Detector(s) used
ACE 150
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt, not a one of these will detect in feet. More like a few inches and this depends on the soil mineralization, coil size, size of target and conductivity of same. An a few other variables thrown in to make it interesting. These starter detectors do not have a ground balance feature which limits the depth they will get. You generally get what you pay for.

As for how many years back things are found is not usually determined by the depth of the object. Sometimes old coins are laying right on top and the new clad are deep.

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Sandman said:
Sometimes old coins are laying right on top and the new clad are deep.

Yep I found a dime from 1981 8 inches down and a 1826 large cent 4 inches down.
As for depth, I have never used those machines, but I know there is a reason some of us
shell out the extra money. It sounds like the ACE 250 is a good low cost detector
and I am saving the clad I dig to get one so I can let others use it while I use mine. HH,
Donny

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I'll speak for what I have based on some experience. An ACE 250 can see well down to about 4 inches. What I mean by see well is that it can ID properly. Anything deeper (In my opinion) begins to get jumpy on the target ID display. That is where you have to use other tools to determine whether to dig or not. I will use the PP'er to see if the size seems right and if the depth being indicated while in PP mode matches the depth being indicated in non PP mode. This is a handy technique for coins, since the depth readings are really meant for them. In any event, I've pulled dimes and pennies out with the 250 at 7 inches here and there, and that is not bad. Lot's of variables out there that affect the depth capability of the machine.

OP
OP
MattNumistic

MattNumistic

Apr 20, 2007
England
Detector(s) used
ACE 150
Okay, thanks for all the replies, though I think I'm getting a 150 which is even more budget! ;D hehe...

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
MattNumistic said:
Okay, thanks for all the replies, though I think I'm getting a 150 which is even more budget! ;D hehe...

consider the 250. the pinpoint feature alone is worth the extra money.

jimmatt_43

Feb 2, 2007
I have an ace 250 and pull a lot of coins at 6 inches or slightly more.1936 wheat just an hour ago.
Good luck,
Jim

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
I would get a Silver Saber uMax or a Compadre. I used to own a 250 but found it was tough to center and got less depth in real bad ground than the low-end Tesoros. I gave it to my daughter. It now sits in her closet.

The Fisher 1212 will outdo the Ace 150 and 250 in depth too, but the Garrett does have lots of toys on it. My 250 only got 3-4 inches or less in disc. and up to 4-5 inches in all-metal. Both the low priced Fishers and Tesoros got an extra inch or more in all cases, no matter where they are used. The little Tesoros weigh only 2.2 pounds, .7 lb. less than the 250.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
ace 250.. lots of happy users on here. would be my choice for a budget detector.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found my 7th merc with mine today...it was about as deep as I have found a coin..about 5 to 6 inches...most were only 2 inches down. I have been more than satisfied with my 250. Oh..but I did find a large tape measure at the beach at about 10 to 12" but that was a big chunk of metal..lol I thought I had found the pot of gold..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread