Disgusting NS updated MD laws. Please read...

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you were not a foreigner you could come to the US, we could make you great again

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
don't worry, as soon as we annex you guys, things will change

Canada the 51st state!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The way that is worded, I see no threat there. The same could be craftily worded for the USA too . If someone tried to morph ARPA, and then give you 'dire sounding' suggestions that "some cities are off-limits" etc.... Well gee, they say the same about here too. I mean , sure, what country DOESN'T have cultural heritage laws ? But they apply to public lands. Your link specifically gives ALLOWANCE for md'ing, so I don't find it threatening at all. I highly doubt there is prohibition about finding an old coin on farmer bob's land, nor is an archie likely to be "following you around on farmer bob's land assessing the age of each object you find".

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The way that is worded, I see no threat there. The same could be craftily worded for the USA too . If someone tried to morph ARPA, and then give you 'dire sounding' suggestions that "some cities are off-limits" etc.... Well gee, they say the same about here too. I mean , sure, what country DOESN'T have cultural heritage laws ? But they apply to public lands. Your link specifically gives ALLOWANCE for md'ing, so I don't find it threatening at all. I highly doubt there is prohibition about finding an old coin on farmer bob's land, nor is an archie likely to be "following you around on farmer bob's land assessing the age of each object you find".

I'm going to continue on as normal. Just thought I'd share the update! [emoji106]

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
K1DDO1979,
That wording sounds as if they are shutting down all MDing. Good luck and don't get caught.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a bunch of BS, there is not a coin made that the government doesn't know about or have some of them for historical reasons. It's like that here in my state as well I think they say a little less than a hundred years but nobody pays it any mind, the government has the money so if they think the historical value is so great why don't they fund a historical dig already. Like here they don't want you to get something for nothing and your not making a rich person richer, well we can't have that now can we. The universities here don't want anybody to detect either but they won't do a historical dig without someone giving them a grant to do it, in other words they won't do it for fun or for free though their so worried about it, the archaeologist want paid and would never do it for free and then on top of that they will take volunteers to do all the hard work while they take the pay and credit for all the finds. HH

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm going to continue on as normal. Just thought I'd share the update! [emoji106]

Sure. Those boiler plate things are SO easy to surmount (with a little reading correctly), and we ALL know that no one but a few purist archies care about such nonsense. But the problem with citing/linking stuff like that on forums, is this: The skittish crowd reads such things, and develops an "oh no, the sky is falling" notion. And guess what they do next to every other place they travel to ? : They pop in at travel consulates, hotel desks, city halls, border lawyers, etc.... Sending inquiries to bored desk-bound pencil-pusher bureaucrats asking: "Can I metal detect?" type questions.

And then guess what happens ? The "pressing question" gets bandied about, cast into categories like shipwreck salvor, or raiding the pyramids, or snooping into sensitive sites, or exporting gold bars across the border, etc.... Sure enough, someone likewise develops dire sounding "no's" to them as well.

You see how it becomes a self-fulfilling vicious circle loop ? And the more "dire sounding links" circulate, then that merely fuels the same "silly answers", to simply perpetuate the same thing. And then old-timers, who never had a problem or issue, are left scratching their heads saying "since when?".

So I groan when I see such links posted. All it does is to perpetuate the same nonsense you DIDN'T want. And never had anything to do with casual fumble fingers hobbyist level stuff in the first place (so long as you're not snooping into sensitive historic monuments, or crashing archie conventions, etc....)

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess stamp collecting in Nova Scotia is OK, as long as you do not handle the stamps.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You better change your avatar message to something more appropriate like:

"Nova Scotia is a metal detecting paradise for outlaws"

I am certain that you know what to do, carry on soldier.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
YEA leave it in the ground to rot. The way that hodge-podge thing is worded, It would be NS being sued if they interfered with me.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure. Those boiler plate things are SO easy to surmount (with a little reading correctly), and we ALL know that no one but a few purist archies care about such nonsense. But the problem with citing/linking stuff like that on forums, is this: The skittish crowd reads such things, and develops an "oh no, the sky is falling" notion. And guess what they do next to every other place they travel to ? : They pop in at travel consulates, hotel desks, city halls, border lawyers, etc.... Sending inquiries to bored desk-bound pencil-pusher bureaucrats asking: "Can I metal detect?" type questions.

And then guess what happens ? The "pressing question" gets bandied about, cast into categories like shipwreck salvor, or raiding the pyramids, or snooping into sensitive sites, or exporting gold bars across the border, etc.... Sure enough, someone likewise develops dire sounding "no's" to them as well.

You see how it becomes a self-fulfilling vicious circle loop ? And the more "dire sounding links" circulate, then that merely fuels the same "silly answers", to simply perpetuate the same thing. And then old-timers, who never had a problem or issue, are left scratching their heads saying "since when?".

So I groan when I see such links posted. All it does is to perpetuate the same nonsense you DIDN'T want. And never had anything to do with casual fumble fingers hobbyist level stuff in the first place (so long as you're not snooping into sensitive historic monuments, or crashing archie conventions, etc....)
I agree. I was just angry and wanted to share it. I defiantly wasn't ever going to Facebook rant or bring it up anywhere else. Most people don't know much about it and better to keep it that way. If it became mainstream crap it would at the very least spook property owners into not wanting to risk ever giving permission or things like that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions