Rocks showing as Iron... Hot Rocks?

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing a very quick session of hunting in my backyard before the rain hit. I'm using a brand new Garrett Ace 400 for the first time. I kept getting hits in the low iron range 10-14 or so. Right now I am digging everything to learn my machine and what it is saying to me. Anyway I would dig and find a quarter size rock that was setting the detector off. It would crumble easily but it was just a rock. Is this fairly normal and what would you do if you ran into this while hunting relics or anything? Thanks for helping a beginner.???

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I run into hot rocks I turn around and swing away from them. If the site is producing, I will use my sniper coil to hunt the area where the hot rocks are abundant.

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, That what I figured. I will keep that in mind.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Charlotte, you might just find pyrite or gold in them thar rocks. Granite will set off a lot of machines. Those are just junk. If you have schist or quartzite setting the machine off, look deeper. I don't think there are any sedimentary rocks around your area, so ignore those too. Since your rock crumbled, try making the particles very small. Use a magnet and try to remove any iron then try panning some. You never know. Gold does occur in rocks just like you are describing. I just came across nice magnetite crystals in some "hot" rocks found in southern PA. That is also in a gold producing area. Remember schist breeds gold sometimes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Charlotte, you might just find pyrite or gold in them thar rocks. Granite will set off a lot of machines. Those are just junk. If you have schist or quartzite setting the machine off, look deeper. I don't think there are any sedimentary rocks around your area, so ignore those too. Since your rock crumbled, try making the particles very small. Use a magnet and try to remove any iron then try panning some. You never know. Gold does occur in rocks just like you are describing. I just came across nice magnetite crystals in some "hot" rocks found in southern PA. That is also in a gold producing area. Remember schist breeds gold sometimes.
Wow, OK. I know the area is full of old mines and is gold rich in areas. I will keep this in mind and try what you say. It would be fun to find some sparkle in the dirt. Thanks

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look in local creeks too. Watch for ticks and snakes when it gets warmer. You can actually pan at the "Cotton Patch" mine, look if up, assuming it's still open for business. Been a few years since I was there. Lots of fun.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look in local creeks too. Watch for ticks and snakes when it gets warmer. You can actually pan at the "Cotton Patch" mine, look if up, assuming it's still open for business. Been a few years since I was there. Lots of fun.

Actually Cotton Patch has been closed for several years. Mountain Creek is just around the corner. 10 dollars to pan all day, but it's very fine gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread