Whites coinmaster

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Grasviti, welcome to the forum. That is circa very early 1980s.

If it had just been a 5000D (without the "series II or series II) it would be a VLF/TR dinosaur . But the "Series II" incorporated motion discrimination . Which would make it very similar to the 6000D series I. And the "series III" introduced a depth meter.

Still pretty much a dinosaur, when compared to today's machines. But at least it was motion discrimination . Albeit a fast swing, not good at target separation, and lacking depth when compared to today's power-houses. And no TID.

They were actually a very good wet salt beach machine though.

OP
OP
G

Grasviti

Dec 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 5000 / D 3 series is not good

Lenovo A7020a40 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

OP
OP
G

Grasviti

Dec 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Foto
0672a33435856cd42dc219f8fbfaa9f2.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
The 5000 / D 3 series is not good ...

compared to what ? If you put it in GEB disc, and ground balance properly, You'll cut through wet salt and modest minerals just fine. I bet you can get a dime-sized target to perhaps 8". Sure there's machines today that go a tad deeper with ease. And sure there's machines today that separate better with no loss of depth.

But that machine of yours is not an utter loss. If you're using it correctly, and so long as you're not competing in places with today's super-marvels, you'll do ok.

OP
OP
G

Grasviti

Dec 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a machine you can recommend, deep and well-separated

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
There is a machine you can recommend, deep and well-separated....

What are you looking for ? Ie.: what type hunting are you intending ? Eg.: coins ? Jewelry? Relics ? Ghost-townsy/ruins type sites ? Beach ? Prospecting for nuggets ? Cache-hunting ?

And DON'T say "all of the above" :)

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a decent older machine. Run in GEB normal and if you get a weak signal flip over to TR discriminate and give a sweep. If it says bad then don't dig but if it says good or doesn't say anything then dig. It should fine dimes at 8" depending on soil.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
That is a decent older machine. Run in GEB normal and if you get a weak signal flip over to TR discriminate and give a sweep. If it says bad then don't dig but if it says good or doesn't say anything then dig. It should fine dimes at 8" depending on soil.

mud-flap, this advice makes me think you're thinking it's the original 5000d (which was a vlf/tr). Your instructions would be for someone using a TR discriminator. By the time motion disc (aka GEB disc, or VLF disc) hit the market in the late 1970s, hardly anyone ever used TR disc. Even if (like in this case) it was still an optional control. I suppose there were some people who might have needed it for super tight confines to discriminate (when motion wasn't an option, or when it was super junky like under bleachers or something).

But most people who this generation of the machine, would swing in GEB disc, then switch to GEB normal for pinpointing, or some other need when they wanted to hunt all metal.

OP
OP
G

Grasviti

Dec 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you looking for ? Ie.: what type hunting are you intending ? Eg.: coins ? Jewelry? Relics ? Ghost-townsy/ruins type sites ? Beach ? Prospecting for nuggets ? Cache-hunting ?

And DON'T say "all of the above" :)
I want to search for coins and history works or something like a good machine I do not want to excavate a machine

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mud-flap, this advice makes me think you're thinking it's the original 5000d (which was a vlf/tr). Your instructions would be for someone using a TR discriminator. By the time motion disc (aka GEB disc, or VLF disc) hit the market in the late 1970s, hardly anyone ever used TR disc. Even if (like in this case) it was still an optional control. I suppose there were some people who might have needed it for super tight confines to discriminate (when motion wasn't an option, or when it was super junky like under bleachers or something).

But most people who this generation of the machine, would swing in GEB disc, then switch to GEB normal for pinpointing, or some other need when they wanted to hunt all metal.

Your right. Wasn't paying attention. Should have looked at the pic too! I used a 5DB back then but sold Whites for a while in the early 70s and the 5000D was a hot seller and a killer machine on silver dimes for some reason.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I want to search for coins and history works ....

Ok. I'm going to say an Explorer II. But this is a "Ford and Chevy" question. Still infinite variables. And you can scroll back through any forum, and see no shortage of "what's the best detector?" type threads. All with good pro and con discussion. So for example, the Explorer II is a beast to learn (tooty fluty sounds take getting used to, and you practically need tutoring of vast hours of hard-knocks). While other machines (a cz6 for instance) are turn and go quick and easy to learn (while at the same time deep). Yet a cz6 will have downsides. And there's scores of fans of other machines that also go deep and separate well, but perhaps they lack in the TID dept.

So it's a ford & chevy question. Not sure about other places, but here in CA, anyone who's doing good at deeep silver in the parks, tends to have an explorer incarnation (etrac, ctx, etc...). With a smattering of other machines seen. If you meant "coins in ghost-townsy relicky places", (rather than turf), then perhaps some other machines will spank an explorer.

So as you can see, it even depends on the location of the coins (type hunt environment) you plan to hit. Your tolerance for junk, your price budget, etc.....

OP
OP
G

Grasviti

Dec 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For example, my specialty is the tomb chambers cave entrances valuable jewelers

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I don't know what you mean by "valuable jewelers". If you meant "valuable jewels", then that falls outside the realm of metal detectors. Since jewels aren't made of metal. Or did you mean "valuable jewelry?" If so, then individual jewelry items (rings etc...) are QUITE a bit different from "tomb chambers" and "cave entrances".

And even the answer of "tomb chambers" and "cave entrances" is confusing . Because "chambers" and "entrances" don't necessarily have metal (those each simply describe "voids in the earth"). So did you mean caches ? Ie.: big ticket treasures in those cave and chambers ? If so, consider a TM-808 by whites. They get a jar sized items to 2 or 3 ft. And a toaster sized item to 4 to 6 ft. And a car sized object to 10 or 12 ft (?), and so forth.

If you meant truly "voids" (caves/chambers), there's apparatus that bottle diggers use (to find old outhouse pits) that detect anomoly voids in ground compression (differences in the pack and consistency of the earth, and/or voids). You can google around to find that.

But back to your posted answer, it is still not clear what you're wanting to do/find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions