Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpointer. Cause you should have bought that with the Metal detector and digger.. You don't need one as you know, but wait till you get one.. you will wonder wtf you were thinking not getting one sooner..

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto, just make sure you get a good one. The cheap ones can be more frustrating than useful.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the new coil!!! It is going to give you 2"+ in depth on a silver quarter. Tesoro machines pinpoint well already - you know that. :skullflag:

And Welcome to the Forum! Went to Alhambra High back in the early 1970s. :icon_thumright:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Get the new coil!!! It is going to give you 2"+ in depth on a silver quarter. Tesoro machines pinpoint well already - you know that. :skullflag:

And Welcome to the Forum! Went to Alhambra High back in the early 1970s. :icon_thumright:
With a VLF detector and you do not use a DD coil you can pinpoint right on with no problem.. But it is nice to also have a pin pointer..

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you plan on digging deep targets in yards and parks...... Pinpointer.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I vote pin pointer. It will decrease the time it takes to recover the target which in turns allows you to pull more targets per hunt. With the additional targets your clad will increase to the point where you can invest in another coil. JMHO GL & HH

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on where you will be hunting. If you have a good, old place to hunt the coil will do you better. If it's just a trashy spot the PP is better or even a smaller coil. I had a 5 inch and rarely took it off for park hunting. Not a big fan of the PP's. Yes, sometimes they come in handy like when you have a big coil (harder to pinpoint) or a broken off beaver tail on the side of the hole. But nine times out of ten not worth it IMO.

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd get the pinpointer then consider another coil later on, preferably a smaller concentric like Tesoro's 5.75-C.
Only opt for that bigger 11x8 if the areas you search don't have much trash in them. While I do like that 11x8 widescan for sensitivity, coverage and depth, it's not as good in trash as the little 5.75-C coil.

Besides really liking Tesoro's 5.75 coils, I also use the pinpointer constantly; it's in hand, probably about every other hole I dig. Why..? I just like pinpointers and find they speed things up quite a bit...especially with worsening eyesight and my reluctance to use glasses.. :tongue3:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
With a VLF detector and you do not use a DD coil you can pinpoint right on with no problem.. But it is nice to also have a pin pointer..

I'll personally turn around and go back home to get a forgotten pinpointer. I won't do the same if I forgot my bigger coil. Pinpointing with the coil can certainly be spot on, assuming there's no other peripheral signals mixing in, which is more common place in parks and many yards. Let's not forget about masked signals also. A larger coil will be counter-productive.

Once the dig begins, the pinpointer will pay for itself, trust me.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with those that side with the pinpointer. However, over the years I've found that I get much more use out of a SMALLER coil rather than a larger one. The 5.75 concentric is a great coil for trashy parks and the like. IMHO, in this case, bigger is seldom better.
luvsdux

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with those that side with the pinpointer. However, over the years I've found that I get much more use out of a SMALLER coil rather than a larger one. The 5.75 concentric is a great coil for trashy parks and the like. IMHO, in this case, bigger is seldom better.
luvsdux
That depends on where you're hunting. At the beach or a large park with acres of fields, a large coil is wonderful. Trashy area, not so much.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a good pinpointer...like others said before me, it REALLY cuts down on the time in locating your target..and most importantly, decreases the MESS..and when you have those shallow targets (1-2 inches) you can usually locate the target BEFORE making a plug, minimizing time AND mess...good luck, happy hunting...ddf

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know how you get by without a pinpointer. I am spoiled, but without it, I struggle. And if you hunt trashy places, it makes the target recovery so much easier.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I look at a PP as a crutch for those who can't pinpont--good pinpointing with the MD coil and you don't need it very often, maybe once per outing is it even worth it. More stuff to carry and get in the way every time you kneel down for a target. P.I.T.A.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember best place for gold is where there has been a lot of activity--more trash. My opinion, a smaller coil will find more gold than a PP.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread