Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before asking, check your local laws to see if there are anything you can't do on public land. Most likely it is fine. I would go online to the cities website and snoop around in there.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ask permission and get denied.

Go detecting at the park and have fun. Don't tear up the grass and leave the site nicer than you found it.

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im in Louisiana and city parks are fair game here. I hunt them often.

OP
OP
S

Selsaro

Dec 29, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
9 Function Harbor frieght Metal Detector, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless something is PROHIBITED it's not against the law. You don't need to ask permission or get a slip if there is no law against it.

Skippy
I just sent an email to the Ottawa county officials just asking if there are any regulations or rules I should be aware of, if there isn't, city parks here I come!

Lowman

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You pay taxes for those parks...I just hunt mine I don't ask permission. Let us know how it works out for you I'm curious...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most towns and even park authorities have a website. The towns normally have a link to their ordinances and parks websites have a link to their rules. I have a dilemma here in my area, One of the oldest parks that I want to detect falls under Lorain County Metroparks. Their rules state metal detecting is prohibited without permission, yet no one can tell me how to get permission.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just sent an email to the Ottawa county officials just asking if there are any regulations or rules I should be aware of, if there isn't, city parks here I come!

Why are you asking the county about parks controlled by the city, they can only answer for any county parks if any exist.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you think all the people there ask permission to walk their dog, play frisbe, play ball, hike, take pictures, picnic? it is a park enjoy it in your way!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Most towns and even park authorities have a website. The towns normally have a link to their ordinances and parks websites have a link to their rules. I have a dilemma here in my area, One of the oldest parks that I want to detect falls under Lorain County Metroparks. Their rules state metal detecting is prohibited without permission, yet no one can tell me how to get permission.

In that case you give your self permission. :laughing7:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
uh oh, wait till Tom sees this thread.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I swear Tom gets action alerts immediately text to his phone when these subjects arise. Exactly like an Amber alert. :laughing9:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEVER ask if it is OK to detect a park or public space. Use common sense, Detect at times when the fewest people use the area (Dawn is the BEST time!), don't use large shovels, and don't argue with police or park workers if confronted. :skullflag:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEVER ask if it is OK to detect a park or public space. Use common sense, Detect at times when the fewest people use the area (Dawn is the BEST time!), don't use large shovels, and don't argue with police or park workers if confronted. :skullflag:

Dont get Scuba going Terry!

OP
OP
S

Selsaro

Dec 29, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why are you asking the county about parks controlled by the city, they can only answer for any county parks if any exist.

Oops, I ment I asked my township, haha.
There was some type of law about MDing last year, but I couldn't find much information on their website besides their information ��

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why, why WHY do people think they have to go begging permission to use public spaces? It just boggles my mind. So many people ASSUME that everything is illegal unless it's specifically allowed. I feel like I've fallen into bizzarro world.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Next time you are at a park, ask people if they got permission to play ball, walk their dog, play catch..................pretty sure no one did!!

OP
OP
S

Selsaro

Dec 29, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why, why WHY do people think they have to go begging permission to use public spaces? It just boggles my mind. So many people ASSUME that everything is illegal unless it's specifically allowed. I feel like I've fallen into bizzarro world.

I wasnt begging permission. I just asked my Township about any restrictions or any laws about
MDing in the area, as I'm fairly new to the hobby and I didn't really know these things haha, but I think I'll just go anyways.. since it's true that it's a PUBLIC park, not a restriction park.

Thanks, I'll probably go out to the park and MD there pretty soon :)

Last edited:

Kentucky Digger

Mar 29, 2016
Boyd County, KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150', Fisher F22, Garrett pro pointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In in Kentucky, we have a city park that's been around since the civil war- it actually is the only known civil war campsite in the area. Along with that it has sacred Native American burial grounds, it's just 4 hills side by side. Although you can't detect the burial grounds, it is permitted to detect all of areas of the park! No permission was asked to hunt the park. But you'd be surprised have fast the park officials come at you if your on those hills.
HH and GL.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P8260033.JPG

Like everyone has stated, you have the right to detect there unless one of these things is posted by the entrance...

This sign halted any detecting in this large park because some bozo was digging holes, leaving the trash found next to the holes and not filling in the holes. As others have said, go out of your way to pick up any trash you see laying on the ground, not just the trash you dig. Unfortunately a large part of the population didn't take the class at an early age that is titled, "Don't Litter!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread