Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had three remarkable permissions recently. One large Victorian home from 1886, another nearby house built in 1887, and what was once a farm house from 1900 (now part of a suburb).

Nothing older than Wheaties in any of the three. Not even that at the Victorian. The farmhouse I had done twice so far.

In two of the cases, I was able to confirm that at some point, fill dirt was brought in and the yard replanted. In the case of the Victorian, I suspect as much but just a guess.

I was able to run with high depth settings in all cases, because the yard was relatively junk-free, but if there was anything old there, it was still out of my reach.

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Anytime you can swing the MD is a good day!

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very true, plus, I no longer have to wonder and yearn when I drive past those places.

Well... I still will. I know that I missed something.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have hit many places that appeared to be "the spot" with little or no results. Part of it might be that somebody has already hit the place, and, yes, I know the owner said that nobody had hunted the place before. Fill dirt can be the kiss of death, as can a bulldozer or landscaping. Look for the spots with old thin blade grass... that have been disturbed.

It is nice to be able to drive by and NOT wonder any longer.

Best of luck to you!

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heard a story recently from a local club member, said he got permission for a farm that dates back to at least the late 1800s. Swung and swung, nothing, not even junk signals. Finally finds out from the elderly land owner that the previous owner sold off all of the sod right before he moved, likely taking the goodies with it :o

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yards are hit and miss. For this reason, and various others. I recall in the early 1980s I used to do a lot of door-knocking and yard hunting. And the results were all over the spectrum: Some would be inexplicably sterile (even though they looked like native grass!). And another, just down the block, same exact age, same exact look, would have 100 coins with silver and so forth. You just never know !

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I finally hit my yard last year found over $5 in clad. Might be more there. My kids planted the money they "borrowed" from me.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sometimes u can tell by looking at the soil. i hit an old farm than surely must have had a sandy type soil brought in. but, way in the back, near the woods, the soil changed back to what i considered the natural dirt. guess what, old coin and many relics. next i will hit the woods there.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
sometimes u can tell by looking at the soil.....

I was going to say that too. But then distinctly recalled some that I've hit over the years, that have the exact same "look" as original un-disturbed grass. Such that you just drool looking at them. But then you start hunting, and discover that even 1970's memorials are 9" down. Doh! So sometimes even looks can be deceiving.

But yes: Others are a dead-giveaway for having been re-sodded.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yards are hit and miss. For this reason, and various others. I recall in the early 1980s I used to do a lot of door-knocking and yard hunting. And the results were all over the spectrum: Some would be inexplicably sterile (even though they looked like native grass!). And another, just down the block, same exact age, same exact look, would have 100 coins with silver and so forth. You just never know !
I suspect that at least part of it has to do with the fact that most (or all?) of those old houses, at least in my area, were built by immigrants. I don't think they let many pennies stay lost for long, if they could help it. And losing something like a silver dollar would probably have merited a family hunt.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was going to say that too. But then distinctly recalled some that I've hit over the years, that have the exact same "look" as original un-disturbed grass. Such that you just drool looking at them. But then you start hunting, and discover that even 1970's memorials are 9" down. Doh! So sometimes even looks can be deceiving.

But yes: Others are a dead-giveaway for having been re-sodded.

i am talking about the soil, not the grass. i have seen filler type sand under the grass. the filler sand is very different than the "normal" soil in an area.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I suspect that at least part of it has to do with the fact that most (or all?) of those old houses, at least in my area, were built by immigrants. I don't think they let many pennies stay lost for long, if they could help it. And losing something like a silver dollar would probably have merited a family hunt.

i would think you are correct. i found a 1908 V nickle in what was an old farm. 5 cents would get you a new house, a car, and something to drink back then. Poor soul that lost it. :dontknow:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Landscaping & Fill Dirt

i would think you are correct. i found a 1908 V nickle in what was an old farm. 5 cents would get you a new house, a car, and something to drink back then. Poor soul that lost it. :dontknow:

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Landscaping & Fill Dirt

972135ac9802f94cd6eb6ab14f0087e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
9105241d5b2d440c579227d2b0743aa0.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit another one today, I suspect. House build 1930, current owners have been there for 30 years and to their knowledge, nobody has metal detected. The house was brick, and the layer at ground level had the bricks laid vertically rather than horizontally... a starting layer done differently than the rest... and that was mostly uncovered, so I figured it would be OK.

I found a lot of coins... pennies mostly, but aside from one 1957 Wheatie, everything else was 1970's or newer.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit another one today, I suspect. House build 1930, current owners have been there for 30 years and to their knowledge, nobody has metal detected. The house was brick, and the layer at ground level had the bricks laid vertically rather than horizontally... a starting layer done differently than the rest... and that was mostly uncovered, so I figured it would be OK.

I found a lot of coins... pennies mostly, but aside from one 1957 Wheatie, everything else was 1970's or newer.

Keep it up never give up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soil accumulates every year at different rates, depending on the vegetation, rainfall, etc. The local rates can usually be found by searching on the internet on the State Agriculture sites.

This will give you an idea of how deep the artifacts would be. Sidewalks are a good identification, if you can see when they were installed (many have dated stamps), and the depth of soil at the edges.

Even at an 1/8 inch per year, for 100 years, that is a little over 12 inches of soil build up from the grass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread