Any luck with old mountain trails?

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've MD'd on old Mountain trails, but no luck. I'm talking about trails that have been around since the late 19th century/ early 20th century. Trails that miners would have used or pioneers heading into or out of town. I've never found one old coin. Why? I talked to a member of the local MD club quite a while back and I remember him saying he found a merc on one of these trails. Just wanted to get some feedback as to whether any members here had any luck with these types of trails. HH and thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few dumps on the outskirts of towns. Usually at a junction, and where there is a steep slope to pitch things. I'm sure you are looking for old glass and cans to detect around. If there are any overlooks or resting spots or waterholes, check those too. Hopefully they were well used!!! Happy Hunting.

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
They are among my favorite places to detect. Finds are few and far between, but the best. Agree with diggingthe1, look for resting or camping spots off of the trail. Good luck!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
They are a waste of time. Oh sure .... once in a blue moon a hiker looses a coin while simply walking a straight line between 2 points. But think about it .... you are 10000 times better off where the stopped for the night, camped out (hence lying prone to sleep, fiddling around with their clothing, eating, sleeping, drinking, recreating, etc....)

So instead of the linear distance between 2 given points, you should be looking for stage stops, camp sites, trading posts, picnic/recreation spots, springs where they'd rest, etc..... THAT where money came out of the pockets and/or had the better odds of getting lost.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great feedback, Tom

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By experience, I have found the ore being mined in the distant past. The closer to the mine shafts the trails are the more you want to look for dropped ore, usually on the downslope side, and could over time surface migrated ten's to hundreds of feet. They will still be at or part of the surface debris.

The result - museum quality mineral specimens. Either of the exotic associated minerals composing the vein to then the actual mined ore, like malachite to gold impregnated quartz.

When MD'ing other treasures my be around!

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
If you like this sort of detecting, you might try exploring a bit before you pull out the detector. Look for signs of habitation, such as old glass broken or things that are man made near or on mountain trails. Look for things that mother nature didn't put there but humans did. This will give you the best chance to find something good. Searching trails blindly will lead to frustration.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

freepistol

Apr 13, 2016
Berwick, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder if any of the people who have walked the entire Appalachian Trail thought to bring a metal detector.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I wonder if any of the people who have walked the entire Appalachian Trail thought to bring a metal detector.

Same logic for the wagon train trails into CA, right ? Ie.: the Oregon trail, Lassen trail, the desert Sante Fe trail, etc.... All filled with colorful accounts of wagon trains as far as the eye could see and count, at the height of the gold rush leading in to CA. Yet I can tell you that , as marjam says.... it would frustrating (needles in haystacks) to just randomly follow the path. Instead, you want to hunt where they stopped for the night. Springs, trading posts, forts, stage stops, river crossings, ascent start and stop points, forks in the trail route, etc.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread