War nickels, Dig all the numbers if you want them!!

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are bored here is a quick Read :) Some may already know, but I know a lot don't so figured I would make this video. 35% silver of course..

I have dug a lot of war nickels and I noticed they have been all over the board for me. I have brought it up in the past and folks always say that is weird and even went as far as to say something could be wrong with the machine. Well on another forum someone else noticed they were having the same thing with their ETRAC. They were thinking it was only a ETRAC thing. So anyways I figured I would make a quick couple of videos showing how a few I have dug ring up on my 1 month old CTX and my near new Deus. And just a note. I got consistant readings with all my other silver coins in the pile, Dimes, Quarters, halves and buffalos were consistent as well. Could it be a "S" mintmark thing? Get out yours and check..

Anyways the moral of the story is if you want war nickels you need to dig all signals:icon_thumright: Makes me wonder how many I have passed up during the years:icon_scratch: Enjoy

CTX video with war nickels

Deus video with war nickels

Last edited:
Upvote 0

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Interesting. I have a few that I have found this year, i will check them.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
It's possible that the amount of silver in each of the coins was not consistent. It was wartime after all and nobody was going to jump on the government for it as they were worth more having silver in them as it was.

Tradertom

Jul 20, 2016
South Central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP DEUS, AT PRO plus several older detector going back 45 years.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting Demonstration!
Thanks for the videos

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1 probe, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
12-23 is as high as I've found a war nickel with my Etrac. Most of them seem to hit at 12-15 for me.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for posting the video. Only recently - about 50 hours on my CTX, have I even judged a dig based on the numbers. Good signals get dug.

My last time out, following and during the about 6 week long drought here on a manicured lawn, I only went by known good numbers - but I had good solid signals with the "other" numbers. I've been pretty conservative considering the danger to the grass.

I need about 450 more hours on the CTX!

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Maybe the next version of detector software will be able to date and mint mark ID the coin. <grin>

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
I am going to be nice. Concerning the CTX and war nicks, I would say something is wrong here that they are reading that high.

OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you happen to watch both videos where 2 perfect working order machines of 2 different brands read the same so no the s mint mark nickels are reading high on both the ctx and deus, plus an at pro, then my buddies ctx, and his Fisher f75 as well. It is for sure the nickels. I posted this only after a couple other people noticed that with the s mint mark war nickels were reading way high as well. MY CTX is perfect

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread