why do most serious mders have more than one machine

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
Re: why do most serious md'ers have more than one machine

got 1 for dirt an 1 for underwater...just like fishing, got small poles for small fish an then have the heavy poles for large fish,I am not out to impress anyone,just got to have the machine for the right job.Been at this for 2 years an I have 2 machines.I can see were a back up machine could come in handy,4-6 weeks for a repair could drive some people crazy.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I was overseas my hunting partner and I went to a Napleionic camp site that was about an hour away from my home . My detector got rained on when a short shower passed overhead . It did not last long but there I was on an amazing site with out a working machine. Now I have a back up machine whenever I go out.

Bill(de)

Feb 18, 2005

Having multiple detectors is similar to having a full set of golf clubs. You don't need a driver to putt or a putter to drive the ball. And there are a bunch of utility clubs in between.

After you figure out whether you need a fast, moderate or slow sweep detector then you decide on the coil size based on your conditions.If hunting salt water beaches you need a detector capable of hunting them without much falsing. Relic hunters like certain detectors and coin hunters like other detectors. Some detectors try to accomplish multi tasks and some are best for 1 task.

A lot of coin hunters like multi tone detectors and try to distinguish between trash and treasure and many relic hunters just dig the beeps. Some detectors cut through bad soil and produce good finds and some work best in moderate soil conditions .

It certainly ain't Sex Appeal ;D in most cases just trying to get a job done. HH Bill

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee

My wife ask this question a lot. I just look at her and say shoes. Never hear another word after that.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

the same basic reasons golfers have more than one club -- some are better at one thing than the other---like a golfer would not want to try to use a putter to hit the ball 200 yards or putt with a #1 wood---a serious hard core detectorist has his "bag" of detectors------land hunting for relics inland use XXXX brand ---hunting on the beach wet sand area ---USE YYYY brand and diving or wet water use use ZZZ brand these brands vary mostly depending on the hunter ---his personal likes and dislikes about various brands and the depth of his or her pocket normally---Ivan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

why do single guys often date more than one woman ?

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In my case when I upgrade, or move on to a detector that better suits my needs I keep the old ones as backup or loaners.

K

Kentucky Kache

Treasure hunters tend to be hoarders, so, what better to hoard than treasure hunting equipment.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

swingingmydfx said:
My wife ask this question a lot. I just look at her and say shoes. Never hear another word after that.
Ya gotta love it-thanks for the tip!!!!!

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, I have 3, still want a underwater detector..I have an extra for a freind to use, and then I got a deal I could'nt pass up....I still want a hi end detector tho, but money will not permit...It is nice to have a couple, as sometimes I start thinking something might be wrong with one...Not the case most of the time...

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI

I have been hunting for over 40 years and have had at least that many detectors. In the 60s and 70s there was a new machine out every month or so and I tried them all. I now have 9 machines, 3 water, 2 gold and 4 land machines. I keep several for loaners and the others I use. I travel all over the world and like to have back up units. There is nothing worse than being 5000 miles from home and not having a working machine.

Les

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lucky1777 said:
I keep the other just in case my main one needs repaired or someone wants to hunt with me.

Same reasoning here as well.

I have a second detector, an Ace 250. Though it may not be a super fancy high end machine, it works well for my kids, or should any friends want to try out the hobby with me. Plus it's always there should my primary detector become inoperable.

JCH

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

BuckleBoy said:
Guys, I dunno. I know a girl that has 12 detectors! And I don't think she has peni$ envy!! Now, I do think 12 machines is overkill... I would imagine that a serious hunter has to have a back up machine for their workhorse detector, plus a water and/or/gold machine if they do those types of things enough to justify the expense. Took me 15 years to buy a second detector. I guess I'm just that confident in my masculinity ;D

Cheers,
Sounds like the perfect women to me!!! :)

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have 3.
I have a back up and when i go somewhere i take one detector with an 8 or 12 and another with a 5 coil.So if it is real trashy i can just switch machines.
And if im trying to teach someone i have a spare for them to use.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

All depends on what you want to do.Back up.. back up... back up.A light simple tesoro machine for the park, and full minelab gear for nugget hunting.

PullTabPrincess

Jul 22, 2007
Gainesville Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Minelab Excaliber II, Troy Shadow X5

From the female point of view, it is JUST LIKE a shoe thing, although I couldn't possibly ever own as many detectors as I have shoes! LOL ;D

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Princess, those are some beautiful boxers in your avatar. I raised them for over 20 years, had 8 in my lifetime as personal pets and they are the GREATEST!

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.

my 6 khz xlt is more sensitive to silver conductive targets,and my 10 khz tesoro likes
lower conductive foil like targets.my tesoro is mainly for backup or lender and is good for
thin gold bracelets.the xlt 85% the tesoro 15% use ratio,depending on need.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2

Last count, I had four detectors, but have now sold one, am going to sell another. Then I´ll have two, but am looking to buy another three, to make five. More than that I don´t think I´ll need, but who know´s, maybe .........................

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000

I bought one and really liked and used it a lot. Then I saw one for sale that I really always wanted, so I bought it and use it half the time now. Then, I was worried that my newest best machine was going to get ruined by the salt water so I bought a water machine and that is why I own three machines. Years ago I used a Fisher 1265 and Technectics 9000B. I guess I have always had at least two machines. It's a good thing I don't think the same about women, my wife would kill me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions