garety

Jan 23, 2017
red bluff california
Detector(s) used
GB pro DP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how fast do coins typically sink?

I realize IT DEPENDs, upon soil type. But I am just wondering how deep do you have to go to find a silver coins? I have a lot of red clay type soil where I am at in northern California. I have a gold bug pro DP, so ground balance is not an issue. Been finding a fair amount of coins probably 3 or 4 every hour, and I have been going to various parks and stuff for an hour or 2 after work. I have found a fair number of coins as deep as 5 inches, but the oddest coin I have found so far is a 1965, quarter. one year shy of silver.

Also does some soil decompose coins fast? I have gotten lots of 2000s coins that are barely readable. Just trying to figure out if I am doing anything wrong, as most the sites I have been hunting have had people there for 150 years, but most coins I find are less than 30 years old.

Upvote 0

Knut dirtfisk

Jul 2, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Proportional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say semantics keeps them suspended within the dirt/time continuum. That's Just my 2 cents.

sweetinsanty

Jan 26, 2017
Cashtown
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
take into consideration where they are at. look how things build up in a pond and in no time it need dredged out. if in the woods or close to a fence line....things build up quick.

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing we can all agree on is no matter how coins end up hidden underground, it's great that they do!

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skippy SH13;5278831Coins CANNOT move downward without external force. Best example I can share is to fill a jar with wheat or sand or dirt. Then put a coin on top of it. As Jason indicates said:
I only have one question for this example. what force causes the coin to move down instead of up?

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
short answer: density in relation to the surrounding material, and gravity.

Rich jaws

Oct 27, 2014
NY
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made the mistake of asking that very question a few years ago and the thread got a bit ugly. Lol

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Coins alone don't sink, but when they are exposed to the elements, they do. Sjvalleyhunter is right on the money.

Regardless of why they get in The ground, its a good thing they do, otherwise we would all be needing another hobby lol.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to add other detectorists to this list.

I'm working on my pinpointing and surgical coin removal skills by digging slits rather than plugs. I know I lost a few targets today because I pushed them deeper into the soil when I was opening up the ground, and wouldn't have been able to recover them without opening up a plug which I'm trying not to need to do.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the forum garety. Try doing your hunting in the backyards of homes. All my silver coins have come from there.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The Aliens make them sink so they can keep exercising our natural instinct to locate gold and silver for them and their spaceships!:laughing7:

Jeffrey Harris

Greenie
May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an excellent article in Lost Treasure magazine about coin depth and sinking due to the number of earthworms in the soil. In Downtown Phoenix for instance 5" is a deep coin Our soil is dry, not terribly rich and fewer earthworms than in the Northeast for example. Not sure which issue, but it was one of the better metal detecting related articles I've read. A lot of them are filler articles and not relevant. Good luck.

Jeff

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
A much better question would have been, "How do coins end up under the ground?" Sinking is probably the least likely cause.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
There is another source of vibration everyone is forgetting about. Modern transportation. Cars, trucks, buses, trains, etc. all set up ground vibrations. How far these vibes travel along the surface is a good question and no doubt diminish with distance. I have not hunted back yards and stay toward the front and street areas and I'm only finding more modern clad with the exception of a 1920 wheat penny. Back yards would be farther from the vibration sources as would many parks. Hm, I'll bet Phoenix has plenty of vibrations from transportation.

Last edited:

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So how fast do coins typically sink?

I realize IT DEPENDs, upon soil type. But I am just wondering how deep do you have to go to find a silver coins? I have a lot of red clay type soil where I am at in northern California. I have a gold bug pro DP, so ground balance is not an issue. Been finding a fair amount of coins probably 3 or 4 every hour, and I have been going to various parks and stuff for an hour or 2 after work. I have found a fair number of coins as deep as 5 inches, but the oddest coin I have found so far is a 1965, quarter. one year shy of silver.

Also does some soil decompose coins fast? I have gotten lots of 2000s coins that are barely readable. Just trying to figure out if I am doing anything wrong, as most the sites I have been hunting have had people there for 150 years, but most coins I find are less than 30 years old.

Regarding clad/zinc and silver coins. I hunted a park in Ohio that hadn't been open since the early 60s and all I found were silver coins (10-15) running from 4" to 7" and no clad/zinc (using a Troy Shadow 2). I now hunt mostly Florida beaches, east and west, and in the last 4 yrs have found about 4000 clad/zinc and only one silver coin (1954 quarter) using an Excal (but prob 50-60 other types of silver jewelry).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread