Tesoro Tejon vs Vaquero

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been reading the reviews on these two machines and more people seem to be happy with the Vaquero than the Tejon for relic hunting. The reviews on the Tejon seem to be split and some people think it doesn't do well in mineralized ground. However, the reviews of the Vaquero seem to think that even though it has fewer bells and whistles it has about the same depth capability as the Tejon. None of the Tejon reviews were close to North Alabama, which would allow me to judge if the soil conditions were about the same. Is it an accurate assessment to say that the chief differences are that the Tejon has more features than the Vaquero, but in average mineralized ground the Vaquero will have about the same depth capability as the Tejon?

Upvote 0

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Canewrap said:
Is it an accurate assessment to say that the chief differences are that the Tejon has more features than the Vaquero, but in average mineralized ground the Vaquero will have about the same depth capability as the Tejon?

No. They either A). Did not learn to use a Tejon correctly, B) Never used a Tejon so don't know how to compare the two, or C) had a sub par Tejon off the production line. The Tejon is deeper hands down. You have to fiddle with the Vaquero to get max depth by almost redlining the sensitivity and turning the threshold all the way up. The Tejon you just need to turn the sensitivity up until it's stable and it is still deeper.

I have both. I use both. The Tejon is deeper. Not so much deeper on silver coins, but on lower conductors like lead and brass. The only time I use the Vaquero much anymore is when I don't feel like swapping out coils and the Vaquero has the coil I want to use for the day.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all been covered very well by Gribnitz. The Tejon is deeper on relics period. Makes not a lot of difference of what ground you have as both have ground balance. People tend to compare apples with oranges just because these two detectors are made by the same company they think they are the same only one with more features.

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
I purchased a Tejon about 2 months ago. It took me 4 outings to begin to realize the capabilities of it. I'm still working at it. Ground balancing was trial and error. Once I figured it out, I started digging small targets from 10 inches plus. I probably would have written a bad review about poor performance had I jumped to conclusions off the bat. I think the Tejon works well. The dual discrimination is something that is very useful. The trigger pinpoint is also cool. Best thing, compare used detectors. Sometimes you can get a used Tejon for almost the exact same price as a used Vaquero - about $350. Get the Tejon used, if you don't like it after giving it a chance, you can probably trade it straight up for a nice Vaquero. Good luck,

Ian

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...more people seem to be happy with the Vaquero than the Tejon for relic hunting. The reviews on the Tejon seem to be split and some people think it doesn't do well in mineralized ground. The reviews of the Vaquero seem to say that even though it has fewer bells and whistles, it has about the same depth capability as the Tejon.
Is it an accurate assessment to say that the chief differences are that the Tejon has more features than the Vaquero, but in average mineralized ground the Vaquero will have about the same depth capability as the Tejon?

The Tejon is probably going to be deeper across the board, but at a cost, as it is more demanding to use. Much will depend on you, your experience and style of hunting. It seems many of the problems with the Badger stem from those who insist on running their SENS wide open all the time. Perhaps, too, there isn't enough understanding of the mineral cancellation (ground balance) function for most people. I know one guy who uses his T for park hunting (gasp!) and does fine with it... mostly because he throttles it back, sets his ground balance at neutral without alot of tomfoolery and then lets it work in the environment at hand.

If Im hearing you, you are leaning towards the Vaquero, for reasons that are your own. I suggest you get one, try it for awhile and see what you think. I predict you will be pleased with it. After all, if you fancy yourself a relic hunter, all that dual disc stuff is moot. You are going to set your DISC low and dig everything, anyway.

If you dont like the V, they are easy to resell and you wont lose much, if anything, in the bargain.

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT-pro, Fisher CZ-21 , Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a Tejon now for 2 years and I have to say I do not find much silver coins with it. When I do the coin will be with something else like another coin.

I almost missed a 1945 silver quarter in 5-6 inches deep good old newEngland soil and after I dug what was barely a sound I was surprised to see it was a Silver quarter. I put it back it the hole facing up and tried to get the Tejon to pick it up and it barely could. I had to negative balance a bit to get to read. My disrcim was at just below 5 cents. Its great on Indian heads and liberty nickels I get them..but not silver. Lead and brass its insane how deep you will go. I have found old gold jewelry also. My silver issue might be rechargeable batteries as they never give a full series of beeps on the battery test as alkaline batteries do

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually hunt with the Vaquero, equipped with the 11" x 8" Widescan coil (10" - 11" on a dime, small flat button). The same coil on the Tejon is a killer, and on average 2" deeper (11" - 13").

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread