Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Go Find 60
Land and Sea Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aaron and I decided to do some night hawking at a swimming beach. I scored a HUGE 585/ 14 Karat WHITE GOLD RING! 12.63 grams of "Golden Goodness"! Boy was Aaron pissed! He just gave up on the area where I found that huge honker! LOL! All I can say is, "YEA BUDDY!"

DSCF5269.JPG
DSCF5209.JPG

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
'Nighthawking' is a term used by Britain's metal detecting community to describe the theft of archaeological artifacts under the cover of darkness from protected archaeological sites and areas. 8-)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I wouldn't have used that term either.....In some of our areas, it's more like "Moonlight Madness"! :laughing7:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is it marked as 14k? Sure looks like stainless....:dontknow:

OP
OP
ODA 226

ODA 226

Jan 5, 2014
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Go Find 60
Land and Sea Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
ODA 226

ODA 226

Jan 5, 2014
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Go Find 60
Land and Sea Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
'Nighthawking' is a term used by Britain's metal detecting community to describe the theft of archaeological artifacts under the cover of darkness from protected archaeological sites and areas. 8-)

I know that, but it is completely legal to MD at night in Germany.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know that, but it is completely legal to MD at night in Germany.

I understand, but you missed my point. Why use a derogatory term? There is a HUGE difference between night detecting and "Night Hawking."

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Oh jeeze! Call the politically correct police already. Good thing Terry looked that up and explained what you should've said. You should be punished.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of people detect at night at Ocean City, MD. I don't particularly care to dig at night.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
me either, it's waaay too easy to misplace one's beer

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Night detecting can be fun with a buddy, especially a couple hrs b4 the sun is starting to rise.,..and while it's rising, nothing better knowing you have the whole day to treasure hunt.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope, Terry was right to point this out. Nighthawking is a very specific phrase referring to thievery. And no, this isn't being the language police. There's enough bureaucrats out there trying to ruin our hobby. I don't believe in giving them any additional ammo. Give them a word to jump on and they'll run with it for miles.

Excellent find. My hat goes off to you. Night hunting is tough. I tried it once and fell right over a tree root. Twisted my ankle something fierce. :laughing7:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Oh please. We all know he wasn't thieving from the depths of darkness. Too many tight wads on this forum. Lmao.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, WE know it............at least those of us who have been doing this for a while. We don't need newbies to start using that term, however. Very negative word in our hobby. Like pot diggers and grave robbers. Not something we want to be associated with.

OP
OP
ODA 226

ODA 226

Jan 5, 2014
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Go Find 60
Land and Sea Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand, but you missed my point. Why use a derogatory term? There is a HUGE difference between night detecting and "Night Hawking."

It's a derogatory term because our community has allowed it. We go "Night Hawking" here because of the swing shifts that we work and it's the ONLY time we have to MD. It's not a derogatory term here in Germany. What Night Hawking in the British sense should really be called is "Theft of Archeological Artifacts Under The Cover Of Darkness". But I guess "Night Hawking" is easier to say.

Anyway, you know I did nothing illegal in this vid, nor would I have any part in such activities. Criminals that raid archeological sites are destroying this hobby for us honest folks here in Europe. One country after another is making MDing illegal and it's a real shame.

OP
OP
ODA 226

ODA 226

Jan 5, 2014
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Go Find 60
Land and Sea Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh jeeze! Call the politically correct police already. Good thing Terry looked that up and explained what you should've said. You should be punished.
OK. I've been a bad boy and need to be spanked! LOL!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me emphasize: in no way shape or form did I say you did anything wrong or illegal. There is absolutely nothing wrong with night hunting. Zilch. Nada. But to call it nighthawking simply gives the adversaries to the hobby more to play with. Thats it. You want to continue calling it nighthawking, be my guest. I just wasn't certain you understood what that particular word meant in most areas of the hobby. Hope that helps clarify the situation.

OP
OP
ODA 226

ODA 226

Jan 5, 2014
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Go Find 60
Land and Sea Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me emphasize: in no way shape or form did I say you did anything wrong or illegal. There is absolutely nothing wrong with night hunting. Zilch. Nada. But to call it nighthawking simply gives the adversaries to the hobby more to play with. Thats it. You want to continue calling it nighthawking, be my guest. I just wasn't certain you understood what that particular word meant in most areas of the hobby. Hope that helps clarify the situation.

No need to clarify anything Smudge and no offense taken! I'll call it "Midnight Metal Detecting" on this page from now on. GL and HH to you my friend!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a derogatory term because our community has allowed it. We go "Night Hawking" here because of the swing shifts that we work and it's the ONLY time we have to MD. It's not a derogatory term here in Germany. What Night Hawking in the British sense should really be called is "Theft of Archeological Artifacts Under The Cover Of Darkness". But I guess "Night Hawking" is easier to say.

Anyway, you know I did nothing illegal in this vid, nor would I have any part in such activities. Criminals that raid archeological sites are destroying this hobby for us honest folks here in Europe. One country after another is making MDing illegal and it's a real shame.

Again, I was NOT attacking you. I was trying to hip you to the MEANING of the word and artwork you used. I'm sorry I upset or offended you. :skullflag:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The main reason that I looked is because I thought that you were bragging about "Night Hawking"!

Congrats on scoring the gold ring!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions