So what brings you back into metal detecting..again.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I decided to post this because I wanted to hear and share with those who have started the hobby, left and then came back. I started when I was an early teen say 14yrs old continued until I was 16 yrs old off and on started with a Radio Shack Micronta 3001 lots of surface pennys that it, then moved to Whites 4000 Di Series 3 and have to say used that machine and pinpointed very well even better then today from what I recall, today it is harder to detect for some reason, depper more halo effect on the objects, and did find many deeper 4" top pennys and silver with that unit, so was happy with that and sold that unit back when I was say 33 years old maybe??:icon_scratch:

I can recall back when detecting with the Whites that there were few people swinging near me and if I recall had maybe if my memory is correct a Silver Sabre Plus, Cutlass or Eldorado. Maybe in 85 or 86.

He said to me son, you should get yourself a beep and dig machine, I said to this man I am quit found of my display unit and he just shook his head, but remember that guy popin out plugs faster and recovering object faster then I could have ever done with his Tesoro.

What brought me back to the hobby may have been pure boredom looking for something different and started to remissness about the good old days having fun with my cuz with that old Whites 4000 he did the best finding a white Italian gold ring with that when I lent it to him, and happy to say back into it will be a year here now but plan on getting out more with my Tesoro Vaq and Garrett 300i. I think what drove me to purchase a Tesoro was that day.

I was an avid reader as well with Treasure Found magazines and Eastern and Western Treasure so I always enjoyed reading these in my youth and still do today when I started back up. Not sure why I ever left the hobby bad mistake should have always stuck with it now and I find myself on this website pretty much every day now so am grateful for finding this awesome website and sharing my stories with others.

Anyways thought I share my story and get good results on what I currently own as metal detectors and plan on owning more one day, also the Garrett 300i was my first choice getting back into the hobby and decided to buy another for my self the Vaq while handing over the Garrett to my son, but he is in Grade 12 and likes to obviously hang with his buddy's and doesn't have much time swinging his dector with his 44 years old man because he is too 8-) I guess so I have two now, but he knows I like the sport so I am ok with that not going to drag him out if he is not interested...anyways thanks for listening and keep a swinging. HH.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I have left the hobby, and came back. My first detector was in the 90s, and i did it for awhile then quit. Started fishing and hunting more. Did this a couple of times. Then in 2008 I started doing it more frequently and I have been as steady as I have ever been since. I take May thru July off as this is when we go on vacations and take family trips and no i don't take the detector with me. I figure all the time i spend detecting the other months, the family deserve my attention during this time period, regardless if they want it or not lol....

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am back as of three weeks ago due to having to give up my other hobbies, I always knew I would detect again just didnt know when. Today I found my first wheatie in a long time, really crusted, cant even make out the year but I can see one cent on the reverse.

JBudget

Feb 14, 2017
Sacramento California
Detector(s) used
Minelab GoFind 60
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New guy here!
I was given an old 70's era cheapo metal detector from my grandfather about 1996, never found much but was really enjoying it, I was all of about 15. There was a incident with a ego driven forest ranger / cop guy on a bike trail in Sacramento that kind of scared me away from the hobby. I didn't know there was laws and rules about it back than, still unsure of them today? The detector I had at the time never worked after that day, and after hearing the words jail and theft from a old guy in a uniform I never really looked back. Fast forward to 2017 and I am back in gold country and ready to get back out there. Finding this sight has lead me back to purchasing a new "cheapo" (minelad 60) detector and my interest has returned. This site is amazing! Now if I could just understand all these "rules" I might keep on swinging this time.

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New guy here!
I was given an old 70's era cheapo metal detector from my grandfather about 1996, never found much but was really enjoying it, I was all of about 15. There was a incident with a ego driven forest ranger / cop guy on a bike trail in Sacramento that kind of scared me away from the hobby. I didn't know there was laws and rules about it back than, still unsure of them today? The detector I had at the time never worked after that day, and after hearing the words jail and theft from a old guy in a uniform I never really looked back. Fast forward to 2017 and I am back in gold country and ready to get back out there. Finding this sight has lead me back to purchasing a new "cheapo" (minelad 60) detector and my interest has returned. This site is amazing! Now if I could just understand all these "rules" I might keep on swinging this time.

Welcome back to the long awaited return of finding treasure agian. HH.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
New guy here!

What specific Sacramento area sites did you have in mind ? What location did you get hassled in ? The Sac. city parks are fair game (no rules/laws against md'ing). But .... like ANYWHERE, you have to realize that md'ing has ... uh .... "connotations". That you might be about to leave a hole or whatever. So you have to pick lower traffic times when hunting turf, so as to avoid gripers.

A few of the Sacramento parks are administered by fed, not city. That would be Capitol park and Sutters fort park, for instance. So you might want to avoid those. But the city parks are game.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detected in the early 80's, but I had a crap detector and I was very self conscious about people staring at me while I detected. So, not enough fun to continue. Back in the hobby in 2007 after a burglary that wiped out my good jewelry. Detecting, especially water detecting, was a good way to refill my jewelry box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread