What else is needed?

51Relic

Greenie
Jan 20, 2017
Prince Edward Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. After doing a lot of research, reading posts and articles at various MD sites, meeting with some experienced people and talking with dealers I have come up with my needs list. Most of my metal detecting will be done on land with the occasional beach or river stream. Obviously I can't rush out and get the best of everything right away but I am trying to get quality in what is necessary.

Comments and suggestions are welcome:

• XP DEUS WITH WS5 FULL SIZED WIRELESS HEADPHONES, REMOTE AND 11" SEARCH COIL
  • GARRETT PRO - POINTER AT
  • White's DigMaster Digging Tool with Double Sided Edge and Sheath
  • XP Deus soft carrying bag
  • XP DEUS Hipmount case & Silicon Shell
  • MD pouch/recovery bag
  • beach scoop (need research)
  • knee pads & gloves
  • trowel
  • shovel (need research)

The XP Deus is extravagant for a newbie I know, but I am confident in my interest and my ability to master the technology. (I have a few high-end, electronic telescopes from my other hobby) I also like the fact that the XP Deus can surprise in many worked over sites, which is certainly the case here on our small island.

What else might I need to spend my kids' inheritance on? :-)

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hated knee pads. They never stay put and are sweaty. Look extremely dorky as well. I use a 12" round kneeling pad cut from a large inner tube. Folds up into my pouch when not needed.

Get a Lesche M85 digging tool.

Eagle/Lesche shovel as well.

Never played with a Deus but have heard good things.

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are still looking for a nice pouch; a member here by the name of Matt makes some really nice ones. User name FREELOADER.

The only thing you didn't list and need.. good targets under the coil!

Cost: priceless.

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just so you know; if you go the Deus route as you've described the hip case for the remote is included. The silicon protector is an accessory though. Also, some people like the protector cover, some don't. It is slightly opaque which can make reading the screen a little difficult.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you have done some good research. Only thing I would add is a large frisbee. I picked up this advice on tnet when I started. Idea is that you place your dirt on the frisbee and then neatly dump it back in the hole. You'll dig lots of holes, but leaving no trace is very important in this hobby and the frisbee technique eliminates lots of spilled dirt on the grass after the plug is placed back in. Also fun to throw the frisbee when inquisitive children come up to you.

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you have done some good research. Only thing I would add is a large frisbee. I picked up this advice on tnet when I started. Idea is that you place your dirt on the frisbee and then neatly dump it back in the hole. You'll dig lots of holes, but leaving no trace is very important in this hobby and the frisbee technique eliminates lots of spilled dirt on the grass after the plug is placed back in. Also fun to throw the frisbee when inquisitive children come up to you.

I've never heard about the frisbee.. ever. Sounds good though; better than a ground cloth.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hated knee pads. They never stay put and are sweaty. Look extremely dorky as well. I use a 12" round kneeling pad cut from a large inner tube. Folds up into my pouch when not needed.

What a great idea! Gonna make me one!

OP
OP

51Relic

Greenie
Jan 20, 2017
Prince Edward Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great idea for the kneeling pad. I used them for gardening and know exactly what you mean. What is so special about an Eagle/Lesche shovel? I am not sure they are even available in Canada.

OP
OP

51Relic

Greenie
Jan 20, 2017
Prince Edward Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are still looking for a nice pouch; a member here by the name of Matt makes some really nice ones. User name FREELOADER.

Thanks for this tip, I was thinking of the Garrett pouch but I will look into this too. My bride is planning to share this hobby so maybe she can wear one too (so she can carry all the pull-tabs, bottle caps and other wonderful trash, hehe)

I am hoping with time and experience, the XP Deus will locate some good things missed by others in the fields here on PEI that have been well picked over I have been told.

Last edited:
OP
OP

51Relic

Greenie
Jan 20, 2017
Prince Edward Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fantastic idea on using a frisbee, Thank you.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I hunt parks, schools and yards I normally wear a nail apron for my finds and trash. I get them for about 88 cents from Home Depot. Trash on one side and treasure on the other. I do have a pouch that is mounted to some army web gear that I use when hunting in fields or woods. I must be a dork because I wear 1 knee pad on my right knee. I like all my gear to be mounted and carry nothing in my hands. For your hand digging tool I also recommend the Lesche. Mine has the serrated edge on the left side since I cut my plugs in a clockwise motion. When hunting in manicured yards I do use a hand towel to lay the plug on. I find that a towel can be held by my belt instead of using a Frisbee. The gloves I wear are from Lowes, a 10 pack for 10 bucks they are cloth and rubber coated on the palm side.

662909947857lg.jpg

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
"What else might I need to spend my kids' inheritance on? :-) "
Ha Ha. I love it!
HH
dts

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other

I recently bought a pouch from FREELOADER. You can't find a better pouch and he will customize yours.
HH
dts

OP
OP

51Relic

Greenie
Jan 20, 2017
Prince Edward Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Who sells the Eagle and Lesche shovels and is there a standard or preferred size? Is one lighter than the other. I assume you only use the shovel in fields and not in parks, sportfields or lawns.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
What is so special about an Eagle/Lesche shovel? I am not sure they are even available in Canada.

Steel quality and durability (i.e. It doesn't bend like Garrett's version). I use the Lesche and thanks to NAFTA they are available in Canada. Do some research though. If I remember right, the brothers split their fathers company in two and one has a better shovel than the other?

I must be a dork because I wear 1 knee pad on my right knee. I like all my gear to be mounted and carry nothing in my hands. For your hand digging tool I also recommend the Lesche. Mine has the serrated edge on the left side since I cut my plugs in a clockwise motion. When hunting in manicured yards I do use a hand towel to lay the plug on. I find that a towel can be held by my belt instead of using a Frisbee. The gloves I wear are from Lowes, a 10 pack for 10 bucks they are cloth and rubber coated on the palm side.

I'm doing almost exactly what Loco is. I had decided to start wearing one knee pad. I didn't wear them through the summer and a wet knee was fine but once the frosts came, that was a bit painful. Same idea as Loco. I only have two hands and carrying an extra pad for kneeling doesn't work for me. Besides... the knee pads don't make you dorky, the detector in your hand does! :laughing7:
Base the side of serration on the direction you cut. If you are right handed, you probably cut counterclockwise so you may need right side serration.
I like a towel or piece of soft door mat carpet. It naturally funnels the dirt into the hole.
Same glove type but I also wear nitrile gloves underneath to keep the hands dry and somewhat cleaner.

Last edited:

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta get me a frisbee!

I bought the Whites digging tool, granted it's the only thing I've used other than small, cheap made garden shovels but it has worked great. The only beef I have with it is it's not made in the USA.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May as well pack a 12 pack with ya if your carrying all that. [emoji12]

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carrying a frisbee sounds like too much trouble since one would need to carry it in one's hand or make a belt hook for it and even that sounds cumbersome. I simply carry a gallon zip-lock bag in my pocket or pouch and put my excavated dirt on it. Very light, not cumbersome, and very effective. None of the others have mentioned the most important need though, PATIENCE. Metal detecting requires digging tons of trash to be successful and many folks see the romance of finding cool stuff but don't really have the patience to face the reality of digging mostly junk. This is why there are so many lightly used machines for sale. I don't care how sophisticated a machine you use, you will find many more pieces of trash than good targets. Best of luck to you, and may your trash to goodies ratio be a good one. He who digs the most holes finds the most good stuff, discriminator or not.

OP
OP

51Relic

Greenie
Jan 20, 2017
Prince Edward Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carrying a frisbee sounds like too much trouble since one would need to carry it in one's hand or make a belt hook for it and even that sounds cumbersome. I simply carry a gallon zip-lock bag in my pocket or pouch and put my excavated dirt on it. Very light, not cumbersome, and very effective. None of the others have mentioned the most important need though, PATIENCE. Metal detecting requires digging tons of trash to be successful and many folks see the romance of finding cool stuff but don't really have the patience to face the reality of digging mostly junk. This is why there are so many lightly used machines for sale. I don't care how sophisticated a machine you use, you will find many more pieces of trash than good targets. Best of luck to you, and may your trash to goodies ratio be a good one. He who digs the most holes finds the most good stuff, discriminator or not.

This is a good point about carrying too much stuff. I only intend to carry what is absolutely necessary and at the minimum. A frisbee could be a nuisance and the zip-lock bag sounds like a great idea. As for patience, if you think metal detecting teaches patience, try astronomy. Mother nature controls everything in that hobby! I have had twenty years of dealing with clouds, wind, rain, turbulence in the sky, and all the other things that can plague your observing or imaging. Metal detecting should be a blessing for me. :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread