XP Deus Noob... you guys have any pointers for me?

SigsDigs

Greenie
Jan 14, 2017
Franklin County, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all. I posted over on FindMall as well, so apologies if you're seeing this more than once. I just upgraded from an AT Pro to the XP Deus, received it last week (shout out to Ed at Treasure Mtn!). I knew it was going to be a lot different than the Garrett, but I guess I didn't realize how different. I did a little playing around in my parents' yard this past weekend, and found several coins I didn't get in previous hunts. Today I went to a honey hole I've had, an American Legion property that's seen ball games and dances since the 40s. It's really trashy as you can imagine, lots of beer bottle caps, metal soda caps, pull tabs, etc. Anyways, I got skunked.... as you can see from the photo, all I found was trash. I tried several different programs, both the pre installed ones, and some I found online..... those caps and cans just ring up so good. It's possible I really cleaned up the good targets in my previous hunts, but surely I didn't get everything. I've also noticed that TID numbers are pretty different between the Garrett and the XP.... pull tabs were ringing up mid to high 70s on the Deus, where on the AT Pro it was 50-60.

Any tips you can share with me? I've been watching a lot of videos, and I just received the Deus Handbook by Andy Sabisch, I've started it, but not too far in yet. Thanks for any pointers for this noob!

Attachments

• junkfound (800x496).jpg
    junkfound (800x496).jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 0

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From your picture it is pretty clear your doing everything right. Keep at it.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep reading the book and look up Gary's instructional videos on YouTube. It will help you understand what each setting does and how it affects performance. Soon you will be able to tune your xp to your hunting site and conditions. Like you I came from an ATP. I can't imagine going back to it.

OP
OP
S

SigsDigs

Greenie
Jan 14, 2017
Franklin County, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep reading the book and look up Gary's instructional videos on YouTube. It will help you understand what each setting does and how it affects performance. Soon you will be able to tune your xp to your hunting site and conditions. Like you I came from an ATP. I can't imagine going back to it.

Thanks, I've been doing just that this evening. I think if I had adjusted the Silencer some I could have knocked out most of the bottle caps, but who knows.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My advice, dont hunt sites littered with bottle caps and scrap aluminum. If you must then notch out 0-87 if hunting in 18khz(id norm on) reactivity 3 and take your time. Silver dimes will usually be 92 or higher. Bottle cap numbers will usually drop off as you raise the coil higher from the target

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SigsDigs

Greenie
Jan 14, 2017
Franklin County, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My advice, dont hunt sites littered with bottle caps and scrap aluminum. If you must then notch out 0-87 if hunting in 18khz(id norm on) reactivity 3 and take your time. Silver dimes will usually be 92 or higher. Bottle cap numbers will usually drop off as you raise the coil higher from the target

Thanks for the tip. Notching out that much seems crazy to me coming from an ATP to the Deus. On the ATP silver dimes would sometimes come in at 81-82.... but I guess I just need to try to forget everything about that machine. I have found lots of wheaties there in the past, I'm guessing that notch would cut out pennies, and just go for dimes and up, huh?

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tip. Notching out that much seems crazy to me coming from an ATP to the Deus. On the ATP silver dimes would sometimes come in at 81-82.... but I guess I just need to try to forget everything about that machine. I have found lots of wheaties there in the past, I'm guessing that notch would cut out pennies, and just go for dimes and up, huh?

Wheaties usually ring in 88 and higher. Aluminum screw caps 87 thus why I said 0-87. You will lose indians but doesnt sound like a very old site. I reccomend learning the machine in a less trashy environment using full tones and zero discrimination

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't tell if you're serious or being sarcastic.... I would assume the latter.
I'm as serious as ever. You should see the back of my truck. Keep digging bud. You won't miss anything

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Deus is a good one for picking out non ferrous targets from iron infested sites, but can be a bit tricky to use when hunting for US coins in modern trash that spans the conductivity scale. The strategy then is to try to increase ID accuracy. Two things I recommend: use five tones and set the tone-breaks for your target ranges. For the US coin hunter, that usually means: iron, foil, nickel, pulltab, and copper/clad/silver. If you'r hunting indians, include them in the last tone range. Using one of the lower frequencies, 4 or 8 kHz (I prefer 8), will help the machine to ID certain targets better by widening the target spread in the upper conductivity range where pulltabs and screw caps mingle with copper and silver coins. It will also help give most bottle (crown) caps a distinctive scratchy sound. Just make sure the "Normalize ID" function is off, otherwise it will be using the ID range that is normally assigned to 18kHz, which tends to compress the higher coin range.

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm as serious as ever. You should see the back of my truck. Keep digging bud. You won't miss anything

I will second that, my truck is loaded with junk but if you don't dig the signals your uncertain of you miss a lot of good stuff. Plus I have a fetish with axe heads and horse shoes and don't want to leave any behind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread