I have lost all faith in my Garrett pin pointers
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: I have lost all faith in my Garrett pin pointers

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    23747 times
    Metal Detecting

I have lost all faith in my Garrett pin pointers

I have had nothing but trouble with both of my Garrett pin pointers (black and orange). Can anybody give me some advice on a good reputable pin pointer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Honest Samuel and JoeDirty like this.

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11828 times
    Metal Detecting
    SunRay. It's a 1" coil attached to the display and headphones. None better. (But I'd verify the GI-1 works on an AT Pro).
    Last edited by Charlie P. (NY); Nov 29, 2016 at 09:59 PM.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    3090 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Go with Minelab pointers.
    Truth likes this.

us
    Oct 2008
    SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA
    Ctx 3030...E-TRAC...EXPLORER SE...EXCALIBER II...TEJON...ELDORADO..LOBO ST...F75LTD...F70...CZ3D...XLT...T2...MXT Pro.. 1861 HALF DOLLAR
    15 times
    Nope...No Sunray for a AT Pro
    Honest Samuel and Truth like this.
    JUST A BIG KID ...WITH LOTS OF TOYS!!!

us
    Oct 2016
    Denver Colorado
    Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil, Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
    183 times
    Makro has won me over. I have had nothing but good service from it. I think it was about $120 or so. I don't see what the big deal is about the garrett pointers. The makro smokes it in comparisons. I would give it a shot. If you don't like it send it back.
    Honest Samuel and Truth like this.

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    EQUINOX 800
    23747 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeB_OH View Post
    I Just love how these dudes (with Bought status)... Give advice. Tell me more, wise ones. Good griefff...
    What do you mean?

Iron Buzz likes this.

Charter Member
    us

Apr 2016
    EQUINOX 800
    23747 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDirty View Post
    Makro has won me over. I have had nothing but good service from it. I think it was about $120 or so. I don't see what the big deal is about the garrett pointers. The makro smokes it in comparisons. I would give it a shot. If you don't like it send it back.
    I had the Makro I sent the back because I like a one button pinpointer.

Charter Member
    us

Apr 2016
    EQUINOX 800
    23747 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy SH13 View Post
    I've heard positive things about the Whites TRX... but again, reviews are reviews. I was pretty dang hard on my black Garrett pointers, and was happy with my orange ones. Had one go bad just this month, though, and sent it in for warranty service. Dunno what went wrong, but it just stopped detecting (though it would beep and vibrate through all the settings). I expect it back in a week or two. The failure was after over 700 hours of field service, though, so it was no slouch.

That being said, I've tried several other cheaper brands (Harbor Freight, Bounty Hunter), and even a Deteknix pin pointer (which I thought was lousy for detecting, since it wouldn't "tone" in contact, or get more rapid... I always felt like I had to SLOWWWW DOWNNNN when using it.).

I often wonder though, if my warranty service is required because I USE them heavily. Probably close to 800 hours of field time a year. That's a lot of button pushing and swirling in the dirt.

If I were to ever switch, I'd probably try the TRX.

Cheers,

Skippy
    I have the luxury of metal detecting every day and I am hard on my equipment but I do expect my pin pointers to work when I need them. I've sent both of my pin pointers back to be fixed but I'm getting aggravated with having to do so every couple of months.

I've had my Garrett black several years. Even beat dirt clumps apart with it like it's a hammer. Never had a problem with it.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2015
    Georgia
    White's Spectra V3i
    12 times
    I use the White's TRX pinpointer and love it!
    Truth and RobRieman like this.

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11828 times
    Metal Detecting
    There seems to be a large difference in how folks use and judge pinpointers vs. probes vs. alternatite digging tools.

I have a Merlin SXL Pro (no longer available) that is probably 18 years old now. Still works great.

Name:  merlin-probe_zps48yelgii.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  14.1 KB

It has three lights - a white LED into the hole and one on the face that changes color (and it vibrates at a target hit), or you can use an audio beep. The sensitivity is set with a little dial. Not waterproof so I carry it in a zip-loc baggie in use. Someone needs to reintroduce this in a more "solid state" version.

I also have an F-Point (same as the Bounty Hunter) that came "free" with my Fisher. I actually like this and may be the only detectorist this is true for. It's foolproof and waterproof. I found that by placing the battery in the cap before inserting it everything stays tight and secure. This I carry as a back-up to the SunRay. It's actually quicker and easier in target-rich spots like parks and fairgrounds. Slides right it the side pouch on my carpenter's belt pack. I guess I'm easy on my pinpointers and don't dig or pry with them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM1702.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	1386610

All I need a pinpointer for is that last 1" so I don't scratch up the coin or dig past it in the turned plug. I don't want a 2" range because I don't feet that is pinpointing enough - that is still detecting. By lifting the coil as I sweep the main detector I get an idea how deep the target is on coins. The other odd-ball stuff is a little harder to pre-dig estimate.

Shame about the lack of a SunRay for Garrett. They're still the best. ;-) Can't forget or lose them and the battery is always as fresh as those in the detector.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM1351_zpsbb3a0766.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	316.4 KB 
ID:	1386611
    Truth likes this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Oct 2009
    7683 times
    I never had any problems with my Minelab pinpointer. I never had any problems with my Garrett PPs (either black or orange) either. The Garrett carrot is by far my favorite. Sorry to hear you are having problems.
    gunsil likes this.

Charter Member
    us

Apr 2016
    EQUINOX 800
    23747 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    I've had my Garrett black several years. Even beat dirt clumps apart with it like it's a hammer. Never had a problem with it.
    I know I thought they where all like that!!

Charter Member
    us

Apr 2016
    EQUINOX 800
    23747 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    I never had any problems with my Minelab pinpointer. I never had any problems with my Garrett PPs (either black or orange) either. The Garrett carrot is by far my favorite. Sorry to hear you are having problems.
    Does your ring/vibrate when pressed on dirt or even hand?

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    3932 times
    Have the Makro and started to have problems after one year of usage. Decided to get the Garrett carrot and so far no problems. My advice; Own two pin pointers because when one eventually dies, you have a backup!
    Honest Samuel likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links