Question about junior detectors

BeachCrazy

Aug 1, 2016
South West Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but I have been beach detecting for a little while now and really only have experience with my Excalibur. But my little brother who is 11 years old took an interest in my detector today. So I want to take advantage of it and get him a detector. so my question is what is a good detector for him for the beach and field. Thank you for your reply in advance.

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get him a Bounty Hunter from Walmart....don't spend more than $120....
At 11 yrs old, there's a 50/50 chance he will stick with the hobby.
It's a capable machine, and you won't go broke if he decides to play video games instead.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I agree with big wave Dave. He may not like it and if he doesn't your not out a ton of money. The minelab go find series are affordable as well. But if you do have the budget, the At Pro and whites new mx sport are both waterproof. The at pro goes for around 600 new, and i believe the mx sport is about 750 if my memory serves me correctly. I have been thinking about getting the mx sport myself. It looks like a good detector and it is white's newest.

Good luck in your search...

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; The At Pro I think is a great detector for him to learn on. It has VDI and Screen Target ID. Good depth and works fine in the wet sand. PLUS if he wants to search parks the At Pro has good Discrimination abilities. This way even if he does not stay with it you still havev yoiurself a good solid backup detector. I have fnd that the reason that most of the kids I've worked with over the years is that they get tired of digging up trash and pulltabs. Heck, thats frustrating even for us Pro's. The At Pro will fill that void nicely. Make sure to get him a GOOD se of headphones like the Grey Ghosts or Killer Bees. You can't find what you don't hear ok. Also make sure to teach him how to PROPERLY dig a hole and that he fills EVERY hole no matter where he is at or how deep it is or isn't ok. Anyone can dig a hle but to do it PROPERLY is a skill he will need to learn ok.I started when I was 11 yrs old. I'm 59 now. Think about the Life time of Adventure he will have together with you ok. Happy Hunting. PEACE:RONB

PS: Another thing is that the AT Pro will allow him to learn how to use the Modern Detector Programs that are now on every detector made today. That knowledge will always carry him over to using the newer detectors that will soon be the Norm and in fact are so now ok. It's a good beginners Education. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

Last edited:

KandiKlover

Jan 7, 2017
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (got for free)
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Haha AT Pro. Man wish these rich guys were my parents growing up lol BigWaveDave recommendation is pretty solid, the TK4 bounty hunter is a nice full size. Maybe he gives it up shortly after but than wants to do it again as a teen it will always be there.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy him something really nice that you always wanted to have. That way if he looses interest you will be set. If he doesn't, he will be set.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
get him a used Fisher F2 locally, I see them sell as low as $100. I got one for that price and a couple others in the region sold for that price recently. It is a light detector and very easy to use. You can find open box F2's for $159 on line that come with 2 coils and a pin pointer. Now if you want something newer you might want to look into this one

Teknetics Digitek Metal Detector - Kellyco

I believe both will do fine in the dry sand.

OP
OP
B

BeachCrazy

Aug 1, 2016
South West Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for everyones response still looking into what he might be able to use.

KandiKlover

Jan 7, 2017
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (got for free)
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Buy him something really nice that you always wanted to have. That way if he looses interest you will be set. If he doesn't, he will be set.

What if he loses interest but doesn't let you have the detector back? Finders keepers lol

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a nice Teknetics Delta 4000 for sale on C-List in Ft Myers ($100) that would be another great 1st detector for your son.

00N0N_2naVtj0JP0l_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got my seven year old Grandson a Go Find 20 for Christmas........First hunt, Easy to use He loves it! 0101171308.jpg 0101171357.jpg 0101171420a.jpg About $100

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he'll just be hunting dry sand or turf areas, an inexpensive detector will work fine. If he's going to follow you into the wet sand or ocean, detectors that aren't designed for that environment will just be frustrating to use with all the false signals.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
get him a used Fisher F2 locally, I see them sell as low as $100. I got one for that price and a couple others in the region sold for that price recently. It is a light detector and very easy to use. You can find open box F2's for $159 on line that come with 2 coils and a pin pointer. Now if you want something newer you might want to look into this one

Teknetics Digitek Metal Detector - Kellyco

I believe both will do fine in the dry sand.

Totally! The F2 is my first machine and I did the 2 coil and pin pointer package. I'm not hitting major silver like some of the other members (I blame my location choices/options) but with the clad and multiple gold rings, I've more than made up my investment on the MD itself. All the other gear is another story…

My only beef with the package I got was that the pin pointer blows. I'd rather they had given me coil covers than that piece of crap. The value of the sniper coil though makes it so I can't complain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread