Can you talk me out of getting an AT Pro?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me first to tell you to go ahead and get it.

MackinawGirl

Jun 10, 2011
Northern Michigan/Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace400, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger, Garrett Waist treasure bag
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be buying one sometime this year for my fiance' for a Christmas present. My hunt will be for the best deal I can find.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been very very impressed with my whites mx sport. Its more expensive and probably not many used. Great machine though, has beach capabilities, waterproof and back lit screen, multiple tones, easy to use. It sorts metal very well if you hunt in trashy sites; I even found a us military button with a big nail corroded to it, detector still knew something good was there. It can also pick up signals pretty deep, I found half a brass nail somewhere around 14 inches. In my mind it's an at-pro killer. Plus whites customer service is impeccable. Theres nothing wrong the the garrett though, its tried and true a solid detectorand I have heard very few complaints about it. Another plus to the at pro is that it has a wide range of accessories available for it where the mx sport has limited choices for now. I still say if you can afford it go for the whites.

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Velox One, Makro Racer(Red), Garret AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had one and found the exact same amount of stuff/dug the same amount of plugs as I did with my ace 400/250. It performed exactly the same on land. It's more about the user than the machine. My local soil is pretty crappy though.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally I don't believe you can beat it for the price:metaldetector:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don't need the VDI#s I stick with what you got already. Once you see how trashy freshwater is you might just stick to the salt.

Bang for the buck ATP is a great option. MXSport still has some proving to do, but much better feature set for the $... JMO

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why, :dontknow: it has a huge following. Not my cup of tea, but plenty of people swing the ATP and are successful in the hobby.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my ATP but its not perfect. Its a great fun, easy to use machine that is backed by a great company and most of the retailers that sell it too. I say don't wait another min. go ahead and pull the trigger, you won't be disappointed.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What talked you into this machine is the question? Research, popularity, loyalty to brand, meets your needs. I bought a Fisher F70 awhile back based on all and it has proven itself time and time again for me. Recently I went out of my comfort zone a bit and went with a new Excal II for a new adventure in my detecting ways and hope that it plays out as a great choice. just need warm weather again.

Good digs to ya with whatever you choose, most important thing is getting out not the machine.

OP
OP
B

BeachCrazy

Aug 1, 2016
South West Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
thanks everyone for your response. one of the reasons I was looking into this machine is because I wanted a more "land based machine" for when I travel but also need somthing waterproof because I tend to get wet alot. also I started with an ace 250 so I know how the machine handles for the most part.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you talk me out of getting an AT Pro?

AT Pro's cause testicular cancer in sea anemones and are built by abused child labor in dark basements while wallowing in their own waste while enslaved in foreign communist countries.

(you're welcome)

Last edited:

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been using an AT Pro since 2013. In my estimation, its an excellent detector for the price. A very durable machine that will perform like a champ in a variety of situations...plus it LOVES finding silver coins! If you decide to pull the trigger, I would recommend getting it with the smaller 5x8 coil. The smaller coil size makes the machine lighter and better balanced. I routinely hunt for 3-4 hours at a stretch, with no back/ shoulder/ arm strain. Good luck and HH.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine leaked after only a handful of uses, cost $250 to have it fixed. Reason enough for me to sell it and keep my excal for water hunting and a myriad of other land machines any of which are better suited for depth, discrimination, target and Tone ID than the atp.

I'd second the suggestion on the mx sport especially for an all around detector.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5x8 coil and pro zero!

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no more tried and true machine for doing what you want to do than the ATpro for the money, I liked the looks of the Whites MX sport but it would be a long time before you would catch me buying one with all the issues. It needs to have a lot of proven time with issues fixed before I would even think about buying one.

As far as the Atpro, I would only buy new and enjoy a dependable machine. I have had a bunch of them and have had zero issues in and out of the water..

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought one three years ago, I liked it so much that when I saw a used one pop up that had both coils I snatched it up, now dad has a detector to use. I often take my deus and both at pros with me when I go hunting, you never know what coil you want and if it's muddy or rains. I've found a ton of good stuff with them

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought one three years ago, I liked it so much that when I saw a used one pop up that had both coils I snatched it up, now dad has a detector to use. I often take my deus and both at pros with me when I go hunting, you never know what coil you want and if it's muddy or rains. I've found a ton of good stuff with them

My first detector, loved it. Had three coils on lower rods, Grey Ghost amphibian head phones, traded it all towards an Etrac, 2 years ago, with no regrets. Now I have purchased a newer used AT Pro with just the 5x8 coil, since that is the only one I used out of the three I had with my other ATP for those wet, muddy days as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread