ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of the most asked questions on Treasure net.
And a loaded one at that.

There are various factors that will help answer this in the form of the best detector for you.
Like...
Where do you plan on detecting ?
Beaches ?
Or ?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The KING - Minelab GPZ 7000 :occasion14:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
This is one of the most asked questions on Treasure net.
And a loaded one at that.

There are various factors that will help answer this in the form of the best detector for you.
Like...
Where do you plan on detecting ?
Beaches ?
Or ?

Dude I need one that has a paper money setting. But I want it to be a wide scan and mounted on my dashboard that pinpoints when I drive by and tells me exactly what it is before I even try to find parking.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude I need one that has a paper money setting. But I want it to be a wide scan and mounted on my dashboard that pinpoints when I drive by and tells me exactly what it is before I even try to find parking.

I want a detector that finds precious stones.

A diamond detector :)

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is like asking 'What is the best car?' without telling us if you mean for families, for racing, for commuting, etc.

So...

For what? As in are you looking for large iron objects? Or small gold? Or coins?

Where? On the beach? In the ocean? In a river? On a farm?

What kind of soil? Highly mineralized? Low mineralization? Sand? Clay?

Do you need discrimination? Is the are trashy? Clean?

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How long is a piece of rope?
We need a lot more information before we can give a recommendation.
Where do you plan to detect? Parks, Beaches, Ghost towns, Farm fields, in the water, etc.
What's your budget? $200, $500, $ 1,000 or more.
What will you be looking for? Relics, Coins, Jewelry, Nuggets ?

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no ONE best metal detector. They are all similar to tools in your toolbox, the right tool for the job. A beach or water detector may not be the best choice for land. One that does well for relics may not be the best for jewelry or gold. Feel free to give me a call, or post here some additional information so we can assist you in your quest.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
How long is a piece of rope?
We need a lot more information before we can give a recommendation.
Where do you plan to detect? Parks, Beaches, Ghost towns, Farm fields, in the water, etc.
What's your budget? $200, $500, $ 1,000 or more.
What will you be looking for? Relics, Coins, Jewelry, Nuggets ?

This is like asking 'What is the best car?' without telling us if you mean for families, for racing, for commuting, etc.

So...

For what? As in are you looking for large iron objects? Or small gold? Or coins?

Where? On the beach? In the ocean? In a river? On a farm?

What kind of soil? Highly mineralized? Low mineralization? Sand? Clay?

Do you need discrimination? Is the are trashy? Clean?

Good answers. And when this question is answered by counter-questions such as you two have posed: The Original poster will often humorously answer in the following way: "All of the above", haha (I mean no disrespect for this OP here).

But as you well know, that's circular. So if a guy wants to haul gravel, he should consider a 10-wheel dump truck. If he wants to take the kids to soccer practice, he should consider a mini-van. If he wants zero to 60 at breakneck speed, he might consider a corvette. If he wants gas mileage, consider a mini-cooper, and so forth.

And as for "depth" criteria in the OP's question, that too is a loaded question. Because the obvious followup is: How much trash are you willing to dig ? If someone wants ultimate depth , there's prospecting machines that can go nearly 2 ft. deep on coins ! But HEAVEN HELP YOU if you tried to use one of those in a park or relic site, since the bells of notre dame would ring on every single pinhead out there, doh! :)

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BEST is the one you have with you, know how to use well, and is set up for what and where you want to hunt. Assuming you also mean inexpensive, I think best "bang for buck" can be found in the Tesoro line.

I'd have to be seriously nuts to buy a $7000 detector, just to go have fun with...especially when it'll be considered obsolete when the new "8000" model comes out. :tongue3:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To answer everyone's questions including the op's original question, get a Minelab CTX 3030.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here ya go! :skullflag:

Attachments

• Bestmd.jpg
    Bestmd.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 108

roadapple

Nov 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ah yes !!!! That one is called a "Bonnie and Clyde" Special. It finds the money banks with pinpoint accuracy, and it's best not best to try and find parking when you retrieve the bags of money. :laughing7:

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How much money you got to spend anyways?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
How much money you got to spend anyways?

No matter what price restrictions someone had in mind (filthy rich versus meager poor), they still can not get to 2nd base, till a multitude of other questions are answered.

Or put another way: No amount of money can get you a motor vehicle that can haul gravel, compete in short track racing, seat 10 passengers, and have excellent gas mileage. Hence the inevitable question: What does a person which to do with their detector ? Same as you'd as a motorist planning to buy a "vehicle" :)

OP
OP
I

ijon

Greenie
Jun 28, 2015
michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 28-RC-WS5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking around five hundred. I will be detecting around torn down houses,barns and fields.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
To answer everyone's questions including the op's original question, get a Minelab CTX 3030.

Agreed. This is probably the answer for most people when they ask this question...

I was thinking around five hundred. I will be detecting around torn down houses,barns and fields.

Talk about throwing us off. We are all here suggesting machines that cost thousands $$$$ :laughing7: I would look at the AT Pro, Fisher F75, Xp Dues...to name a few. Might need to go used to get one at your price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread