Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SunRay. It's a 1" coil attached to the display and headphones. None better. (But I'd verify the GI-1 works on an AT Pro).

Last edited:

mascard1

Oct 28, 2008
SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030...E-TRAC...EXPLORER SE...EXCALIBER II...TEJON...ELDORADO..LOBO ST...F75LTD...F70...CZ3D...XLT...T2...MXT Pro.. 1861 HALF DOLLAR
Nope...No Sunray for a AT Pro

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makro has won me over. I have had nothing but good service from it. I think it was about $120 or so. I don't see what the big deal is about the garrett pointers. The makro smokes it in comparisons. I would give it a shot. If you don't like it send it back.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makro has won me over. I have had nothing but good service from it. I think it was about $120 or so. I don't see what the big deal is about the garrett pointers. The makro smokes it in comparisons. I would give it a shot. If you don't like it send it back.

I had the Makro I sent the back because I like a one button pinpointer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've heard positive things about the Whites TRX... but again, reviews are reviews. I was pretty dang hard on my black Garrett pointers, and was happy with my orange ones. Had one go bad just this month, though, and sent it in for warranty service. Dunno what went wrong, but it just stopped detecting (though it would beep and vibrate through all the settings). I expect it back in a week or two. The failure was after over 700 hours of field service, though, so it was no slouch.

That being said, I've tried several other cheaper brands (Harbor Freight, Bounty Hunter), and even a Deteknix pin pointer (which I thought was lousy for detecting, since it wouldn't "tone" in contact, or get more rapid... I always felt like I had to SLOWWWW DOWNNNN when using it.).

I often wonder though, if my warranty service is required because I USE them heavily. Probably close to 800 hours of field time a year. That's a lot of button pushing and swirling in the dirt.

If I were to ever switch, I'd probably try the TRX.

Cheers,

Skippy

I have the luxury of metal detecting every day and I am hard on my equipment but I do expect my pin pointers to work when I need them. I've sent both of my pin pointers back to be fixed but I'm getting aggravated with having to do so every couple of months.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my Garrett black several years. Even beat dirt clumps apart with it like it's a hammer. Never had a problem with it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There seems to be a large difference in how folks use and judge pinpointers vs. probes vs. alternatite digging tools.

I have a Merlin SXL Pro (no longer available) that is probably 18 years old now. Still works great.

merlin-probe_zps48yelgii.jpg

It has three lights - a white LED into the hole and one on the face that changes color (and it vibrates at a target hit), or you can use an audio beep. The sensitivity is set with a little dial. Not waterproof so I carry it in a zip-loc baggie in use. Someone needs to reintroduce this in a more "solid state" version.

I also have an F-Point (same as the Bounty Hunter) that came "free" with my Fisher. I actually like this and may be the only detectorist this is true for. It's foolproof and waterproof. I found that by placing the battery in the cap before inserting it everything stays tight and secure. This I carry as a back-up to the SunRay. It's actually quicker and easier in target-rich spots like parks and fairgrounds. Slides right it the side pouch on my carpenter's belt pack. I guess I'm easy on my pinpointers and don't dig or pry with them.

HPIM0091_zps6802e349.jpg

HPIM1702.jpg

All I need a pinpointer for is that last 1" so I don't scratch up the coin or dig past it in the turned plug. I don't want a 2" range because I don't feet that is pinpointing enough - that is still detecting. By lifting the coil as I sweep the main detector I get an idea how deep the target is on coins. The other odd-ball stuff is a little harder to pre-dig estimate.

Shame about the lack of a SunRay for Garrett. They're still the best. ;-) Can't forget or lose them and the battery is always as fresh as those in the detector.

HPIM1351_zpsbb3a0766.jpg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never had any problems with my Minelab pinpointer. I never had any problems with my Garrett PPs (either black or orange) either. The Garrett carrot is by far my favorite. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never had any problems with my Minelab pinpointer. I never had any problems with my Garrett PPs (either black or orange) either. The Garrett carrot is by far my favorite. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Does your ring/vibrate when pressed on dirt or even hand?

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have the Makro and started to have problems after one year of usage. Decided to get the Garrett carrot and so far no problems. My advice; Own two pin pointers because when one eventually dies, you have a backup!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does your ring/vibrate when pressed on dirt or even hand?

No, but it will sound off in the empty hole (high sensitivity mode) so I can see it responding if you shove it into the dirt.

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ive been using a "Land or Sea" for over a year now anywhere I go. From Red Dirt Virginia to north east fields and even up to 20' down scuba diving fresh and salt water (the same PP). They go for about $100. Look into it, I cant make it false, you can use it in vibrate/tone/l.e.d. or combination.

I just saw this on "Detecting Diva" website and thought it might be interesting to you. Good luck. http://detectingdiva.com/my-review-of-the-gold-digger-land-or-sea-pinpointer/#more-4711

Last edited:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The older garrett pps were the best. I am having problems with the newer ones but service has been ok. I have one black one that won't change modes. I bought it off clist for $50 and I am not sure if it is old or a different model but not a super deal if you can't tune it. I have the carrot and drowned my first one within 100 days. The seal around the button went. I sent it for repair and 100 days later same problem. The last time it was fresh water so I pulled the battery, 90% alcohol rinse and fan dried for e=several day with no adverse effects. Now I have it tied and taped up in a length of bike inner tube to really waterproof it.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have the Makro and started to have problems after one year of usage. Decided to get the Garrett carrot and so far no problems. My advice; Own two pin pointers because when one eventually dies, you have a backup!

I do I have the black and orange and they both aren't 100% reliable

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread