Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Mexico has coins that are iron now too, in the last 10 or so years. Man, I thought the USA was chincy/cheap when they went to zinc pennies, but iron coins are about as low as you can go :-\

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the U.K., in fact most of the European copper coins, are a thin copper wash over an iron or steel core.
Doesn't cause to much trouble with most machines except on salt beaches where the bronze finish starts to peel off.

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
Hi Guys and Gals: Did you know pure nickel is magnetic. Some of the (iron) coins are really mostly nickel clad. (Canadian Coins)

Les

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I thought the USA was chincy/cheap when they went to zinc pennies, but iron coins are about as low as you can go
Dont be too sure. I have some Belizean 5 cent coins made of aluminum. This stuf really IS nothing more than play money.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
I wonder what would happen if all the people wanted to have their money exchanged into real gold, as in the worth the coins are supposed to have at face value ?
I think a lot of countries couldn´t pay it !
HH Ray

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no doubt of it. A country would go broke long before it could meet its obligation to pay on its coinage. In truth, they do not have the obligation to make good on it at all.
Coinage is for the convenience of trade and commerce, and nothing more. The government makes money selling it to us, while not actually backing it - and I don't believe they even have the obligation to issue it!

I dont know what your Brit money has on it, but US currency no longer even claims to be worth anything. It used to state that it was payable on demand, whatever the face value was.
Now it is a "Federal Reserve Note," that is, a note issued against something of value, reputedly held in reserve.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Yepper, the money situation is really weird.

Today iron money, tomorrow plastic, the next thing we're all back to caves and clubs (golf clubs).

"It's a sad commentary on a disintegrating society."

Badger

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
I think it won´t be too long before people start getting fed up of all the tax money they pay being withered away by politicians on idiotic projects, and will start reverting to the barter system. (You service my car, I´ll build your wall, you put my new bathroom in, I´ll do your garden, etc)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
rayredditch said:
I think it won´t be too long before people start getting fed up of all the tax money they pay being withered away by politicians on idiotic projects, and will start reverting to the barter system. (You service my car, I´ll build your wall, you put my new bathroom in, I´ll do your garden, etc)

A agree. Right now the best way to beat the feds is to do ebay.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread