chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter discovery 1100
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never use water. I think someone in a previous reply said tooth pick...I agree...Flatten a tooth pick out a little on the end so it resembles a tiny broom....Clean the coin as well as possible with it getting the crud off..Rub a little, very little of regular Chapstick (Black tube) between your fingers then massage the coin and it will usually bring it back to life quiet a bit. This works with button, buckles also.
Thanks Virginia digger

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Then I artificially toned it.

View attachment 1405650
View attachment 1405651

And finally I worked on it to bring it to a more natural look.

View attachment 1405653
View attachment 1405654

Again, everyone has a different opinion when it comes to cleaning coins and there are many, many threads on Tnet discussing it. But personally, I'd rather have a pleasant looking coin than an unrecognizable metal disk.
What was your process for these two steps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our soil has a lot of clay and river mud so initially, if I think I have something good, I put it dirty in a separate sleeve of my pouch. When I get home I soak it in water with a little detergent. Then I rinse. From there the chewed toothpick.

At one hunt I was convinced I had a large cent until I got it home and it turned out to be a brick red stained Kennedy half.

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What was your process for these two steps?

To tone it I used an egg. I boiled it to a hard boiled state and then took it right from the water and put it into a zip top bag. I then crushed it in the bag, shell and all. (Careful because it'll be hot!)

I then wrapped the coin loosely in a small piece of paper towel and put it in the bag with the egg, being careful not to have the coin touch the egg. I sealed up the bag and let it sit for about 15 minutes or so. The sulfur in the egg will react with the silver to give it the tarnished look.

After it got to the dark color I was looking for, I took it out of the bag and then sprinkled just a small pinch of baking soda on it. I very lightly rubbed each side of the coin with the dry baking soda which removed some of the artificial toning, until I was satisfied with the final appearance.

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's friggin' awesome! Love that ingenuity.

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's friggin' awesome! Love that ingenuity.

Well thanks, but I can't take credit for coming up with the process. I read how to do it somewhere online. But it was the first time that I tried it and I was pretty impressed with the results.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions