Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
While in the surf the other day my Sensitivity knob on my Excal started to spin without consequence. I wasn't too worried since I only change from Auto to the most sensitivity (10), but still. If this happened to my Discrimination/All Metal knob I'd have been really screwed. Since the yellow cap on the top of the Excal knob had long been lost, the exposed 1/4" hex nut was obvious.
20170127_221518.jpg
I thought I had a socket wrench that fit the 1/4 nut in my carry bag/tool chest, but nope. As you can see, a suitable wrench is not easy to come by because of the fans surrounding the nut. In the car, I found a small 1/4" open-ended wrench that fit the narrow opening and tightened the nut a little until I could again adjust Sensitivity. While at it, I also checked the other knobs. I'll have to include a suitable 1/4" wrench for my metal detecting tool chest for my Excal. Is one in yours?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stock Minelab knobs for the Excalibur are junk. Get some aftermarket ones with allen type set screws. You can get them on E-bay for about $17 delivered. Just be careful using them as you can break the switch pots if you crank on them too hard. That's why Minelab made their knobs the way they did. They're supposed to break before the pot does. They sure do! You just bump them or breath on them wrong and they're history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread