Worth winter detecting on a beach?

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait for a storm or high winds that move the sand around, then YES! :skullflag:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, if you hunt the tourist season you are competing with everybody that has a metal detector for recent drops. I preferred to hit the beaches during the winter. Hunt the beach cuts and you can reach goodies that have been collecing below metal detector range. Certain beaches will even give up silver coins during the stormy winter months. H Digs!

Last edited:

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you get 'king tides' (extreme high/low), Good to check the wet at low tide. On the west coast they can be like a -1.8 ft low at times.
Check the NOAA website for your area.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The prior 3 replies are correct. The ONLY time to hit the wet beach, is during the winter. Immediately after storms that erode it. If you've ever been in an area the size of your living room, digging 400 targets as fast as you can scoop, you will never go back to "random drop" summer hunting again.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Post script: Trouble is, conditions don't line up like that very often. We're in the middle of winter here in CA (for instance) and the seas are placid calm. Aaarrghhh.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; YUP, Here in Boston I'm lucky. The beach here is called Carson Beach. It was a landing zone for the Colonists as they brought supplies into the South Boston,(SOUTHIE), section of Boston. We routinely dig up musketballs, Large Cents, Colonial Silver, Reales, plus the usual clad and rings. I hit a 3 diamond wedding ringvthere last year. Every time We go We find stuff. So YUP the beach is alive duringvthe winter bud. Without it I'd be dead ok. PEACE:RONB

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi; YUP, Here in Boston I'm lucky. The beach here is called Carson Beach. It was a landing zone for the Colonists as they brought supplies into the South Boston,(SOUTHIE), section of Boston. We routinely dig up musketballs, Large Cents, Colonial Silver, Reales, plus the usual clad and rings. I hit a 3 diamond wedding ringvthere last year. Every time We go We find stuff. So YUP the beach is alive duringvthe winter bud. Without it I'd be dead ok. PEACE:RONB

Y'all are so spoiled up there. I'm jealous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just telling My Wife that we drive to Florida over Christmas holidays and rent a nice room prices are cheap. I think she's game too. Hey you get them a nice room with a big tub you can metal detect all day.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Truth; Now THAT'S a treasure for sure. You romantic devil you. PEACE:RONB

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Go for it, period. Our fiends tell us so much truth, and they might be out there 6 days a week.

But did they get it all?

Your choice my friends!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Well you know.....what can I saay. [emoji41]

I know what the wife would likely say. "I'll be in the hot tub. Join me with your beeper.".

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES YES YES YES YES! Do it! Found my BEST beach stuff November through March. Go right after a storm tears some of the sand off.

JoeB_OH

Dec 19, 2012
Cleveland , Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Bounty Hunter Tracker 4.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait for a storm or high winds that move the sand around, then YES! :skullflag:

Terry is Spot on this one! You just need a warm enough day - A little sun helps. Some of my best Beach finds came from after fall/winter storms.
Go for it, weather permitting!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW I have found some GREAT items when the wind was going 25mph and light snow was coming in sideways. Found 3 colonial shipwreck coins that day. If you take a standard rock pick along, you can also break an icy crust (sand) with one whack. I'm not stubborn, right?

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is all such great information. Thank you all so much. I have a minelab safari and a Tesoro sand shark. Which would you prefer to use on the beach? Also, is there a good chance of finding old silver coins and things like that?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
This is all such great information. Thank you all so much. ....

That's ok. You'll get our bill in the mail :)

.... I have a minelab safari and a Tesoro sand shark. Which would you prefer to use on the beach?....

I don't know about your particular beaches. If they are nasty mineralized (tell-tale gunpowder grey-ish /black) perhaps you'll need that sand shark pulse. But otherwise, I dislike pulse, d/t you can't reject nails. Other than 2nd-guessing tones and guesstimating on double vs single beeps, etc... So I prefer a discriminator. But that's just me. Other people love pulses. You might go bonkers on a nail-ridden beach though.

As for the Safari, I'm unfamiliar with that one's ability on the wet salt. If it's anything like the Explorers or Sov's or Excal's abilities: that's what I'd choose. But again, that's just me. Others love pulse (nice sounds, easy to use, hacks all minerals, etc.... )

.... Also, is there a good chance of finding old silver coins and things like that?

Depends on if the sand being cut into and eroded is old sand, or new sand. By "new" sand, I mean sand that "came back in" in the recent decades, during a spring/summer in-fill. And if that sand "came back in" with no older targets coming back in with it, it would be "sterile" sand. As such, it would only have coins from the decades since it got there.

Versus if the sand being cut into has been "high and dry" for 50 or 100+ yrs, then yes, it can have old coins in it. Way to many variable to answer that question easily. I've worked cuts with 300+ coins in it, where every single one of them was new. But it's still fun, because anytime you're getting metal targets on a swim beach that fast and furiously (albeit only new coins), is when the odds exist for rings to be coming up in your scoop. Especially if you start finding fishing sinkers , that means mother nature is grouping heavy dense items in her patterns.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such a thorough response. Thank you!! Especially the comment about the fishing sinkers. That makes sense. I really want to find some good stuff this year. I've always been the guy who finds the shiny pennies from last year. Although since I bought the safari, I've run in to some beautiful silver rings. I'm getting there...

DanCaspian

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2016
Southern NJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking the same thing....since I'm brand new to the hobby, and it is winter...wasn't sure if I had to wait until spring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions