Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been experimenting with pit digging at a very nail-heavy site that has produced a bunch of large cents and half cents back to the late 1700s. It's rough - this is one sweep about 6" down with a magnet over a 3x1' section of the pit. I can't believe I ever found anything in there..... by the way, the four pits have been 3x3x1.5' or so and it's still nails at the bottom even at 18 inches (it's in a field that's been plowed in the past but is no longer being farmed). They haven't produced anything yet, but I'm working in the areas of the site that have produced the most, so I think it's just a matter of time til something pops up. Lots of ceramic right now and LOTS of iron.

Attachments

• 17 - 1.jpg
    17 - 1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 0
OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm telling you - this place is ridiculous. Everybody that has hunted the adjacent CW encampment site has skipped this area because of how bad it is, but I've pulled lots of good stuff from it. I know there's more here, it's just a matter now of tracking it down to the "right" 3x3 area.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back on Thursday before the snow hit and dug 4 buttons, a brass buckle, and a nice iron chain I'll clean up. I haven't pulled anything from this site since about April when I got my last large cent there, so any conductive find is something to be celebrated off of this ground. These 3x3x1 pits are doing some good!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread