Should I pull the trigger?

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I currently have an ATPro and really do love it; however, I've been considering getting a CTX 3030. I mostly hunt a freshwater lake, some tot lots, and sports fields in my area. I get to the beach for a week or so every year. Normally Ocean City Maryland or the Outer Banks. My ATPro has done well in the dry sand but I would like to get into the water or wet sand this year. I usually am able to get out for 3-4 hours once or twice a week. Daily for about 4 hours when at the beach.

The main thing stopping me is the money. Is it worth it? Will I be happy after spending so much? Anyone else make this jump? I would love to hear your thoughts. Also thoughts on buying new vs used and where to buy? Thanks in advance on your thoughts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The battle royal going on in my mine CTX vs XP? That price on that CTX gives me sticker shock. Ugggh. It's funny the years I've spent learning " the game within the game" of the ATP and then come to the realization it's not that good. Lol I'd like to continue on another machine with similar number reading. Well maybe one with more distinguishing tone between pulltab and gold. Any suggestions tcprnel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi truth.
Exactly how I was feeling. Although expensive you may be surprised at the prices the give treasurenet members if you don't want all the other bundle stuff.
Best of luck!

OP
OP
P

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey PAScott, I just went from the Atp to the CTX. The learning curve is not as bad as you think. Understand, it does take time but you will find stuff right out of the gate. If you don't have Andy's book (CTX 3030 handbook) get it and study it hard. It has helped me tremendously! He puts it in plan English and if you already know how to detect it will make sense. Get the machine in your hand and play with the controls until you can move around with confidence. (I drove my wife crazy) once you learn what the settings do and how to get to them then your detecting experience will kick in. Like I said, I've got a ways to go but I already feel confidence in the machine and for me that's half the battle. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

HH RN

That's great to hear relic nut. I ordered the book with the machine. I fully plan on doing my homework and likely will/already am driving my wife nuts also. Glad you are feeling confident with yours. Hope to get there soon.

I was told there is a mode that makes the sounds somewhat similar to what I am used to with th ATPro for getting started.

Thanks again.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great to hear relic nut. I ordered the book with the machine. I fully plan on doing my homework and likely will/already am driving my wife nuts also. Glad you are feeling confident with yours. Hope to get there soon.

I was told there is a mode that makes the sounds somewhat similar to what I am used to with th ATPro for getting started.

Thanks again.
PM sent.

HH RN

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks again.

My advice is to just learn the detector as its own entity. Don't try to make it sound or behave like something else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread