Ace 250 swing speed

blacktoe

Greenie
Jul 3, 2007
S.E. Georgia
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Fisher F4, Tek Omega
I notice some people mention swing speed for a particular detector for searching and pinpointing. In your experience with a 150 or 250 what speed have you found that works best? I usually swing kinda fast and when finding a target go slower over it and pinpoint. How slow can you go with a 250 and get a right reading? I notice when I go slow a lot of times it jumps all over the place, but faster gets a ding. Sometimes trash, sometimes a good target. So far in my yard I have found a couple of dollars, 1 military button, a 1991 woodstock token and a bunch of tabs, nails and various junk.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swinging fast is not a good idea. About 1 foot per second is fine. When you slow it down, it will report on more targets. Fast swingers usuall swing it pendulem style with the coil higher on the ends of the swing. A sweep is more like it with the coil level with the ground from side to side.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An exception to the swing slower rule is when hunting in club sponsored seeded hunts. You have to swing as fast as you can and be alert for any sign of just a chirp. Then go back over the area and verify. If you don't go fast you will never be competative. I have found the ACE 250 to have adequate response times for such club hunts. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread