Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not prefer the Deus light, however, I understand that it save money. I like the control box.

Any machine has a learning curve. I find the Deus easy to use, and it wasn't too hard to learn. Andy's book explains it fairly well. It just takes practice, like any machine. You have to "learn" the sounds.

The Deus is the future.... Minelabs is well... nostalgic let's say...

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got one and only used it a few times but it works great at picking targets out of the iron!

OP
OP
I

ijon

Greenie
Jun 28, 2015
michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 28-RC-WS5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both for your comments. It has taken me a long time figuring which one to buy. I just wanted to know if this was good technology.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you asking about the XP Deus lite? It's a great buy if you have a friend that also has a Deus with the $599 control unit. The control unit allows you to make setups that you could upload to the XP Deus lite. Scrappy bought one to use while his CTX 3030 was out for repair. I'd ask him how he like's it, both the pro's and con's.

Last edited:

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The light is indeed the cheapest way to get into the machine. But the moment you want to have the remote control it just got more expensive then if you bought it right from the get go. You will eventually want it if you like the machine. Buy a used one on the forums and get a smoking deal..

OP
OP
I

ijon

Greenie
Jun 28, 2015
michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 28-RC-WS5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this going to sound dumb, but what is the remote?

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know this going to sound dumb, but what is the remote?

the remote is the controller unit for the deus. the brains in the deus are in the coil. the remote hooks to the wand of the detector or your belt or your wrist, wherever, and it controls or sets up the detector with whatever settings you want to run. also has a small speaker should u not want to use headphones. has a back lit display also. if you get the w-4 back phones (headphones), this also will control the deus, but does not have all of the options that the remote has to tweak things.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
agree, Andy's book is pretty good. i dont think the books is great, however. it could do better explaining the different settings and what they do. its does some of this, and reading and learning those really helps.

i have thought of writing my own explanations on the different settings like iron audio, silencer, audio response, etc etc etc. the best way, for me, to learn the deus settings, is to read about each option and what it does, AND how it may be affected by the other options as they are often interrelated.

Calabash has some very informative videos also. his videos are real world, so to speak and show you the options and their affect in the field. so does a guy from UK named Gary. he has a system of 10 videos on the deus. i suggest watching them all, then watch them again as you learn the machine.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Deus is a great detector that takes some dedicated time to learn its full capabilities...there no question about that. However, the investment of your time will be rewarded many times over. Any detector that has the enhanced capability and flexibility as the Deus, has a learning curve.

Believe me when I say that although you can buy a Deus "Lite" for less initial investment, you'll quickly decide you need/want the control box. Personally, I wouldn't be without it but as I always say, that's just the view from my foxhole.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the Minelab Explorer is just as good or better than the $1,500.00 version of the XP Deus, and the Makro Racer 2 is better than the entry level XP Deus. I base this on my own experience with all three machines. The Deus is "cool," but it isn't magic. :skullflag:

ggolds5

Greenie
Jun 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spend a little more and get the whole package. Im not too familiar with the "basic" package. Its the best of the best. If your going for this kind of machine don't skimp. I bought mine from Ed at Treasure Mountain Detectors almost 5 years ago when it first came out. I couldn't afford one then but He made it happen. Also, very fast shipping and stands by his word with warrantee issues that my wife had on her Garrett. Worth the distance even though there are numerous dealers close to me all over New England. Anyway, I've used Minelab detectors and found them very complicated to use. The Deus was intimidating at first, but after reading the manual it really is an easy detector to use and even easy to make up your own programs. You can even take a "Deus Camp" weekend class with Andy Sabage and its very worth the time and a couple hundred bucks. Go with the Deus. Have fun.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone is different on machines, but the mine labs don't have near the settings as a deus. I personally have felt they are very simple machines.. But like I said everyone is different.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread