Detecting Lead

Photoman

Greenie
Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some boneheads accidentally dropped a battery from a fishing motor into a pond near our house. I'm assuming it's a car battery or something similar. Would a cheap metal detector be sensitive enough to detect the lead posts or other parts of the battery? I have a quick silver bounty hunter and was considering dragging the coil where they dropped the thing. Hoping to get it out of there before it starts leaching nasty stuff into the water. If this is the wrong forum please let me know.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should detect it only the coil is waterproof

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as it's not deeper than you can get with the coil, most detectors are not waterproof just the coil is waterproof. HH

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Again, depending on how deep the water is, go to your local hardware store and buy a garden rake (if no grasses) or a leaf rake) if there is aquatic vegetation). Rake along the bottom. If it's a car battery, you'll know it when you hit it. But before you do anything, find out what kind of battery.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try snorkeling for it - or find a guy near by with a water machine
you may find someone on the beach and water forum
batteries are like 75% lead not just the posts - will blast off like a man hole cover

OP
OP
P

Photoman

Greenie
Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.- lots of rocks and boulders on the bottom but a rake is still worth a try. The kids who lost it-to their credit-tried snorkeling with no luck. The bounty hunter supposedly has a waterproof coil and the wire looks pretty long if I remove it from the stem of the detector and drag it.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread