Minelab Equinox 800;Fisher CZ-21; White Classic IDX Pro; White Classic SL
Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sanborn Fire Ins. Maps and a site called Historic Aerials. The aerial website allows you to slide the modern over the old but you are limited to the age of the maps.

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always use historic aerials

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Historic aerials for the map, then go into google earth and create a layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just FYI I have always found that HistoricAerials works better on internet explorer than on other browsers for me anyway, so if you have trouble with it, try that.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Historicmapsworks.com

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Map...not maps. Sorry. 😁

jinx

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2016
Land O Lakes / Hudson (Florida)
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earth Explorer (earthexplorer.usgs.gov) doesn't get mentioned much on here, it seems, but it is a great resource. A little klunky but you can get some nice aerials out of it depending on the area and how far back you need to go.

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Earth Explorer (earthexplorer.usgs.gov) doesn't get mentioned much on here, it seems, but it is a great resource. A little klunky but you can get some nice aerials out of it depending on the area and how far back you need to go.

forgot all about that one because it doesn't let you overlay maps necessarily, but you can get much higher resolution aerials than you can through a lot of the other sites. One quirk about that one though is that you have to register an account (free) to download, but you ALSO need to log in BEFORE you try to download a map. In my experience, every time I try to download a map without logging in FIRST, it takes me to the login page and then freezes me out for an hour or so before I can try again.

jinx

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2016
Land O Lakes / Hudson (Florida)
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
forgot all about that one because it doesn't let you overlay maps necessarily, but you can get much higher resolution aerials than you can through a lot of the other sites. One quirk about that one though is that you have to register an account (free) to download, but you ALSO need to log in BEFORE you try to download a map. In my experience, every time I try to download a map without logging in FIRST, it takes me to the login page and then freezes me out for an hour or so before I can try again.

It also doesn't have any easy way to orient what you are looking at, which is sometimes (ok, almost always) a pain. But I really like the quality of it.

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah, it definitely doesn't orient the maps North up most of the time. Luckily for me I have a mountain range that runs along through the middle of my county so I can usually align to that.

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lately I've been georeferencing old maps and aerial photos with MapTiler and displaying them on my own computer with tileserver. You need to know how to set up Apache + PHP.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Historic Map Works seems to go back farther as far as 1876 in my area, that with the overlay ability works for my relic hunting research. There are a lot of them that do not allow to go back very far. Overlay is not much use on a map that only goes back to the 60's..imo

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Historic Map Works seems to go back farther as far as 1876 in my area, that with the overlay ability works for my relic hunting research. There are a lot of them that do not allow to go back very far. Overlay is not much use on a map that only goes back to the 60's..imo
I don't know if I'm using it wrong or what, but everybody always raves about that site and it's been nothing but a disappointment for me. I live in one of the oldest areas of the country and all it seems to have is "artistic renderings" of bird's eye perspectives, which is useless for map overlaying.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know if I'm using it wrong or what, but everybody always raves about that site and it's been nothing but a disappointment for me. I live in one of the oldest areas of the country and all it seems to have is "artistic renderings" of bird's eye perspectives, which is useless for map overlaying.

Really? I use the Basic Free Edition and it has street view, satalight view, as well as hybred. all with overlay

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really? I use the Basic Free Edition and it has street view, satalight view, as well as hybred. all with overlay

Wow... yeah I must be using it wrong then. When I "try" to use it, I go to the main page, click "Browse" and then "Interactive Map". Where do you go on the site?

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow... yeah I must be using it wrong then. When I "try" to use it, I go to the main page, click "Browse" and then "Interactive Map". Where do you go on the site?

I have been using it for a couple years and have the maps I use in my favorites. I used to type in the township I wanted in my state then go to the free basic , and do the overlays

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do me a favor and see if you can find anything for Berkeley Springs, WV (Morgan County). I sure can't, but it sounds like I'm not using it right...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread