Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll have to grid search it or you'll miss a lot of ground. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478046951.767542.jpg

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suppose you are talking "farm fields" ... Best tip I can give is ... early morning , after a rain, ride the perimeter of a field and survey for glittering pieces of glass .... homesite ...

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for glass, brick, etc. I search any high spots or hills from there. That is of course if historicaerials and other research yields little. From there depending on if I have time or not I'll start grinding small sections and trip after trip will eventually cover the field. You'll get the hang of it. Look at the treelines. Any obvious old road beds going in or out?
Set your discrim low and listen for iron.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Here in the USA, you don't want to just go to "any old field". We're in too new of a country for that to be worthwhile. Perhaps in Britain and Europe they can just waltz out to any cultivated field and .... start finding stuff. But go figure: Some of those fields over there have had continuous cultivation for 3000+ yrs. ! (of which only the last 100 to 150-ish yrs. has been by mechanical means). Contrast to the USA, where our history is much too young for "random losses" to accumulate "in the middle of nowhere".

So whatever field you're picking has to have a reason. Like, was there a picnic site there that you researched out ? A stage stop at one time ? An emigrant trail traveller camping spot ? And old house at one time ? Etc.... Or like Coil-to-soil says: Out of place brick, crockery, rust, glass, etc... that evidences a structure once stood there ?

OP
OP
ShovelinDave

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in the USA, you don't want to just go to "any old field". We're in too new of a country for that to be worthwhile. Perhaps in Britain and Europe they can just waltz out to any cultivated field and .... start finding stuff. But go figure: Some of those fields over there have had continuous cultivation for 3000+ yrs. ! (of which only the last 100 to 150-ish yrs. has been by mechanical means). Contrast to the USA, where our history is much too young for "random losses" to accumulate "in the middle of nowhere".

So whatever field you're picking has to have a reason. Like, was there a picnic site there that you researched out ? A stage stop at one time ? An emigrant trail traveller camping spot ? And old house at one time ? Etc.... Or like Coil-to-soil says: Out of place brick, crockery, rust, glass, etc... that evidences a structure once stood there ?

Hey Tom thank you for taking the time to help me out. I got a couple permissions on some old farm houses. I picked them out because the houses are close to the fields. One house is 1861 and the other is 1882. I figured with the house, barns and field so close with no farm machinery. They probably used horses or mules for the tiling. I did spend a couple hours in one field and found some old iron stuff. Nothing to keep me interested in the field. I think I need to be a little more patient while out there swinging. Plus get some tips. I appreciate the people here on t-net. A lot of experience here with the members and that a plus for us greenhorns. Thanks again.

OP
OP
ShovelinDave

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot guys for the tips. I really appreciate it.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I start with the census maps, then historicaerials.com the night before. Then I go check the entrances and exits then walk the old road or perimeter always looking for glass and brick chunks. Then check the high spots where you would want to sit after picking a field all day. Then I check around the big old tree in the middle (or where they would have been in my minds eye) or along any area with too much junk to be plowed so they turn into a hedgerow. Then I walk diagonally across the field. If nothing has turned up I go elsewhere or go grab a beer. By now you should have found something interesting. When I find an old button, melted lead or concentration of nails and debris indicating a structure (i.e. interesting targets) I leave the clod up as a marker and do the spiral out from there to a twenty or thirty foot radius. If you don't find anything in the spiral put the clod back and keep swinging. When I find coins or an old homesite I grid it using drumsticks with a plastic bag tied on for visibility and try to walk the rows with slight overlap digging everything except obvious iron. I'd love to hear from others. I am gearing up for the farm field season rt now!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread