PI machines for wet sand... I need one

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go-Find 60, Bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have come to the realization that I need a pulse induction machine for the wet sand here in Los Angeles...

But I am stuck. I really can't afford to spend more than 250 bucks. I as planning on buying a Fisher f22 originally until I learned why my machine didn't like the wet sand.

Now I guess I am limited to tesoro... Either the silver umax, compadre, or I am hoping to find a used sand shark.

No matter what I need bigger than an 8" coil. I want depth. I'm also the dig everything type of guy. Even if it means getting on my hands and knees.

I just ordered a 50" royal manufacturing sand scoop to replace the soil scoop I have been using too.

I'm not at all worried about a display but will eventually want that Fisher f22...

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A bigger coil on a single-frequency VLF metal detector won't really help you on a saltwater beach. A forum member just sold a Multi-frequency FBS Minelab in the classifieds for $250 !!!!! Be smart, do your homework and due diligence. :occasion14:

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent hours researching last night and thought from what I read that for wet sand/water a pulse induction machine was recommended?

Hence my chatter of tesoro.

What would you reccommend? I really can't spend more than 250 or the wife will kill me (just spent 500 on a rifle).

I'm really desperate to get into the wet sand. The dry sand is full of hypodermic needles (Venice beach, ca)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Multi-frequency VLF, or Pulse Induction. The Tesoro Sand Shark is my go-to beach machine.

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sand shark is the machine I really want. I'm just going to have to look for good deal on a used machine.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I spent hours researching last night and thought from what I read that for wet sand/water a pulse induction machine was recommended?

Hence my chatter of tesoro....

Who said ? And the "chatter of your Tesoro" doesn't mean "a pulse is needed" does it ? As terry says, there are options that aren't "pulse" that will blow your Tesoro away on the beach.

Yes pulse tackles all black wet salt effortlessly. And heck , you get good depth and can get a bobby pin to a foot deep ! But unless your sand is truly gunpowder black, there are other machines , better than the Tesoro, suited for wet salt that afford you discrimination so you don't dig "a foot deep for bobby pins". Perhaps nails aren't a problem on your beaches (if you're in very touristy upscale clean beaches). But on the other hand, if storm erosion cuts out the beach such that targets are everywhere, then the LAST thing you want to be doing is to have to deal with nails, when depth is no longer an issue (and you have short windows of time before the next tide chases you out).

Some So CA guys do well with pulse. Although truth be told, they're chased out of nail-riddled beaches. So unless your sand is utterly jet black (such that only a pulse will do) consider machines like the Excal, Sov, CZ6, etc....

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the difference with those units and a PI?

I'm still trying to get a grip on all of this stuff.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's the difference with those units and a PI?

I'm still trying to get a grip on all of this stuff.

You can use discrimination with Multi-freq machines, discriminating out iron you don't want to dig.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As Terry says, there are machines with discrimination (so you don't hassle with nails) that go about as deep as today's pulse machines (depending on WHICH pulse and WHICH discriminator we're talking about). For example, using a Sovereign/WOT combination, you can go up to 14" on a penny, perhaps 15 or 16" on a quarter, and so forth. That's as deep (and deeper) than some of the beach pulse machines on the market nowadays ! Granted that a fishy-warbly set up. But even a standard Excalibur with the old 8" horseshoe coil, or the current 10" coil, will get you nearly a foot on coins. And these type machines (and others like a cz6, or a 6000 Di pro) will get you into most all wet beach sand that's giving your Tesoro fits.

HOWEVER, a pulse will get you into the gunpowder black sands that the above machines can't. There is some erosion zones down your way (Dockweiler Beach after storm erosion, for instance) that can be notoriously black . And also: A pulse can afford you dangly thin chains and teensy earings that a standard machine might miss. However, they will also have fits on bent nails and such. Which may or may not be an issue. Depends on how nail ridden your beaches are. I just know that where I'm at, anyone who's ever tried pulse on our beaches will .... after awhile .... ditch them in favor of standard machines. I've seen beaches here so thick with nails, that they resemble toothpicks lying all over the ground after storms (with conductive targets inter-mixed in and around them). In conditions like that, you DON'T want a pulse.

Perhaps you could consider getting one of each kind :)

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Spencer, read all you can on multi-frequency detectors and why they're better in salt and highly mineralized ground.
Then search for and investigate those multi-frequency detectors that can ground balance in those environments. Research what detectors people use for the best results and why.
Here in SoCal I use the Minelab Sovereign GT and the Minelab Excalibur on a carbon fiber shaft (for better balance).
The Sovereign is my main beach sand wet or dry (not waterproof) and the Excalibur is for the water because it is waterproof.
There are lots of choices out there and if you are ok going used one can find great deals.
PM if you have any questions.
Best of luck!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In your price range, I would look into getting a used Explorer. You should be able to find an XS around that price. That will get 90% of the targets of all the others listed. For new, you may have to hock that rifle and still add a few bucks! :laughing7: Forget the F22 and other single frequency VLF's. It's either pulse (and iron targets galore) or multifrequency for salt water....period.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread