What else is needed?

51Relic

Greenie
Jan 20, 2017
Prince Edward Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. After doing a lot of research, reading posts and articles at various MD sites, meeting with some experienced people and talking with dealers I have come up with my needs list. Most of my metal detecting will be done on land with the occasional beach or river stream. Obviously I can't rush out and get the best of everything right away but I am trying to get quality in what is necessary.

Comments and suggestions are welcome:

• XP DEUS WITH WS5 FULL SIZED WIRELESS HEADPHONES, REMOTE AND 11" SEARCH COIL
  • GARRETT PRO - POINTER AT
  • White's DigMaster Digging Tool with Double Sided Edge and Sheath
  • XP Deus soft carrying bag
  • XP DEUS Hipmount case & Silicon Shell
  • MD pouch/recovery bag
  • beach scoop (need research)
  • knee pads & gloves
  • trowel
  • shovel (need research)

The XP Deus is extravagant for a newbie I know, but I am confident in my interest and my ability to master the technology. (I have a few high-end, electronic telescopes from my other hobby) I also like the fact that the XP Deus can surprise in many worked over sites, which is certainly the case here on our small island.

What else might I need to spend my kids' inheritance on? :-)

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you hike very far from your vehicle, I like to have a back pack for water, food, extra batteries, etc. Sunspot makes the best sand scoops IMO. I also prefer the Lesche digging tools. Frogg Toggs makes some good lightweight rain gear for a decent price. A good hat, sun glasses, and sunscreen for hot, sunny weather. The most important thing............an understanding wife who is willing to see you less and let you get addicted to this hobby!

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Nothing gets under my nerves more than walking back to the car because I left something there (regardless of distance)...

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
  • XP Deus soft carrying bag
  • XP DEUS Hipmount case & Silicon Shell

What else might I need to spend my kids' inheritance on? :-)

Are you planning on using the soft carry bag to haul your detector in the field or just to store it? If using to hike into hunting grounds there are better options. I have the soft carry bag and it's really flimsy. You can purchase a short rifle backpack that is much better constructed to haul the detector. If using for storage you can't beat the XP hardcase.

IMG_2284.JPG

I would ditch the silicon case idea and get a "Thesaurus Detecting" XP cover. You don't need to buy a "hip mount case" as your detector will come with one.

IMG_2075.JPG
IMG_2076.JPG

If you want a totally waterproof option, get the Acyra iPhone 4 case.

IMG_2083.JPG

Don't glue the small cap on the back. Instead search eBay for this (Russian seller).

IMG_2724.JPG

IMG_2082.JPG

IMG_2408.JPG

OP
OP

51Relic

Greenie
Jan 20, 2017
Prince Edward Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you hike very far from your vehicle, I like to have a back pack for water, food, extra batteries, etc. Sunspot makes the best sand scoops IMO. I also prefer the Lesche digging tools. Frogg Toggs makes some good lightweight rain gear for a decent price. A good hat, sun glasses, and sunscreen for hot, sunny weather. The most important thing............an understanding wife who is willing to see you less and let you get addicted to this hobby!

Very good points here. As for the very understanding wife, my bride thinks she coming with me on my hunts and that she will share in the work by doing the finding.......(ya, right, like that is gonna happen!) (In case she reads this, I was just joking dear, seriously!)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking about the zip lock baggie idea and believe I will stay with my hand towel. On a windy day my towel will lay better than a light piece of plastic. My wife washes a load each week to clean my weekend dirt fishing clothes (many layers X 2 days) and is enough for a load. My towel gloves and nail apron also get thrown in.

I loved the diversity of all those who posted concerning this matter. We all have our own likes and dislikes, but we are all on the same mission. The same think happened in the Army, you had a list of what was the uniform of the day/mission, but everyone made their own little adds and deletes, it's in our nature. I know I showed all I carry in the mini-van, but here is what I wear on a nice day.

Nail Apron
Pin pointer in holster mounted in the center of my back on my pants belt
Knee Pad on my right knee
Lesche hand digger and sheath mounted on the knee pad strap on the outer leg This works good for me. When I kneel down to retrieve a target I lay my detector down on my right hand side, so my hand is right next to my lesche digger mounted to my knee pad. It's very convenient instead of having to reach back up and pull it from the belt mounted holster.
Lesche Sampson digger in holder mounted on my left side or
I have a hook I made to hold my little $8.99 shovel over my left rear pocket.
Wireless headphone transmitter & receiver mounted to the detector and headphones
Seasonal headphones
and my detector

on hot days I wear a camelbak or other brand hydration pack

Here is a pic of a couple hooks I made from some of my finds (heavy 8 gauge copper wire). Its hang over my belt and inside my pants.

hooks.jpg

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't read through all replies, IMO the most important things besides detector and something to dog with is the proper frame of mind and practice.
A guy with a $250 detector can smoke a guy with a $2k detector in finds. Realize in advance that most of what you find will be pure trash and junk, and that treasure is not going to come flying out of the ground at you. [Not saying you personally feel that way, just in general for those starting].

Patience and persistence is needed, with that in mind, it is not a matter of if but when you will find something good.

OP
OP

51Relic

Greenie
Jan 20, 2017
Prince Edward Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't read through all replies, IMO the most important things besides detector and something to dog with is the proper frame of mind and practice.
A guy with a $250 detector can smoke a guy with a $2k detector in finds. Realize in advance that most of what you find will be pure trash and junk, and that treasure is not going to come flying out of the ground at you. [Not saying you personally feel that way, just in general for those starting].

Patience and persistence is needed, with that in mind, it is not a matter of if but when you will find something good.

I tend to agree that approaching any hobby with proper frame of mind, patience and practice is advisable. I am getting into this hobby late in life but I have long held an interest in it. I researched it twenty years ago but veered off into space with the hobby of astronomy. This time I have a mentor, an experienced detectorist with more than thirty years experience. At the end of the day, I don't really care what I find as long as I have enjoyed the time with family and/or friends. (unless of course I stumble upon a buried treasure chest worth gazillions. Even then, at my age it would just wind up being something someone else might be fighting over, hehe):happysmiley:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you don't need all that crap
I have one detector, a digger I bought at lowes for $5
a mesh bag my wife made and a scoop made from a hoe with stainless welded sides point period done

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Carrying a frisbee sounds like too much trouble since one would need to carry it in one's hand or make a belt hook for it and even that sounds cumbersome. I simply carry a gallon zip-lock bag in my pocket or pouch and put my excavated dirt on it. Very light, not cumbersome, and very effective. None of the others have mentioned the most important need though, PATIENCE. Metal detecting requires digging tons of trash to be successful and many folks see the romance of finding cool stuff but don't really have the patience to face the reality of digging mostly junk. This is why there are so many lightly used machines for sale. I don't care how sophisticated a machine you use, you will find many more pieces of trash than good targets. Best of luck to you, and may your trash to goodies ratio be a good one. He who digs the most holes finds the most good stuff, discriminator or not.

silly, you carry the frisbee on your head!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nah you get used to it

veemaxx

Dec 22, 2015
Raymond, Ne
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, BH Tracker 4, XP Deus, (CTX 3030 sold due to elbow pain)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've spent the last year just throwing my homemade digger, pinpointer, probe and small cloth into one of those 5 gallon orange homedepot buckets and carrying it with my free hand slightly behind my hip. People for the most part think I am picking up trash, which for the most part I am, and the bucket gives me something stable to brace against to stand up which is huge for this old guy. With the various belt packs I never had room for cans and emptying the trash was messy. In my vehicle everything stays together so I'm not forgetting tools. I always leave a few cans in the bucket for snoopy people to see and some tot lot cars for the little kids. One hardshell kneepad and a wide brimmed hat and I'm ready to go.
One more thing I always carry is my S&W fanny pack, looks like a gun pouch but for me it just holds what ever most men carry in their pockets.

OP
OP

51Relic

Greenie
Jan 20, 2017
Prince Edward Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've spent the last year just throwing my homemade digger, pinpointer, probe and small cloth into one of those 5 gallon orange homedepot buckets and carrying it with my free hand slightly behind my hip. People for the most part think I am picking up trash, which for the most part I am, and the bucket gives me something stable to brace against to stand up which is huge for this old guy. With the various belt packs I never had room for cans and emptying the trash was messy. In my vehicle everything stays together so I'm not forgetting tools. I always leave a few cans in the bucket for snoopy people to see and some tot lot cars for the little kids. One hardshell kneepad and a wide brimmed hat and I'm ready to go.
One more thing I always carry is my S&W fanny pack, looks like a gun pouch but for me it just holds what ever most men carry in their pockets.

Using one of those buckets is not a bad idea. The only concern I have is will my gimpy arhtritic knees be a problem for me constantly kneeling and standing (which is the hardest). This might be a good solution which will allow me to enjoy the hobby for more than justa few years. Thank you for this.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my experience there are 3 things you need to be successful, none of which is on your list. They are Patience, Persistence, and Determination.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
another option is to tape it to your head, if you find two sided tape you can then carry aluminum trash on the outside of the tape

Yeah but if my Father and Grandfathers are any indication, hair retention may be a concern. I wouldn't want to speed that process up by putting tape on it 🤔

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you canadian! the tape only touches the frisbee and your chin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread