garrett ace 250 setting for gold?

bandti7

Jan 13, 2017
cali
Detector(s) used
Makro*JeoHunter*3D Dual System. Some others still updateing.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I need help finding the right setting for finding gold in my yard, I Live in an area where its red dirt and a lot of corts on the ground, I have gotten the tad pool icon to show up sometimes but I get the 5c and 10c most of the time, what does that mean? I know sometimes gold can be detected as 5c and 10c and im confused, I have the setting on jewelry mode and sensitivity at 5, I did order a 0.10 nugget on ebay to see what it will show me when I wave that infront of it, also close to my house there used to be a mineing tunnel and a bout 50 yards from it a trash bit so this area should be great for gold. Also later I can take a screenshot of the kind of dirt im scanning if that helps.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a ace 250 will comingle gold with nickles and pulltabs -- due to its rather limited 12 notch sorting ability .. if hunting gold I would say to trying moving up to the delta 4000 ( $ 279) it has a numbers sorting ability from 0 to 99 --about 8 times as much the 12 notches of the ace 250 with its number ability it can sort much better

first its important to understand how a detector sorts what metals its thinks its found into groups --its by "electrical conductivity" -- some metals have similar electrical conductivity levels --like a aluminum pulltab and gold ring .. that's why with the ace 250's limited 12 block sorting ability the gold and aluminum fall within the same block -- the delta 4000 ($279) has a 99 number sorting ability roughly 8 times as much as the ace 250 so it better at breaking apart the 10 k gold rings as 58 --many pull tabs as a 60 and 14 k as 64 and 18k as 68

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found plenty of gold jewelry with the 250 is all I can tell ya, not sure about nuggets

Jerry P

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2016
Farmersburg Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett A/T Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the gold I have found with my ace 250 fell in the 5c range. 2 14k rings and a .925 cross. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
B

bandti7

Jan 13, 2017
cali
Detector(s) used
Makro*JeoHunter*3D Dual System. Some others still updateing.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info =) I bought the delta 4000 for 219 on ebay and I also bought a .10 gram gold nugget for 15 bucks so I can see what the detecting is like, can somone link me to helpful guids on figureing out the rings and what all the numbers mean?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
its easy -- just run the desired item under the coil look at the number it gives you -- I use a delta 4000 a lot -- I honestly feel that its 0 to 99 numbers sorting display is much more accurate than the ace 250 by far --yes the ace 250 can and will find gold ---found a paper thin 10 k kiddie ring (made in Mexico type) that rang up as "foil" as a by product while digging up a -coin spill at a local baseball diamond that the kids youth league plays at --with a ace 250 ...the numbers you really want to be on the look out for are 58 --10 karat -- 64 that's 14 karat and 68 that's 18 karat -- 77 is zinc cents and indain head cents -- 82 is older pre 1983 or earlier copper cents and clad dimes and silver dimes --mid 80's is quarters --high 80-'s is halves ---60 is often a aluminum pull tab --- since natural unrefined gold can vary in its gold content any thing from 58 to 68 you should check out --for sure the "numbers' are where the item hits on the machines "electrical coinductivity " scale with 0 being low and 99 being high-- iron is at the low end with the next being aluminum , then gold then zinc cents the copper , clad coins then at the high end is silver ...as one notches out or "discrimates" one drops out of detection various metal going from low to high --the higher the disc the less metal you find ... one wants to cut out as much aluminum while retaining as much of the gold as possible when ring hunting ...natural gold nugget hunting is a bit different since gold nuggets --gold content can vary due to their make up and various impurities in them

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
red dirt has "iron" in the soil that is why its red --the oxidation of the iron in the soil --this can cause issues at times with some detectors -- beep beep beep non stop (since it sees the excess iron in the soil like a wall of metal ) --if so just reduce the power output /sensitivity level until it no longer picks up the excessive iron level background in the soil --just until it stops beeping --but no more than that ...emf "energy"bleed off from powerlines can also cause issues as well...as it messes with the electrical field made by the detector --use the same fix

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
big difference between a 250 and a 350 ... blocks vs numbers -- if you are a dig it all type --then the 250 where nickles . pulltabs and gold all fall within the same block it is no big deal ...but most folks would like to at least try to have some clue -- with the delta 4000 if it reads 58 , 64 or 68 you can bet I'm looking forward to a possible ring or a at least a nickel ==like you say numbers may vary esp with raw natural gold .. anything from 58 to 68 for sure I would check out --with a 58 or up --good stuff range

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
with the delta 4000 ---a nickel is 56 / 58 ...10 k ring is most likely a 58 or so ...64 for 14 k and 68 for 18 k ... generally speaking anything between 58 to 68 with a delta is a digging number for gold rings -- with 60 the most common number for a basic modern type pull tab

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread