Need some input please! Minelab E SE or AT pro?

Byrdboys

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2016
OK
Detector(s) used
My newest Minelab Equinox 600 Love it!
Teknetics Omega 800
teknetics Delta 4000
Garrett 350
Bounty Hunter lone star
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm fairly new at this MD. My first detector BH Lone Star. Got it few yrs back just started using it last year. Found my first Merc Dime I was hooked along with my 4 boys! This year we bought a used Garrett 350 been finding clad & few old coins, bullets, etc. We found a Delta 4000 at pawn shop for $75. It's been a nice addition found more clad no silver yet. We Love how it works but go to G 350 at times. We normal use both machines and compare ID numbers & tones, etc. I have recently found a Minelab Explorer SE being sold by older man. He bought 5 yrs ago took it out about 5 times then had heart trouble now not able to MD any more due to health. He will take $400. I see its $1280 on Amazon new. What is others thoughts on this MD? Would this be an upgrade for myself & Boys? Is it worth 400? I've read Minelab no longer makes it discounted.
I'm trying to make Decision on Minelab E SE or Garrett AT Pro. I would like input from both sides Garrett & Minelab users. I really have about 500 to 600 to spend no more than that. Thanks for input! I'm willing to learn & look forward to finding great coins & other relics!

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - Noticed this is your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard to you and your boys! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Oklahoma for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
metal_detector.gif
2nd - While waiting on member comments (and you will get them) you might consider (if you haven't already) browsing Forum > Metal Detecting Forum > Brands > Minelab for information about your possible purchase.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a Minelab SE and a Whites MXT Pro. The SE is about as deep as a detector will go. Its an amazing machine. Even in nasty ground where I hunt an old swimming hole its the only detector that will still find targets at depth. I personally would buy it for 400. You will need to swing it slow. Once you learn what it is telling you the deep stuff will start to pop out of the ground. Welcome aboard!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great price for the Minelab detector. IMHO it is a better detector than the AT Pro. With your budget of $600, you have many options on another detector. Your Garrett is a good machine, a little old, and it just has to be swung slower than Delta due to is slower recovery speed. The Delta is also a great little detector that has many coil options available in my opinion is the best of the detectors you own for my swing speed. I'd go and see the detector and pick it up, check it's weight, it will be heavier that what you are used to swinging. I have bought a majority of my detectors used and never had an issue.

There are many new detectors in your price range. The AT Pro has a good reputation.

Here is a list of other I recommend you look into.

F75 85th Anniversary edition (Black Friday Special Deal)

T2 Classic (Black Friday Special Deal)

If you are firm on your 2 choices, I'd go for the minelab.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The SE is legendary for depth, it'll go far deeper than your present arsenal. I've seen no comparison studies, but it's likely deeper than my CTX.

But there's one problem. According to Minelab Repair, there are no spare parts manufactured for them anymore = it fails, it's a coat rack.

Personally I'd still consider it. Good thing I have too many detectors already - that's what happens when you get the bug!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use both. But, I only hunt cellar holes and fields. I'll start with the at pro on new spots and when signals get rare i'll go in and clean up with the SE and DFX. The minelab expl. SE with a 8.5 x 12.5 cors coil is a beast. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Byrdboys

Byrdboys

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2016
OK
Detector(s) used
My newest Minelab Equinox 600 Love it!
Teknetics Omega 800
teknetics Delta 4000
Garrett 350
Bounty Hunter lone star
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for input from a few of you. That's my one concern about repair & Minelab standing behind its product. My Ace 350 has been acting up. No battery read out, sensitivity not showing up & when I scroll through hunting options just three are showing up. But I know when it's on coins. It's actually still working and finding targets. Does Garrett stand behind their MD? I haven't called them yet. I bought it used so I maybe out of Luck. My thinking is FBS gives you more target ability, possible finding more/great items. Where the AT pro has just 4 Frequencies/ability I think. I'm I thinking correct? Why would you not want FBS technology seems to offer you more possible treasures. Or maybe trash. From what I'm reading it all about practice makes perfect almost lol. I do like the waterproof Option on AT but not a big water/beach hunter yet. It does seem to be a little tougher built wise. Other than the depth comparisons between AT & ML is one better at finding coins/relics than the other? I mean I guess all coins & relics fall in a certain Frequency anyway. Do need 28 or just 4? Decisions decisions! I guess if I can get MIneL SE for 300/350 that would be a know brainier? Just trying to cover myself if it dies on me in the future. Lol! Keep the input coming! Im enjoying learning & trying to make my choice with your input it great!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just opened up a big can of worms......Haha

I run a CTX now....but couldnt say anything bad about the ATP....even after 5 years of abuse and I toasted it, Garrett replaced the whole unit for 120 bucks...cant beat that

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess if I can get MIneL SE for 300/350 that would be a know brainier? Just trying to cover myself if it dies on me in the future. Lol! Keep the input coming! Im enjoying learning & trying to make my choice with your input it great!

I have too many detectors now, but if I saw an SE for 300/350, I'd be plenty tempted.

There is no problem with the Minelab Repair Center, period! There is a problem however of Minelab shipping spare parts on cargo ships with a 4 month lead time.

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great price for the Minelab detector. IMHO it is a better detector than the AT Pro. With your budget of $600, you have many options on another detector. Your Garrett is a good machine, a little old, and it just has to be swung slower than Delta due to is slower recovery speed. The Delta is also a great little detector that has many coil options available in my opinion is the best of the detectors you own for my swing speed. I'd go and see the detector and pick it up, check it's weight, it will be heavier that what you are used to swinging. I have bought a majority of my detectors used and never had an issue.

There are many new detectors in your price range. The AT Pro has a good reputation.

Here is a list of other I recommend you look into.

F75 85th Anniversary edition (Black Friday Special Deal)

T2 Classic (Black Friday Special Deal)

If you are firm on your 2 choices, I'd go for the minelab.
I'm amazed at the expertise and detailed help many on Treasurenet give. Like this reply is a treasure find itself!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread