Bought the F75 LTD NOT IMPRESSED SO FAR.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used it 4x-5hr day and I'm missing my ATP, it's getting fixed at Garrett. I feel like I get a better discrimination idea with the ATP then with the F75, which is one sound "trash or treasure". I hope that it's me and it gets better in time. Just frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude have you read the manual or at least glanced through it. You have many tone options (11 to be exact). If you are a relic guy I would use 2 tone and dig all above iron, I am a coin shooter and run either 3H or 4H tone which makes nickels ring in as silver (high tone).

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since you bought the detector used, I recommend you do a reset. This will put it back to how it came out of the factory. Fisher has a 3 part video concerning the F75. Nice crash course on the detector.

I still find it difficult to swing the XP Deus with confidence since the target IDs are different than the ones I am used to. I have a hard time getting out of my comfort zone and use the F75 in lieu of the Deus since I have over 2 years experience using it and 3 years experience with the Fisher Target IDs. I used to swing an F4.

I kill all discrimination when I get to a site and swing the coil until I find a quiet spot in the area and do a ground grab. I am a coin shooter and mainly run in DE mode, disc 1-11 to 1-14, sensitivity between 65 & 75, 3H or 4H tone. If the area is real trashy, I go to the 5"DD coil and detect in FA mode. From what I have read JE mode is the hottest mode unless you have Boost (BP). My settings may seem tame, but it reduces the falsing without giving up much depth. If the detector is chatty after I ground grab, I start to switch through the 7 freqs to find a quiet one.

If you need any assistance, you have my number and I am available tonight until 10pm.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to purchase a new Fisher 75 in April or May to use in Connecticut to search for single coins, jewel and for buried treasures. Good hunting and good luck.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually hunt in 4H; which gives nickels a high tone plus a medium tone in the 53 to 65 range. I don't care for the "flutiness" of too many tones in the delta pitch mode (dP). when I hear a target I watch the display to tell me the other bits of information.

Here's a chart I made up of TID readings for various targets on the ground outdoors & as dug.

F75 TDI Scale.jpg

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Fisher units actually have a very robust, rich and informational language in the behavior of the tones and what is happening on the screen.
Some use one over the other, I use both and have experienced some remarkable jaw dropping things and have found plenty even in some of the most difficult sites you can imagine.
It started with the simple F2 and I learned that language and behavior well, then as the hours went on I came to know and understand it at an even deeper level and accomplished things many believed could not be done with an entry level tool.
I continued my learning and journey when I moved up to a much more powerful F70 with way more features and abilities.
I had that language base but there was so much more, as time went on I got deep into my understanding of this one and went on to do things I never dreamed possible in heavily infested sites with trash, ridiculous amounts of iron and depths that surprised me in both great soil and insanely mineralized dirt I hunt in now.
Turns out I had an affinity for Fishers, how they behave and that language...something I had no clue about when I bought that first one just to take on vacations only.

It took some time to understand both of these, I had plenty of experience with others before I picked up that F2 but still there was a learning curve.
Same with the F70, so much more power, all those possible settings I was confused for awhile even though I had that basic Fisher knowledge but soon enough I got a handle on it all and then I was off to the races.
Found tons of great things all along the way while learning both, as my skill set grew my volume of quality finds soared...with both.

It could be that you are just not suited to using Fishers...it happens and some just never click with certain brands no matter how much they try, but there is a phenomenon that has been happening with this brand for a long time that you should know about, especially for years before they added the DST shielding to calm them down.
Many have bought an F75, an F70 and even an F5 and spent more time than you have with yours, got disgusted and sold them cheap...and knocked this brand and their experience with it forever more.
Many more have taken the time to get to know them, enough to understand what they are actually capable of and had complete opposite and positive experiences with those same units.
We Fisher guys can be a rabid bunch, one advantage we have is there have been enough users out there with a very low threshold for patience over the years that have filled the supply lines with used units that still have most of that new car smell left and are offered at fire sale prices.
We pick them up cheap and seem to have no problems with these same exact horrible performing tools...I mean none.
Funny how that works but one man's ceiling is another man's floor after all, perceptions and expectations can be totally different for everyone.

This learning curve to get comfortable can be different for everyone.
Many take to these extremely well right away, some take a bit of time and as I mentioned many never really gave them a chance at and gave up way too soon and I am sure there are a couple that really did try their darndest, put in a huge amount of time and effort but still never learned to deal with them at all.
Such is life.

I had a friend that went from a beloved F2 to an F5 and he had a rough start.
Could not get a handle on it at all for two weeks, he was getting more and more frustrated and kept talking to me about it complaining.
I kept telling him to keep at it...it will come.
After that two weeks on one hunt at a park next to a lake he told me he was at the end of his rope, he almost took the thing and threw it into the water...literally.
The very next day on the next hunt he took it out just one more time and on that one something clicked...finally, what I call an "AHA" moment happened and it all came together for him.
He has been using it for over three years now and has gone on to accomplish great things since then.
He is awful glad he didn't heave the thing into that lake or sell it like he was planning to do...now.

5 hours with this thing is not enough, if it was actually possible to do a Vulcan mind meld with you and pass on what I know and understand about these you would be shocked, and ultimately pleased you own such a remarkable tool.

Hopefully you have the patience to put in a bit more time before you give up.
It usually doesn't take long to get a good working knowledge, the more time you spend with it the more your mind will be blown.
This is not just an opinion but fact, it has happened to many over the years and not just me.

Ask questions about anything you want, plenty are happy to help and get you along that learning curve a bit faster.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since you bought the detector used, I recommend you do a reset. This will put it back to how it came out of the factory. Fisher has a 3 part video concerning the F75. Nice crash course on the detector.

I still find it difficult to swing the XP Deus with confidence since the target IDs are different than the ones I am used to. I have a hard time getting out of my comfort zone and use the F75 in lieu of the Deus since I have over 2 years experience using it and 3 years experience with the Fisher Target IDs. I used to swing an F4.

I kill all discrimination when I get to a site and swing the coil until I find a quiet spot in the area and do a ground grab. I am a coin shooter and mainly run in DE mode, disc 1-11 to 1-14, sensitivity between 65 & 75, 3H or 4H tone. If the area is real trashy, I go to the 5"DD coil and detect in FA mode. From what I have read JE mode is the hottest mode unless you have Boost (BP). My settings may seem tame, but it reduces the falsing without giving up much depth. If the detector is chatty after I ground grab, I start to switch through the 7 freqs to find a quiet one.

If you need any assistance, you have my number and I am available tonight until 10pm.

Loco you must know me. I didn't read the manual (I'm that guy) I just watched a couple of videos. I am going to master this thing. I'm gonna read it. This one has the DST mode. I have no idea what that is yet.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually hunt in 4H; which gives nickels a high tone plus a medium tone in the 53 to 65 range. I don't care for the "flutiness" of too many tones in the delta pitch mode (dP). when I hear a target I watch the display to tell me the other bits of information.

Here's a chart I made up of TID readings for various targets on the ground outdoors & as dug.

View attachment 1404032

Thank you. You must have put a lot of time into this. I just printed it out and it will be studied. Thanks again Charlie.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher units actually have a very robust, rich and informational language in the behavior of the tones and what is happening on the screen.
Some use one over the other, I use both and have experienced some remarkable jaw dropping things and have found plenty even in some of the most difficult sites you can imagine.
It started with the simple F2 and I learned that language and behavior well, then as the hours went on I came to know and understand it at an even deeper level and accomplished things many believed could not be done with an entry level tool.
I continued my learning and journey when I moved up to a much more powerful F70 with way more features and abilities.
I had that language base but there was so much more, as time went on I got deep into my understanding of this one and went on to do things I never dreamed possible in heavily infested sites with trash, ridiculous amounts of iron and depths that surprised me in both great soil and insanely mineralized dirt I hunt in now.
Turns out I had an affinity for Fishers, how they behave and that language...something I had no clue about when I bought that first one just to take on vacations only.

It took some time to understand both of these, I had plenty of experience with others before I picked up that F2 but still there was a learning curve.
Same with the F70, so much more power, all those possible settings I was confused for awhile even though I had that basic Fisher knowledge but soon enough I got a handle on it all and then I was off to the races.
Found tons of great things all along the way while learning both, as my skill set grew my volume of quality finds soared...with both.

It could be that you are just not suited to using Fishers...it happens and some just never click with certain brands no matter how much they try, but there is a phenomenon that has been happening with this brand for a long time that you should know about, especially for years before they added the DST shielding to calm them down.
Many have bought an F75, an F70 and even an F5 and spent more time than you have with yours, got disgusted and sold them cheap...and knocked this brand and their experience with it forever more.
Many more have taken the time to get to know them, enough to understand what they are actually capable of and had complete opposite and positive experiences with those same units.
We Fisher guys can be a rabid bunch, one advantage we have is there have been enough users out there with a very low threshold for patience over the years that have filled the supply lines with used units that still have most of that new car smell left and are offered at fire sale prices.
We pick them up cheap and seem to have no problems with these same exact horrible performing tools...I mean none.
Funny how that works but one man's ceiling is another man's floor after all, perceptions and expectations can be totally different for everyone.

This learning curve to get comfortable can be different for everyone.
Many take to these extremely well right away, some take a bit of time and as I mentioned many never really gave them a chance at and gave up way too soon and I am sure there are a couple that really did try their darndest, put in a huge amount of time and effort but still never learned to deal with them at all.
Such is life.

I had a friend that went from a beloved F2 to an F5 and he had a rough start.
Could not get a handle on it at all for two weeks, he was getting more and more frustrated and kept talking to me about it complaining.
I kept telling him to keep at it...it will come.
After that two weeks on one hunt at a park next to a lake he told me he was at the end of his rope, he almost took the thing and threw it into the water...literally.
The very next day on the next hunt he took it out just one more time and on that one something clicked...finally, what I call an "AHA" moment happened and it all came together for him.
He has been using it for over three years now and has gone on to accomplish great things since then.
He is awful glad he didn't heave the thing into that lake or sell it like he was planning to do...now.

5 hours with this thing is not enough, if it was actually possible to do a Vulcan mind meld with you and pass on what I know and understand about these you would be shocked, and ultimately pleased you own such a remarkable tool.

Hopefully you have the patience to put in a bit more time before you give up.
It usually doesn't take long to get a good working knowledge, the more time you spend with it the more your mind will be blown.
This is not just an opinion but fact, it has happened to many over the years and not just me.

Ask questions about anything you want, plenty are happy to help and get you along that learning curve a bit faster.

Thank you for the inspiration. I get frustrated but I keep going. I just have to put in the hours and get some knowledge under my belt. This one also has the DST Mode. I don't even know what that is. Since I know the ATP so well I assumed I'd pick this one up quick. Lol Hey it got me humble again. Thanks again for the encouragement.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
DST...digital shielding technology.
These are extremely high gain units, DST makes them quiet especially useful around high EMI sites.

Something you should know....
The sensitivity, gain, control is not what you may think.
99 is full bore but 75 is not 75% power, 50 is not 50% power, 33 is not 1/3rd power and so on.
Plus there is a reverse governor of sorts programmed in, there is a certain limit you can go down to and no further.
They are all way higher than you might suspect and can go deep on lower settings that you might believe.
There is a vid out there with an F70 that is hitting an 8" nickel in disc with the sense set at 1 and others with the F75 reaching deep on very low gain settings.

Many used to turn them too high, especially in the pre DST days, and they were not happy with the chatter.
Not a big deal anymore but don't be afraid to turn it down from that factory level 80 if you want for even better stability if needed.
These are some of the deepest tools on the planet using more different settings than you might think.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DST...digital shielding technology.
These are extremely high gain units, DST makes them quiet especially useful around high EMI sites.

Something you should know....
The sensitivity, gain, control is not what you may think.
99 is full bore but 75 is not 75% power, 50 is not 50% power, 33 is not 1/3rd power and so on.
Plus there is a reverse governor of sorts programmed in, there is a certain limit you can go down to and no further.
They are all way higher than you might suspect and can go deep on lower settings that you might believe.
There is a vid out there with an F70 that is hitting an 8" nickel in disc with the sense set at 1 and others with the F75 reaching deep on very low gain settings.

Many used to turn them too high, especially in the pre DST days, and they were not happy with the chatter.
Not a big deal anymore but don't be afraid to turn it down from that factory level 80 if you want for even better stability if needed.
These are some of the deepest tools on the planet using more different settings than you might think.

Thanks digger I'm going to study this machine. Even though I'm frustrated I know I'm blessed to have it.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Frustration will turn to joy and then shock and awe....eventually.
Pretty common experience for many new Fisher owners, give it time and you will be rewarded.
Trust me.

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bro I had an F75 years ago it is one of the most missed detectors I owned beside my Tiger Shark. I can say if you go from a Garrett machine to the F75 you will be losts it is in your tones but once you get this machine figured out I believe you will use it more than your Gaett machine. happy hunting go to the manual check it out I read mine 2 times it did wonders helps more than you think

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bro I had an F75 years ago it is one of the most missed detectors I owned beside my Tiger Shark. I can say if you go from a Garrett machine to the F75 you will be losts it is in your tones but once you get this machine figured out I believe you will use it more than your Gaett machine. happy hunting go to the manual check it out I read mine 2 times it did wonders helps more than you think

I know I know. I don't read instructions either my wife hates that. Lol I know those Garrett tones so good but I got the F75 because I knew I had to take my obsession to the next level. I do know it hits deep. I hit a 1918 wheatie at least 8" and it hit good. Now I did like that :) IMG_1559.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread