Good grief I dig a lot of pennies... apparently THOUSANDS of them every year...

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shocked_01.gif
OMG - you are rich!:laughing7:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Skippy,

Give it about a year and that will be your sons monthly slip.

Congrats though.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
If that money doesn't make you filthy rich at least you have filthy money. :laughing7:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you check the return slot for silver?

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't feed dollars and halfs into a coinstar, easy enough to spend so you are just giving $$ away.
Even quarters, when I have a jar of change to take in I'll take out $25 in quarters and buy some smokes/milk whatnot to avoid the 12% raking any way I can.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cash is cash Skippy. I think we'd both rather dig a buck a plug, but we live in reality. I am on a mission to rescue every coin I swing my coil over. I keep a hobby account where I put all my cash into. It comes in handy for tools of the trade, repairs and upgrades.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amen, to that, brother.

I like things I can spend. :) I love how it adds up, too. This coinstar dump went 100% to Christmas gifts from Amazon. It was like I wasn't spending anything at all. Since I'm in it for the rings, and coins (like you say) are "rescued" from the dirt, they're just gravy! I do pass up pennies on occasion, but only if my back is starting to hurt from all the up down, and only if the targets are so plentiful I'd rather spend my time digging nickles, dimes and quarters. But I don't pass up any penny that sounds funny... Those are sometimes rings!

Skippy

I hold onto my clad halves and dollar coins, I figure I may need them when I retire someday. All the other stuff gets rolled and deposited at the bank, except for the pennies. I will use the coinstar for those.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never thought to do the hold the halves and dollars... but that's because they're nasty when they come out of the ground. nothing special for me there.

I've rolled many many times, and then deposited (it's how I fund my eBay 1800's coin habit), but then my bank stopped taking my dirty coins... and so I started taking them to work and shoving in the vending machines, and hitting "eject" and it would kick out shiny new gold dollars (I know, right... despicable me), then I would take those downstairs to the bank (I have a branch at the office where I work, making it super easy)...

But then I stopped caring that much, and realized, I could just trade out cash that I would have spent on Amazon, and deposit THAT into my account... and then just spend on Amazon like I normally would. It was all about what was most convenient.

As for keeping stuff until I retire, I buy 5 silver eagles every year with my clad, as part of my "investment strategy from metal detecting," so that's pretty much more than covering my dollar coins and halves...

Thanks for sharing how you do it... it's always interesting to see how different folks handle the clad.

Cheers,

Skippy

Skippy I put about $180 worth of dug nickles, dimes, and quarters through the vending machines at work and never got a single silver. Just today a friend of mine got a 1953 silver GW in his change from the soda machine. 3 months ago I got a buffalo in change and yet a month ago I found a silver rosie on top of the machine. I guess the guy thought it was a bad coin since it kept being rejected. The only coins I collect are the ones I dig and the ones given to me by friends and relatives.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread