New and just got into Metal Detecting

Golfer24

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2017
Midwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

For some time I have been wanting to get into metal detecting and finally got one for Christmas. Have been a huge fan of treasure hunting and shows like Oak Island. I have been out only once so far, but the weather is looking good next week. I was just looking for some suggesting on places to go and tips for a beginner. All is appreciated.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumright:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet from an Ohio coin shooter

Where did you detect first? What detector are you swinging? Have you ever took an assortment of coins and some bottle caps, aluminum foil and pull tabs and placed them in your yard and go over each learning the tone they ring it as?. If it has a VDI screen and shows target ID numbers, watch the numbers each of those targets rings in at. What are you looking for? Are you a relic hinter, coin shooter, jewelry hunter?

OP
OP
G

Golfer24

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2017
Midwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from an Ohio coin shooter

Where did you detect first? What detector are you swinging? Have you ever took an assortment of coins and some bottle caps, aluminum foil and pull tabs and placed them in your yard and go over each learning the tone they ring it as?. If it has a VDI screen and shows target ID numbers, watch the numbers each of those targets rings in at. What are you looking for? Are you a relic hinter, coin shooter, jewelry hunter?

I went to a local park and searched the beach. I did use coins and bottle tabs in my yard to get an understanding of each detection. I have only been out for about 2 hours. For now I am hunting just about anything lol. It is a new hobby that I am very intrigued by.

Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, White's Bullseye II Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck! I'm brand new at this too. I put my detector together yesterday, and just wennt outside for a half hour or so just listening and getting a feel for it. I had about ten hits in the middle of the yard by my house, but didn't dig at all. Today my pinpointer arrived, so tomorrow begins my new hobby. TREASURE HUNTER!
Good luck, and I'll check in here and see if You hit hit silver before I do. I hope You. do!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What detector are you using? Some will have you hunt with zero discrimination and dig it all for a while, not a bad thing. When I started I used maximum discrimination and notched back in nickels and sometimes zincs. It worked for me and then over time and experience I reduced discrimination to just kill most of the iron now.

OP
OP
G

Golfer24

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2017
Midwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck! I'm brand new at this too. I put my detector together yesterday, and just wennt outside for a half hour or so just listening and getting a feel for it. I had about ten hits in the middle of the yard by my house, but didn't dig at all. Today my pinpointer arrived, so tomorrow begins my new hobby. TREASURE HUNTER!
Good luck, and I'll check in here and see if You hit hit silver before I do. I hope You. do!

Thank you! It is a fun hobby there is no doubt about that. I cannot wait until I can go out and hunt again. Hope you find something good. Good luck!

Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, White's Bullseye II Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My wife bought me a White's Coinmaster, and a Whites Bullseye II PINPOINTER. She asked my Brother, and he said that itnshould be a good beginner's detector. I have seen positive and negative reviews, so I'll try to learn with this one, and if I don't have good luck with it, I'll give this one to our little "Mr Science" neighbor boy, and I'll buy a medium priced machine. In the meantime, in testing, I seem to get some repeated signals on spots, but I'm goin to go and buy a good spade in the morning. I can't wait to see what happens, I've never searched for the old outhouse location, but I do have some spots that have always interested me, so I may start on a very old foundation out behing the creek. It would be great to find a few really old things on my first day. The foundation is just inside of the woods, so I don't think that the area has been plowed since a few trees around it are old-growth. I have my fingers crossed. And good luck in 2017 to everyone. No doubt some here will have a great year detecting, and I wish that for everyone.

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new to MD too, and learning the basics. There is excellent advise here on TN. Experts who know machines and intricate applications. A great bunch and resource! Enjoy learning!

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And Golfer24, in this hobbie it is finding rather than "losing", i.e. losing golf ball in hazards, losing strokes over par, etc. It is a change for me, anyhow.

Look in the section on TN "Today's Finds" and notice what some are bringing home, real treasures to bring before friends and family!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife bought me a White's Coinmaster, and a Whites Bullseye II PINPOINTER. She asked my Brother, and he said that itnshould be a good beginner's detector. I have seen positive and negative reviews, so I'll try to learn with this one, and if I don't have good luck with it, I'll give this one to our little "Mr Science" neighbor boy, and I'll buy a medium priced machine. In the meantime, in testing, I seem to get some repeated signals on spots, but I'm goin to go and buy a good spade in the morning. I can't wait to see what happens, I've never searched for the old outhouse location, but I do have some spots that have always interested me, so I may start on a very old foundation out behing the creek. It would be great to find a few really old things on my first day. The foundation is just inside of the woods, so I don't think that the area has been plowed since a few trees around it are old-growth. I have my fingers crossed. And good luck in 2017 to everyone. No doubt some here will have a great year detecting, and I wish that for everyone.

I used a small shovel for the past 3 seasons. They can be bought at many do-it-yourself stores (wink wink). I have bought them at these prices $6.99 - $9.99

755625009180lg.jpg

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Welcome!

Skippy and Loco gave some great tips! I ghosted around TNet for a long time reading post's in the MD Section more so than Today's Finds because there was more "How To" threads here. If you read a bunch you'll pick it up fast and anytime I've asked anyone a question about what they would do, the guys on here have been great about sharing their opinion/knowledge. Do yourself a favor and read one of Tom's (TominCA) replies to any thread about asking towns for permission to MD in parks :icon_thumleft::laughing7:

I'd add to Skippy's #5 to consider getting a Lesche knife or something similar for in the parks. It's more discrete and precise and makes fixing the turf easier.

7. It takes time. Don't get discouraged if you aren't pulling gold rings from the ground the first time out. Like everything else in life, you will get better and faster every time you go out. Choice of locations will improve too.

Good luck and Happy hunting!

OP
OP
G

Golfer24

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2017
Midwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And Golfer24, in this hobbie it is finding rather than "losing", i.e. losing golf ball in hazards, losing strokes over par, etc. It is a change for me, anyhow.

Look in the section on TN "Today's Finds" and notice what some are bringing home, real treasures to bring before friends and family!

I do plenty of losing in Golf haha. I am hoping this I can find something!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread