Ever have a panhandler try to get change from you while detecting?

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
Not as of yet, but the kids on the playground are forever asking me if they can have the next thing I find. I do on occasion give up some clad, but I have started very politely telling them that I will be keeping it for my own collection. They still seem thrilled to "help" and continue to follow me regardless.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tend to look scruffier than they do... ;D

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not while detecting but, they try to get change from me while I'm in the down town area all the time! They tell stories of how they are hungry, etc. so, I just tell them, "there's a burger place around the corner and I'll go buy you a hamberg and meet you back here in 5 minutes". They usually just say "forget it"!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Interesting post and yes...had a guy ask me for .75 cents. I thought it odd to be asking for a specific amount and he wasn't being greedy. I hadn't dug anything when he came by but told him to come back in an hour and I'd have it for him.....I dug it but he never showed...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not while detecting, but one day in Atlantic City on the Boardwalk I got hit up on every block. Seems they either had radios Or another Signal, For us Suckers, who Give :D

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
I got Mcdonald's gift certificates that I keep in my wallet for when I see someone in need. that way I can give someone a hot meal without adding to any potential bad habits! 8)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats how lowbatts and me meet! ;D me doing the pan part him with an AX handle."hey buddy spare a dime,now give us your wallet!" :o kidding!

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
This is always my favorite story about panhandlers. Back before Bobbie moved down here ,There was one who hung out outside the Mc Donalds in one of the cities that we metal detect in . Anyway I would always give him a buck, when I went through the drive through . One morning while waiting for my order after he already got his dollar, he came up to the truck and asked If i had any more change, I told him no but I offered my hash browns to him. He looked me staight in the face and said no thanks he was watching his cholesterol :D Great a panhandler on a health kick. He has long since left that Mc Donalds, kinda miss seeing him in the mornings
hh

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're such a kind soul FTD!

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
detected a local school once and I had half the playground following me around, and tiping me off about other detectorists who beat me there and found nice rings >:( :D ;D

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms
Had a guy approach me for money. ?when i told him i did not carry any , he replied that i was lying and that he will take billfold and md . ? ?he tried........failed .......i called ambulance .

D

Darod

Green,.. :D :D :D your killin' me.

OK,
I had a guy ask me for money cause he said," I'm really hungry man". I was going to give him a few dollars but I didn't have any cash. So, I told him sorry buddy, I can't help ya out today. Now, he looked to me like he was mmaaaayybbeee trying to get a few bucks for some "drink". I really couldn't tell, and besides, I didn't have any cash to give him anyway. Well, he took off walking while I finished pumping my gas. I thought about it and when I went inside to pay with my honor card I decided to by an egg salad sandwich and a Coke for the guy. I came out and took off driving the direction he went walking. I pulled off the road ahead of him when I finally caught up with him. I rolled down the window and gave him the sandwich and Coke. He said thanks and I took off again. I watched him in my rear view mirror and as I started to get out of sight I saw him throw the sandwich in the bushes,...unopened. He stashed the Coke in his pack.

I just shook my head and said to myself,....he's gonna mix that Coke with somethin' later, I'm sure of it.
Well, lesson learned: Go with your instincts.

Rod

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, but I have had a guy try to sell me cologne out of a briefcase at clearwater beach. LOL

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi
willie d said:
No, but I have had a guy try to sell me cologne out of a briefcase at clearwater beach. LOL?
I'm just posting to get to 50 to see if that's the number that gets newbie off your back, I hate that word. Oh ya, maybe the salesman thought you needed some, I know I could when working up a sweat jerkin out coins.

da Hobo

May 6, 2005
Northern Illinois
Free, you are good people my friend. Loved your story. If you live long enough and watch, you will sooner or later meet that one special case. And tell us true now . . . doesn't Tom just sort of make your day feel right time to time? It isn't always the case and maybe almost NEVER the case but then once in awhile you find a gold coin also, right? ;)

Hobo

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 25 years ago, I was in Chicago for a technical class for my company, IBM. One weekend I was just walking around downtown and I stopped at a street corner waiting for the light to change. This guy comes walking unsteadily up to me with sandals, T-shirt, blue jeans and hadn't shaved for about 4 days(maybe not showered either) and although he wasn't soliciting money, he wanted to solicit my "vote". He said he was running for Mayor of Chicago against the incumbent, Richard M. Daley and he wanted my vote. I said "OK" even though I lived out of state and had a hard time suppressing the "laugh" inside me as I crossed the street after the light change.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread