So, I Found a Gun...

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! I was out detecting an old home site in the woods the other day, taking advantage of the warmer-than-usual January weather. The site seems to be from the mid 1800's through the very early 1900's. Below are some finds from the site that I have dug over the past several months just to give you an idea of what is there:

3FancyButtons.png
1862 IH.png
Dragoon.jpg
F.D.Button.jpg
Buckles obv.JPG

So, the other day, I found a nice convex one-piece floral patterned button, another buckle like the ones pictured above and a gun... the gun is a smooth bore percussion pistol. It has a brass barrel and frame... the barrel is octagonal and of the 'cannon' type. It seems like the trigger and guard were iron and are now gone. The hammer is still there, but rusted heavily. The bore measures aprox. .38"...

pistol 1.jpg
pistol 2.JPG

Does anyone know about these kinds of pistols? I'm guessing mid - late 1800's... the proof mark is not clear and there are no other markings on the piece.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Driftwoood

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if this will be much help.
You really need to sort out the makers stamps for a positive ID.

http://www.birminghamgunmuseum.com/media/Provincial_Makers_Marks.pdf

Thanks, Icewing! That's interesting stuff, though unfortunately it seems there is no maker's mark... just what looks like a proof stamp (which, if it was legible, would likely give some kind of clue). As I add magnification, the stamp just gets more pitted and grainy... maybe with the right light or a rubbing would prove effective.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You can't ask for better Americana "wild west" relicky thing than that. And the compliment of the buttons, the IH, etc... all drips of cool "oldness" for a display shadow box. Great pix !

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Excellent finds. The gun is very cool.

OP
OP
Driftwoood

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a Belgium stamp mark to me.ELG in an oval.

I agree... I was looking at pics of similar pistols by just doing a Google search and saw the Belgian stamped samples and it was the closest thing to what I have. Thanks for your input!

OP
OP
Driftwoood

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't ask for better Americana "wild west" relicky thing than that. And the compliment of the buttons, the IH, etc... all drips of cool "oldness" for a display shadow box. Great pix !

I think you're right. Once I get in another several days of detecting the site, it might be a good project to set up a display of some kind... so far everything is just packed in drawers. The sites around my area seem to have been built around 1850 and were abandoned by 1900 or so. There are tons of cellar holes like this... old stone-lined roads through the woods with cellars and barn foundations all along. Once in a while, I find one that dates from about 1800.

Ender_boy24

Jan 20, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Lone Star Pro Bounty Hunter with Bounty Hunter Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that button in the picture a dragoons button? i saw the letter D and i supposed that was it. Great job on these finds!:thumbsup:

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ca 1840s to early 1850s would be my guess given the unusual end of the barrel.

OP
OP
Driftwoood

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that button in the picture a dragoons button? i saw the letter D and i supposed that was it. Great job on these finds!:thumbsup:

Thanks!! Yep, that's a Dragoon cuff button. I had never seen one before finding that one... just the plain general service and the 'I' infantry ones to that point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread