Ricoble

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2016
New castle, pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am currently using a Garrett Ace 400 and I'm not having any problems with it yet. I live in western Pa and I'm usually digging corn fields, cellar holes, small creeks in the area, etc. My question is, I'm getting the urge to buy a new machine. I've got my eye on the Garrett AT Pro and I'd like someone with experience on both detectors to give their input. Is the AT Pro that much better than the Ace 400? Is the "ground balancing" feature useful? Any opinion either pro/con for each detector will be greatly appreciated...I need to decide if it's worth convincing my wife that I "need a new toy"..as she always says..lol. I'm fairly new to the sport and I'm trying to learn from the more experienced diggers.
Thanks guys/gals!:headbang:

Upvote 0

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth be told, I am not a big VDI guy - Especially in the water where I use the AT. Plus as I alluded to before, your VDI may not be my VDI unless our detecting setups are identical. It is a potentially helpful, variable visual guide that should be used with caution. No matter what machine you use, if you consistently dig only certain ranges deeming all other ranges trash, it is not a matter of if but rather when you will pass on something valuable.

That is why I don't accept as valid guys who say "I never dig any bottle caps or foil, I can easily tell the difference !" - Fact is, if you don't dig them then you have no idea if you passed on a pulltab or gold band.

What is VDI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is VDI?

You just asked about them, now you want to know what they are ??

Not sure if you are yanking my chain here, if you really want to know google it up.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You just asked about them, now you want to know what they are ??

Not sure if you are yanking my chain here, if you really want to know google it up.

Excuse my ignorance I meant no disrespect I just didn't know what VDI was. I will definitely start Goggling first from now on.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VDI are the numbers that pop up on detectors so equipped with that feature.
It is more or less a visual reference that compliments the sound, though some guys seem to think the sound compliments the VDI.

Numbers vary by machine, coil, frequencies and more so I've never relied much on them though they can be surprisingly accurate at times.
Here is a thread hereI googled up about vdi

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/329872-vdi-charts.html

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VDI are the numbers that pop up on detectors so equipped with that feature.
It is more or less a visual reference that compliments the sound, though some guys seem to think the sound compliments the VDI.

Numbers vary by machine, coil, frequencies and more so I've never relied much on them though they can be surprisingly accurate at times.
Here is a thread hereI googled up about vdi

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/329872-vdi-charts.html

I just got home and I'll be sure to read it. I appreciate it thank you

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ricoble, I haven't used the Ace 400, but used an Ace 250 when I started out and have since upgraded to the AT Pro. I know that the 400 is much closer to the Pro than the 250, but my opinion should still be somewhat valid. You and I hunt the same kind of areas (mostly woodland old home sites and such) and I find that I really appreciate the waterproofing of the AT Pro... how many times I was stuck in a bit of rain with the 250 and had to baby it along, being careful to keep it out of the dewy grass, etc. Now, with the Pro, just dunk it in the water and swish it around when it gets muddy. Hose it off when you get home. It really is nice to not have to worry about that. Also, as others have said, SOUND is a huge boon with the Pro... you can use it in a mode which will mimic (somewhat) the 400, but once you are used to 'pro mode', you will look less and less at the screen and just listen and get a lot more out of your machine. That said, I have found some really excellent things with the 250... really excellent, and would not feel the least bit under-gunned with a Ace 400 at all!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get to know the 400 WELL before moving on. It would be hard to make an informed decision on the AT PRO until you've had enough time on the 400 to really know the diff. If the type of detecting you do is covered by the 400, you may not need to go to the PRO. Everyone's needs are not the same. Find a friend that has a PRO so you can try it out FIRST. BY that I mean you may even STEP UP higher than the PRO by the time you want to spend the extra money! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread