ShelleyB82

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2016
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a Fisher F2 package for Christmas. Came with 3 different coils. I'm new to this and had read here that the F2 would be a good starting point. However, I'm a little disappointed with the lack of literature provided with the detector. My main question is, how do I know if my detector or coils are waterproof?

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
because it will say so. If nothing says "waterproof" don't let it get wet. Have you looked to see if there is an online owners manual?

OP
OP
ShelleyB82

ShelleyB82

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2016
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The online manual is the same as what came with the product. It doesn't mention water one way or the other. I'd like to be able to get it in shallow rivers popular for floating ...maybe 12" of water or less. Oh well, maybe down the line I'll upgrade.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google is your friend! Coils are waterproof. Control box isn't. Don't submerge box and don't raise wet coil higher than box and let water run in.

OP
OP
ShelleyB82

ShelleyB82

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2016
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, enamel! That's what I was hoping for and semi expecting

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Coils are waterproof.
The tubes they are attached to are hollow so if you do put the coil in the water and then for some silly reason decide to raise that coil up past horizontal water can and will run down those tubes and can get into the electronics.
Don't laugh, it has happened to others and the result will be a suddenly out of warranty big piece of plastic that you can use as a doorstop...but not much else.

As far as information most manuals are notorious for the basics they tell you about but the huge amount of real and helpful tips and insights they leave out.
Luckily, with the internet, there is much out there that can help you move along the learning curve a bit faster and more efficiently.

I loved this thing, bought it as a take on vacation unit only but it was so much fun to use, worked so well and found me so much right out of the box it became my prime tool and I wrote about a million words about it over time to spread the word on all I discovered about it and all that at I found plus how I used it to find it all.
This is being retired now in favor of the new Fisher lower end offerings but many still have them, still use them or just got them.
One of the best values on the market ever as far as I am concerned, I have three years of thrills, surprises, shocks and memories that I will always cherish and never forget thanks to this one...not to mention thousands if dollars worth of treasure.

If you want to learn more do a couple of Google searches and my writings and posts from all over the web on several forums should pop up.
Start with one of the longest most viewed threads on the net...
"F2 review.. Final impressions below"

and just look up "DIGGER27, F2" for much more.

This thing just flat out works and works well, and it has a deeper more hidden language and behavior patterns that if you learn to understand them the sky is the limit.
Enjoy it, learn it and have fun doing it...not that you have any choice in that matter.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have said, the detector itself isn't waterproof, so I would be extremely careful about detecting in or near water. If you do, for sure have an arm cuff on your detector so you can't accidentally drop it. Even then it's hard to retrieve a target in even shallow water without some splash or drip. If it hits your control box you could in a second end end up with a big doorstop. Also if you are detecting near waters edge, be careful where you set your detector down, so it doesn't get hit by an unexpected wave.

veemaxx

Dec 22, 2015
Raymond, Ne
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, BH Tracker 4, XP Deus, (CTX 3030 sold due to elbow pain)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used my f2 at least 100 hours at fresh water beaches up to a little over knee deep, maybe 20 inches on me without any problems. Like previously said watch out for the waves and use a long handled sand scoop or mark the spot with a stake and recover the target after beaching your machine. Mine does false a little when going across the water line which is easy to deal with. In the first year I found 9 gold rings, 2 gold chains, and one gold pendent. The f2 is a great, user friendly machine, I put a Nel Hunter coil on mine for increased depth and coverage. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread