50.2 KB · Views: 32
  • rsz_img_1124.jpg
    rsz_img_1124.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 0

dodgers11

Jun 4, 2003
Tennessee
Try looking for books that pertain to the area. Also look for old newspapers. That's where I find most of my information. Try taking the old pictures in those newspapers and comparing them with the area now. There could have been things like theaters, drive-in's, country stores, parks, fairgrounds, etc. etc. that no longer exist. That should give you a few places to hunt.

Attachments

• image-4185586893.png
    image-4185586893.png
    294 KB · Views: 49
  • image-2427273537.png
    image-2427273537.png
    312.8 KB · Views: 48
  • image-1894175838.png
    image-1894175838.png
    337.7 KB · Views: 42
  • image-1474198829.png
    image-1474198829.png
    316.4 KB · Views: 46
  • image-2146519984.png
    image-2146519984.png
    266.1 KB · Views: 44

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
?

chaos11624, need to know what you are looking for. there are so many different areas to a library. boomer

Attachments

• GUN CONTROL.jpg
    GUN CONTROL.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 24

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....
the key is, especially with maps, is the older the better... but just not the old maps, you need recent ones too. Just like rivers change directions over the years, so might roads or town boundries. What I do is take the old topo maps, make a transparency, then lay them over a newer map. You would be surprised at what you find out!!!!

Good luck... give us some more info as bommer said....

8)

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run,don't walk,to your local historical society.Always manned by retired folks who have the time to help ya find EVERYTHING ya need to know,Tons a au 2 u 2-John

Attachments

• finds 007.JPG
    finds 007.JPG
    686.7 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
C

chaos11624

Sep 16, 2003
whoops sorry, im gonna be looking for coins and relics
trying to locate old homesteads and building that are not there anymore or are not in use. does every library carry old newspaper or should i go to a older library would they have more information,
thanks for all your replies

Attachments

• finds 001.JPG
    finds 001.JPG
    575.6 KB · Views: 19
  • finds 003.JPG
    finds 003.JPG
    472.4 KB · Views: 35

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
research

this site has a research section and it has a lot in it. on the research page it has a list of states and below that it has a vary well written section on how to research a lost treasure. at the bottom of the page you can type in the treasure your looking for and it will pull up other web sites. i hope this helps. boomer

The Rocker Box: Recreational Prospecting, Treasure Hunting, Metal Detecting Home Page
... Welcome to. The Rocker Box. a site dedicated to all who enjoy ...
www.therockerbox.com

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Well those old maps at the libraries are golden. Not literally of course. One thing I've tried to do is a specific period search using several criteria that my hair-brained self came up with.
Firstly, I read every story of local tragedy from 1930 to 1933. Especially car accidents, which in that period could result in entire families being lost.
Why car wrecks? If you had a car in the early days of the depression, you some money. Add to that the run on banks over the period, and then eliminate all those who were in the process of moving or migrating when the accident happened. Why eliminate those? They probably had little carried it with them and would have been relieved of what little they had then.

What's left then is a picture of someone who at a particular time in American history had some resources, was not leaving the area to seek better climes and suffered a tragic loss. Then check that list against city directories of the day. Find out where they worked, is there a congregational list at the churches of that day available? This is another clue. No stereotyping, but persons of some denominations were more likely to stash away something than those of another. List gets smaller.

Now you have to decide if the person(s) were likely to have hidden something in their house, yard/garden or garage. Especially important is whether or not this is the type of person who may have dared to gone against FDR and kept a few gold coins. Well, are they first or second gen. Americans? It was a common trait among turn-of-the century immigrants to keep the old world tradition of a small garden stash. List gets smaller.

Lastly, you have decided who was likely among the unfortunates of that period to have left something behind, you know where they lived. Now find the opportunity to hunt that site. When I first went through this process I also limited my hunt sites to those that fell in a certain neighborhood that was being razed.

One the sites happened to be a boarding house run by a son of an immigrant from the early 20's to the early 30's when he was actually run down by accident and left a family that was subsequently lost when they were forced to leave the place to join their family home, now absent his income and apparent monies. I searched the site and did find lots of individual coins from the right era, but no collection. Lots of trash. Later after it was razed another detectorist told me one of his friends did find a stash there of small size but good coinage both gold and silver. I never saw this find and it may have just been a jab or it may have been vinidcation. Either way, just giving you one possible research option, all the tools of which should be fairly readily available to you should you care to do a little reading and some deductive reasoning.

Attachments

• 100_0707.JPG
    100_0707.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 16

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions