Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted for 6 hours today and got 3 Wheaties 1925, 1942 and 1948. The 1925 was at least 12 inches down that the Fisher did pick up which surprised me. The biggest surprise was it WAS NOT a Indian, which is still on my bucket list. Ugggh I yielded around $6.50 in clad, a dog tag and a bullet which I'm not sure what caliber that is. So if anybody knows at appreciate it. I did a lot of digging today the Fisher will have you chasing ghost signals I have to admit that, but it will hit some deep coins I'm seeing IMG_1600.JPG IMG_1601.JPG IMG_1597.JPG and that means that all my old spots are now new again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you. Clad coins are spending money. I am planning in purchasing this detector in April or May. What coils do you use Good hunting and good luck.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted for 6 hours today and got 3 Wheaties 1925, 1942 and 1948. The 1925 was at least 12 inches down that the Fisher did pick up which surprised me. The biggest surprise was it WAS NOT a Indian, which is still on my bucket list. Ugggh I yielded around $6.50 in clad, a dog tag and a bullet which I'm not sure what caliber that is. So if anybody knows at appreciate it. I did a lot of digging today the Fisher will have you chasing ghost signals I have to admit that, but it will hit some deep coins I'm seeing View attachment 1406954 View attachment 1406955 View attachment 1406956 and that means that all my old spots are now new again.

Indians will ring in lower than zinc pennies between 45 & 48 on your screen. I often pull wheats from the ground at 9 to 9.5 inches with good target IDs. You will get used to some false signals and have the ability to know it was a false by noticing that there is a rut in the ground or you are hitting older plant stalks. When I find that I am getting falsing due to the ruts I change to PF mode and drive on.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am hoping you go back over some other trashy site that you've hunted before and use that small 5"DD. You are going to be amazed at the amount of finds you will pull. The 5"DD get amazing depth for it's size.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Ghost signals can drive you crazy, plus on some targets like pull tabs at 8-10" they can mimic a pretty good high conductor coin like dimes for some reason.
Pull tabs have no business laying down there so deep but I have been fooled by a few...still thrilled there was a target down there after I dug the hole, anyway.

As far as ghosts there are some ways to figure these out with a good amount of confidence.
Searching the area with your pinpointing feature to see if these signals are being thrown off by iron in the vicinity is one way, they can give you some nice looking and sounding signals even several inches away sometimes so by pinpointing you can find the actual area of the target.
Once you do hit the pinpointer and move the coil back to the ghosting area and if the numbers keep increasing as you move away from the real target you have a clue.
Also falsing signals don't sound quite as good and solid as most real good signals like coins give off...to me anyway.
Kind of squeaky is the best way I can describe it but they are close and it takes a bit of time to learn to tell the difference.
A pretty good way to get the best info on most targets is to hit them one way and then from another....90 degrees.
Most good ones will have the same behavior, lots of bad targets will not and can change completely.

As always you never know what you are really swinging over until you dig it and masking can cause strange things to happen out there even with checking them out from two directions but after digging tons of targets and noticing and remembering behavior patterns you gain confidence and a much better sense and ability to tell good from bad a lot more than when you are new at learning any tool.

Last edited:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This method was used in the early days of detecting....BUT "The Coil By-Pass Method" still apply s to the Fisher CZ series and the F-75 and Teknetics T2 series...most tone machines.
Iron targets and in particular Thick round pieces like a " rusty round washers" or "Bent square nails" will give high #s and High tones...or in two tones " Low Grunt" and "High Scream" .
So in the field... you get a high tone and then a high #s ...slowly pull the coil to you as you swing slowly over the target.
As you come off the edge of the target ...if the sound still hits high and the #s stay close you are on non Ferris .
As you come off the edge of the target...if the sound is a grunt,and the #s jump around you are on Iron.
Try this and dig according to this method an see if this helps.
Gary

My Friend Monte tells it this way much more technical !

'EPR' .. This is a technique that I was using back in the early days of conventional TR detectors in '71, before Discriminators were popular, to help 'classify' probable iron targets. It worked great with the good TR's I used, and still do with my Compass Coin Hustler and Yukon 99B, and can work with other Discriminators. It is especially useful with out modern, motion-based Discriminate models that often have more trouble with some iron, nickel, steel and other challenging-shaped magnetic metal targets, especially things like crimp-on bottle caps.

'EPR', short for 'Edge-Pass Rejection', is a technique where you isolate or pinpoint the location of a questionable target that gives you a good or iffy audio response and, if you have visual TID, a jumpy or unsteady read-out. Then, you continue to make a side-to-side sweep across the target. Not a long-length sweep, just enough for the search coil to just completely cross the located target.

While doing so you work the search coil back towards you so that the targeted location is swept across with the front 'edge' of the search coil. This is not always going to work the same from detector-to-detector or from one type and size search coil to a different one due to the differences in the shape and effect of the EMF, the coil's internal positioning, and how the detector's circuitry processes the received signal.

Usually, the 'EPR' technique works well with a Concentric search coil when the target is about ½" to 1" inside the coil's diameter towards the center from the outer 'edge' of the coil. NOT right at the very 'edge' of the coil but close to it. Most often, a Double-D coil might not display a proper 'EPR' until the targeted spot is near the outer edge to maybe 1" or so away from the outer coil's edge.

What does it do? Many problem iron-based targets cause us problems because man has shaped them into a more conductive shape. Again, a rusty or even unused bottle cap is a prime example. While many early conventional TR-Discriminators could reject a bottle cap, the modern motion-based units we use today might have problems with those and some other iron-type targets. Both coil types, but especially DD's seem to be challenged by them and 'false signal' a lot. We sweep over a bottle cap or other annoying targets and get a reasonably good audio response and maybe a so-so good TID. Reasonably good, but kind of a questionable audio or somewhat inconsistent TID that hints to a potential ferrous based piece of junk.

Time to use 'Quick-Out' and, if that doesn't work or to add an extra measure of classification, we employ the 'EPR' technique. If the target is a non-ferrous metal coin, such as a US 1¢, 5¢ 25¢ or other coin, you will continue to get a good repeatable audio response and an OK TID as you draw the coil back towards you while just sweeping across the targeted spot until you get to the 'edge' area and lose detection of the coin.

If the target is a bottle cap, piece of rusty tin, an iron bolt or washer, etc., then when you find the functional 'edge' area of your detector/coil doing an 'Edge-Pass' you will get an obvious 'Rejection' of the iron target. If your Discrimination is low for more iron targets, then more will be heard with a low tone (if your detector is working in a 2-Tone, 3-Tone or other multi-tone function that can indicate iron with a lower tone) and will also display a proper 'Iron ID' range visual response. I Relic Hunt most of the time, but use this technique a lot for both Relic Hunting and Coin Hunting needs.

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I use that EPR method, sometimes called rimming, on all pop tops I come across especially using DD coils and it works more than well...I always get a drop as the front of the coil passes over the target.
This technique has changed hunting in pop top infested public parks from a frustrating horrible experience to an effortless pleasure.
On iron in my soil however, which might have something to do with my heavy red clay mineralization, this doesn't work so well.
Once in awhile but nowhere near enough to trust this method so I had to figure out other ways with a higher percentage of success.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am hoping you go back over some other trashy site that you've hunted before and use that small 5"DD. You are going to be amazed at the amount of finds you will pull. The 5"DD get amazing depth for it's size.

Well I can tell you this, my insomnia was on last night and I couldn't sleep, so I left the house at 5:30am and I detected until 2 and I went to all my old spots with the 13" coil. Thinking of silver and gold as I left the house I sit here with 2 cents of Memorials and tons of trash. The single worst day of my metal detecting history. I don't know what happened, it was like I had no solid hits, every one of them were iffy. It reminds me of a machine that has so much power but it smokes the tires. I will say my ATPro has never let me down like today. I got my ass handed to me today. I've never experienced anything like that. Weird day.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
These kind of hunts make you humble....makes you appreciate the great ones all that much more.
Such is the ying and yang of metal detecting.

You got out, enjoyed the fresh air, got some exercise, got 2¢ richer and have good enough health to do it all so...still a good hunt.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These kind of hunts make you humble....makes you appreciate the great ones all that much more.
Such is the ying and yang of metal detecting.

You got out, enjoyed the fresh air, got some exercise, got 2¢ richer and have good enough health to do it all so...still a good hunt.

Well I'm not giving up next time I go hunt I'm gonna do eight hours on the 5" coil

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm looking forward to your finds using the 5" coil. :icon_thumleft:

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard too say about the bullet from just a pic but it looks like large caliber (40 to 50) rifle compared to the dimes beside it.

The boat tail spire point would put it at post 1914 I believe.

Also, it appears too be unfired (no visible rifling marks) so likely it was never loaded into a case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard too say about the bullet from just a pic but it looks like large caliber (40 to 50) rifle compared to the dimes beside it.

The boat tail spire point would put it at post 1914 I believe.

Also, it appears too be unfired (no visible rifling marks) so likely it was never loaded into a case.

Wow 1914? That is great. Thank you for that info Steve.

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get too excited lol. I think the boat tail design was in use as far back as 1914 but is still popular to this day. Knowing the exact caliber could help narrow it down a little more. If you have access to a set of dial calipers, measuring the widest part of the bullet would be a good starting point.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AMEN to that brother!!!!!!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can tell you this, my insomnia was on last night and I couldn't sleep, so I left the house at 5:30am and I detected until 2 and I went to all my old spots with the 13" coil. Thinking of silver and gold as I left the house I sit here with 2 cents of Memorials and tons of trash. The single worst day of my metal detecting history. I don't know what happened, it was like I had no solid hits, every one of them were iffy. It reminds me of a machine that has so much power but it smokes the tires. I will say my ATPro has never let me down like today. I got my ass handed to me today. I've never experienced anything like that. Weird day.

It's gonna take some time to get use to the 13" coil. That's alot of power going to that coil. Go to the SAME area with the 5" and I BET you come home with more than 2 cents!!!! GL & HH......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread