Should I pull the trigger?

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I currently have an ATPro and really do love it; however, I've been considering getting a CTX 3030. I mostly hunt a freshwater lake, some tot lots, and sports fields in my area. I get to the beach for a week or so every year. Normally Ocean City Maryland or the Outer Banks. My ATPro has done well in the dry sand but I would like to get into the water or wet sand this year. I usually am able to get out for 3-4 hours once or twice a week. Daily for about 4 hours when at the beach.

The main thing stopping me is the money. Is it worth it? Will I be happy after spending so much? Anyone else make this jump? I would love to hear your thoughts. Also thoughts on buying new vs used and where to buy? Thanks in advance on your thoughts.

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the CTX and an Excal - and I love them both.

You love your ATP.

I'd get an Excal if I were you for about half the money. Talk to some of the supporting vendors here and it's unlikely you'll have to pay retail. The Excal is waterproof without worry, where there have been a few issues with the CTX in the water.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did it a couple years ago. The ATP is a great machine for the money but is not is the same class as the CTX. You will have a learning curve but in the end there is no way you will consider going back. I have one up here in Ohio and a second in my condo in Myrtle Beach. Both were bought used with over a years warranty left. If you go the used route be sure to check the serial numbers with Minelab to insure it is genuine product and also to confirm warranty time remaining.

Be sure to buy Sabisch's book. It will cut your learning curve substantially.

The excalibur is sounds only, no digital display which would be quite different than the ATP.

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to point out, the AT excels in the water so I would not upgrade for that reason alone.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to point out, the AT excels in the water so I would not upgrade for that reason alone.
Not in salt water it doesn't. The CTX is tons better there.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I would make the leap.

While I agree that the Excal is a great go-to water machine, the CTX will improve your daily hunting as well.

It is very accurate in it's TID capability, and will out perform the ATP in all aspects.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not in salt water it doesn't. The CTX is tons better there.

He is in PA and said "I mostly hunt a freshwater lake".
Saltwater is 0 factor for quite a few folks including me, I understand you guys on coasts it is just the opposite.

From the way his post is phrased, almost sounds like OP is unaware the AT is a hybrid water machine. If he wants to go into the water with it there is nothing to stop him but the cold water itself. Also would need a set of dedicated water headphones if you go in over 3 ft.

I know 2 guys that have a 3030 but are so paranoid about toasting a $2.5K machine that they never use it in the water and instead use AT's, almost expendable compared to the 3030.

Last edited:

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I would assume that any machine he would buy new would be the new model or he would use the grey o rings in the battery pack. I don't have any problems since the updated hardware came out. BTW I had my ATP toasted in water and also an early version of the ctx. The atp had water penetrate the faceplate. The ctx had improperly torqued usb port.

The atp would pick up pieces of iron at Myrtle in wet sand and drive me crazy. None of that with the ctx. I remember the days of ground balancing 3 times going from the hotel to the wet sand and then be limited to MAYBE 5 inches of depth. The ctx has none of those issues. Comparing the 2 machines is in injustice to both machines. They both fill a sweet spot in the market.

I sold my atp for 450 on ebay, bought an 18 month old ctx for 1600 and never looked back.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Look at the stuff I have on the left.

It's all sitting still now, almost abandoned, since I got my 3030.

OP
OP
P

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the CTX and an Excal - and I love them both.

You love your ATP.

I'd get an Excal if I were you for about half the money. Talk to some of the supporting vendors here and it's unlikely you'll have to pay retail. The Excal is waterproof without worry, where there have been a few issues with the CTX in the water.

I did consider the excalibur for that reason;however, like the ID screen. May still be the option I go with. Thanks deepseeker!

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need a water setup.

OP
OP
P

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did it a couple years ago. The ATP is a great machine for the money but is not is the same class as the CTX. You will have a learning curve but in the end there is no way you will consider going back. I have one up here in Ohio and a second in my condo in Myrtle Beach. Both were bought used with over a years warranty left. If you go the used route be sure to check the serial numbers with Minelab to insure it is genuine product and also to confirm warranty time remaining.

Be sure to buy Sabisch's book. It will cut your learning curve substantially.

The excalibur is sounds only, no digital display which would be quite different than the ATP.

Thanks for the info tcornel! I figure it will take me a while to get used to it. I've liked the ATPro because it wasn't too complicated. Hope if I get a ctx I will have the patience for the learning curve. Sounds like the book is a must. Lack of display is my concern with excalibur since I'm used to one now.

OP
OP
P

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Agree xray. Love it in fresh water but wonder if I'm getting same depth. Saltwater is very hard though with ATPro. I know others say they can make it work. They are much smarter than me then.

OP
OP
P

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For a week's worth of beaching, I think the Excal II would be a better call. It'll do great in the freshwater lake, but the AT Pro would be just fine for tot lots and sports fields. Personally, I'd go with the Excall II for the water, and the AT Pro on land.

Cheers,

Skippy

Thanks for the feedback Skippy. That may still be what I do. I'm still very undecided.

OP
OP
P

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would make the leap.

While I agree that the Excal is a great go-to water machine, the CTX will improve your daily hunting as well.

It is very accurate in it's TID capability, and will out perform the ATP in all aspects.

Thanks for the thoughts beerguy!

OP
OP
P

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He is in PA and said "I mostly hunt a freshwater lake".
Saltwater is 0 factor for quite a few folks including me, I understand you guys on coasts it is just the opposite.

From the way his post is phrased, almost sounds like OP is unaware the AT is a hybrid water machine. If he wants to go into the water with it there is nothing to stop him but the cold water itself. Also would need a set of dedicated water headphones if you go in over 3 ft.

I know 2 guys that have a 3030 but are so paranoid about toasting a $2.5K machine that they never use it in the water and instead use AT's, almost expendable compared to the 3030.

The idea of a $2500 machine leaking does scare me. It also sounds like minelab may be a little less customer service friendly then what I'm used to with Garrett. Not saying it is because I would not know. Just have read a few concerning posts.

OP
OP
P

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I would assume that any machine he would buy new would be the new model or he would use the grey o rings in the battery pack. I don't have any problems since the updated hardware came out. BTW I had my ATP toasted in water and also an early version of the ctx. The atp had water penetrate the faceplate. The ctx had improperly torqued usb port.

The atp would pick up pieces of iron at Myrtle in wet sand and drive me crazy. None of that with the ctx. I remember the days of ground balancing 3 times going from the hotel to the wet sand and then be limited to MAYBE 5 inches of depth. The ctx has none of those issues. Comparing the 2 machines is in injustice to both machines. They both fill a sweet spot in the market.

I sold my atp for 450 on ebay, bought an 18 month old ctx for 1600 and never looked back.

I also needed to have my ATPro repaired after it leaked. Works well now. I'm hearing Minelab fixed the problem. Thanks again!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No harm in having multiple detectors, not necessarily either/or.

I currently have a Deus, F75, Ace 400 and AT Pro.

Oddly, I use the 400 the most, and that is because I keep it in my truck the whole detecting season so it is always handy - Would not do that with the Deus. If I'm going out specifically to hunt or I find a promising location with the 400, then I'll take out the Deus or F75.
AT I use exclusively in the water and it sees alot of action. Never use it on land because I don't like wearing headphones when I don't have to, and the headphone jack on the AT is so ridiculous its hard to put headphones on and off.

Since I have been getting into the water more and more, an Excalibur might be in my future ,, Only then might my AT hit the used market.
3030 I have thought about, thats just too much $$ to lay out for a detector for me, and buy used then you might end up shelling out enough $$ for repairs that you might have well have bought it new.

Of course, some guys have problems with it, some don't, much the same can be said about any machine. But the $$ involved with the 3030 makes any potential problems especially important. $1,500 is my limit for a new detector and I about hit that mark with the Deus.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I upgraded to the 3030 twice and for some reason sold them both and use my Excal in the water and beach.
When I'm only in the sand, wet or dry, I like the sovereign GT.
My AT Pro is for lakes and creeks.
Is it possible you can use a friends CTX to see if you would like it before you lay out the cash?
Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread