Upvote 0

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I have both Garrett black and orange. No issues with either, but I do prefer the large button on the black. Easier to find with a gloved hand for me.

I got them all with detector packages from Bart at Big Boys. I think I have 3 or 4.

I do find that one is starting to false a bit in the hole, so I think I need to replace a battery.

The black ones are all over 2 years old, so I have no complaints.

These things lead a hard life.

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, to each is their own. It is one button on/off, That is the green button. I leave mine full sensitivity so i only need the red button for light on/off. No big deal for me. I hop you find one that works for you. Let us know what you end up with.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been and will continue to be a 580 guy.

Had to replace my ole faithful while back... not due to failure or otherwise... It was due to the twilight zone...
Went to grab it from my hip... and she was gone.

Used a spare 360 I had laying around for a bit... was a cool pinpointer... had its "things" going for it...

But after hopes of the 580 turning up faded... the emptiness of its loss could not be filled by the 360..
I had to replace the 580.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth1253, it does not false when pressing on me or just dirt. Now when I turn it on, I turn it on as I'm sticking the nose in the dirt I'm working to sort of "ground balance" it. When I do that, it never falses. Mine only has an "on" button.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth1253, it does not false when pressing on me or just dirt. Now when I turn it on, I turn it on as I'm sticking the nose in the dirt I'm working to sort of "ground balance" it. When I do that, it never falses. Mine only has an "on" button.

When I'm pressing the down to the ground or my hand and I'm pressing on the back of the pin pointer it vibrates. If that makes sense and my black one is just acting crazy everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"I have the luxury of metal detecting every day and I am hard on my equipment"

I think I might see the problem - Unfortunately, they do not make steel cased pinpointers.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"I have the luxury of metal detecting every day and I am hard on my equipment"

I think I might see the problem - Unfortunately, they do not make steel cased pinpointers.

I guess or they don't make them like they used to

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess or they don't make them like they used to

You've never said the nature of your problems, Garrett would likely repair them for free unless it was a matter of clear abuse.
If you are rough on your equipment then you can expect failures no matter who makes them.

I fancy myself as fairly rough on mine as well, I dig and probe with it all the time. I did take the precaution of putting a rubber cap on the nose for protection, maybe that helped.

Just by looks, the minelab doesn't strike me as an instrument that would stand up to rough use. The garrett is snout shaped, with no discernible body/neck, it is all a single blended shape which is a + for structural rigidity.
The minelab has a body and a neck, and I'd predict that where the body and neck meet is precisely where it would snap in the hands of someone like you or me.

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same problem with mine Pro of garret. It goes crazy time after time and now i hate it beacuse i couldn't find the missing part of a 1000 years old gold coin. It's all its fault.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned the original black pro pointer and now my wife and I both own the pro pointer at's and not a one of them have ever missed a beep. Sounds like a case of horrible luck or abuse.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear about the pinpointers.

I have had (2) black ones and (1) orange with only one issue. Garrett gave me a new black one when, I wore the first one's button out in 11 months. I got a lot of use out of the product, and they still honored the warrantee. If it does not work correctly, send it to Garrett.

Best of luck to you brother!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've never said the nature of your problems, Garrett would likely repair them for free unless it was a matter of clear abuse.
If you are rough on your equipment then you can expect failures no matter who makes them.

I fancy myself as fairly rough on mine as well, I dig and probe with it all the time. I did take the precaution of putting a rubber cap on the nose for protection, maybe that helped.

Just by looks, the minelab doesn't strike me as an instrument that would stand up to rough use. The garrett is snout shaped, with no discernible body/neck, it is all a single blended shape which is a + for structural rigidity.
The minelab has a body and a neck, and I'd predict that where the body and neck meet is precisely where it would snap in the hands of someone like you or me.

I thought the same thing. And when I say "hard on it" I just mean I use it everyday. I don't want to keep sending them back to Garrett every 3 months that's all.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear about the pinpointers.

I have had (2) black ones and (1) orange with only one issue. Garrett gave me a new black one when, I wore the first one's button out in 11 months. I got a lot of use out of the product, and they still honored the warrantee. If it does not work correctly, send it to Garrett.

Best of luck to you brother!

Oh I know I've sent them back before. Garrett is great for that. My biggest mistake was when I sent them both back at the same time and didn't have one for two weeks. I gained a lot of respect for the old-timers I can tell you that. Lol

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pinpointer shouldn't prevent finding something... it only speeds recovery, right? Were you not using a main rig with a coil? Handsfuls of dirt over the coil will isolate a target. Slow, but it works.

Will put it this way I'll never send both of my pinpointers back at the same time. Gives you a whole new respect for the old timers.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You also might miss multiple coins in the same hole.

And if you're turning a groundskeeper-friendly sod flap instead of cutting a plug you need a pinpointer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread