Signal Lost After Digging

Qiforce7

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am using a Makro Jeohunter 3D Dual System. While scanning I picked up a very strong signal indicating 100% metal and 100% valuable using the mid-sized coil. While holding the "Scan" button and scanning over the same location several times it indicated "GOLD!" every single time. This was the most powerful and consistent detection I have ever made indicating gold. But after digging two feet, the signal was lost completely. It is impossible that this was some piece of metal at the surface that I had missed while digging. The detection area was too big for me to mistakenly miss any metals that may have caused it. Also, it was not a hot rock. I went back and scanned every rock removed from the hole and found nothing.

What could have possibly caused such a signal loss? Would you guys recommend that I continue digging or give up? This is taking place in the Philippines by the way.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.....it indicated "GOLD!" every single time. ....

Qiforce7, there is no detector that can distinguish between gold, versus other metals. Yes detectors often have icons for "gold" or "silver" or "quarter" or "nickel", etc.... But those are just broad categories, and doesn't mean other metals or other targets can't share that same conductive zone. Not sure about your exact detector, but just saying that NO detector can give a signal as being "100% valuable" and indicating certainty of "Gold".

As for disappearing signal, this is always going to be a case of operator error. Chasing a flutter that wasn't there to begin with. Or hearing the tip of their steel towed boot, etc... Your best bet is to go to a clean section of beach, and practice with buried targets. Whatever type targets you are seeking. Eg.: if it were caches that you're seeking (since I see you're from the Philippines) , then practice with buried lunch box type sized item. If it were coins/rings you are searching, the practice by burying coins.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had this happen before when I was running with discrimination. Often I will get a good signal only to loose it when I disturb the ground. It's the hallow affect from iron. Sometimes, not always, if I cut off all discrimination the signal that was decent before I dug the plug will return as iron. This is not always the case, but many times it is. Sometimes if you get a iffy signal you can stomp on the ground before you dig and it will break the hallow and the signal will turn to iron. Just something to consider.

HH RN

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a great disappearing signal yesterday. I did finally find it though, a tiny piece of metal about the size of a BB. I'd just refused to give up and finally the Carrot found it - even then I didn't see it, looked just like the dirt.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Often times if your detector is showing a good signal real deep and you dig to where you think it is, and the signal disappears, it was a very small surface or close to surface target. Detectors are calibrated for the most part on coin sized objects, so if they see a tiny piece of foil laying perfect in the ground at a half inch, it sometimes will say it is a valuable target at say 8 inches. I have had this happen to me. The next time you cut a plug, scan the hole to see if your target is still there before you do any digging. If it disappeared, scan the plug. If it was a tiny object in the plug, it will pick it up. The halo effect is also a factor, and stomping the ground does break it up,at least from my experience.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a great disappearing signal yesterday. I did finally find it though, a tiny piece of metal about the size of a BB. I'd just refused to give up and finally the Carrot found it - even then I didn't see it, looked just like the dirt.
I've had this happen too, usually with bucky balls or a 22 bullet. They can be hard to locate. It will drive you nuts.

HH RN

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a disintegrated target.....mineral deposit, iron halo, or corroded foil that fell apart when you dug.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that sometimes when one digs down and destroys the halo that the target is still in the hole and I find it after scooping out a little more dirt and then checking that dirt with my detector. Usually it does this with a coin but has happened with other small pieces of metal.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I detected with a guy once, at some old abandoned military barracks. He was working for 5 minutes on an increasingly bigger and bigger and deeper hole. Each time he'd stop to re-scan the hole, the detector kept signaling that the target was still there. So he kept going deeper and deeper. Eventually he gave up in disgust, and called me over to check hole.

In 10 seconds I saw his error: His signal had come at the corner of an old wooden building. Turns out if was the "flashing" (metal border angle strip) at the edge of the building. And the exterior of the flashing was covered with wood (so it wasn't immediately apparent that it was metal along the building corner). And turned out that the tip of his coil was getting a signal off this flashing. And the flashing of the corner of this building went all the way down rooted into the ground. And he wasn't aware that the TIP of his coil is also sensitive. He just kept assuming the "beep" was coming from below his coil.

And as you can imagine, this sort of "disappearing" signal complaint, is the type thing that NO AMOUNT of printed text could ever have diagnosed. I had to "be there" to figure it out. Otherwise it would only be conjectures like "broken halo" or ".22 or BB teensy item" or "object might be in the plug", and so forth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread