Year-end Review: What's your best 2016 find?

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't seen the 2016 version of this thread yet even in a search, so mods feel free to delete this if it's already here somewhere.

What's your best find of the year and what's the story behind it?

I'm by no means a relic hunter, but I live in an area where we find Civil War and colonial-era relics on a pretty regular basis. I found this Union sword belt plate on 7/17 on a hillside about 2" down in loose dirt. What makes it extra cool is that the flatter area at the top of the hill at this particular area has been absolutely hammered to death by a few other guys for several years now and they've dug lots of nice coins out of it, but somehow missed this....because they didn't venture over the lip of the hill. I also dug a Barber quarter at the same location in another hard-to-reach spot, so there's still stuff there. Couldn't believe it when I saw this come out of the hole. Everything is there except for the German silver wreaths.

Attachments

• sword belt plate obv2.jpg
    sword belt plate obv2.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 111
  • sword belt plate rev2.jpg
    sword belt plate rev2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one beautiful piece. :icon_thumleft: I document all my finds/hunts via pictures. After reviewing the 2016 folder I can't say that I found one relic that gave me more pleasure than hunting with the great people I met here on Tnet. I guess some might be called old relics. :tongue3:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1461113682.950944.jpg IMG95201606259510301995281-1.jpg 20161126_111044 (002).jpg

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My best find of 2016 would probably have to be the 1787 Connecticut copper I found in my front yard.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two for me, in the same field 102_8729.JPG 16112913612405.jpg 16112913525893.jpg

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That is one beautiful piece. :icon_thumleft: I document all my finds/hunts via pictures. After reviewing the 2016 folder I can't say that I found one relic that gave me more pleasure than hunting with the great people I met here on Tnet. I guess some might be called old relics. :tongue3:

View attachment 1395314 View attachment 1395315 View attachment 1395316

Loco-Digger is about as nice a guy as you could hope to meet. A real gentlemen.

I found some treasure this year too, but like LD, my best finds were the hunts with my TNet buddies... and it just so happens that I was on all three of those hunts! Spending time with like minded friends is the best treasure that this hobby offers.

I would like to thank everyone that hosted me this year!

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My best find of 2016 would probably have to be the 1787 Connecticut copper I found in my front yard.
Nice - have found two KGs over the past two years but still waiting on my first state coin. A buddy of mine has pulled three at sites we were at together but I haven't had any luck. Any reason it should have been in your yard? Was there a cellar hole nearby, etc? You guys in CT and VT seem to be loaded with those sites!

Two for me, in the same field

Awesome. I was hoping 2016 would be my year for a nice seated, but I'm stuck with my one and only seated coin being a dime I dug last year that's literally smooth as a mirror EXCEPT for the date! What denomination is that anyway? Hard to tell scale-wise.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice - have found two KGs over the past two years but still waiting on my first state coin. A buddy of mine has pulled three at sites we were at together but I haven't had any luck. Any reason it should have been in your yard? Was there a cellar hole nearby, etc? You guys in CT and VT seem to be loaded with those sites!

Awesome. I was hoping 2016 would be my year for a nice seated, but I'm stuck with my one and only seated coin being a dime I dug last year that's literally smooth as a mirror EXCEPT for the date! What denomination is that anyway? Hard to tell scale-wise.

It is a half dollar

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I think the main reason is that my driveway used to be the old road. I have found other relics from the 1700s along my driveway, which leads me to believe that it was in use during the colonial era.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread