ckpage86

Jan 7, 2017
Tucson, AZ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I started MDing about a month ago with my 10 year old son. We have fun. I was out solo today as he wasn't feeling it. I was at the park in the neighborhood I live in, not a public city park.

Always, a car pulls in and sits there while I was doing my thing. I paid them no mind. 20 minutes later a lady gets out of the car and walks up to me, "Hey, do you know what you're doing is illegal?!" (she had a very British accent which is weird in southern AZ), I tell her that it isn't, and that is I was in Tucson I WOULD need a permit for city parks, but this isn't a city park nor in Tucson and she continued telling me reasons (mostly made up) to support the fact that what I was doing was the absolute worst thing a person could be doing.

Anyway, our neighborhood has a FB group and she continues to tell me that someone posted me on the group and was saying I was digging up the park and to keep an eye out for the police, and she even said the people on the FB group are a bunch of babies who call people out for the silliest things. HERE IS THE KICKER: SHE was the one who called me out on the FB group. Instead of talking to me directly BEFORE she called me out on the internets, she decided to throw me under the bus and then tell me that I was in the wrong.

Usually I don't let stupid things get to me, but this is just tooooooooo dumb, and I am still very mad about the situation. Just needed to vent.

Carry on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Don't let it bother you. Look at it this way - you are driving her crazy!:laughing7:

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's mostly about aesthetics. If you can minimize the visible impact of your detecting through better pinpointing of your targets you'll get less harassment. I understand the sentiment, I got scolded for digging in the playground sand by a 5 year old earlier this week. Realistically most people really don't care. But the vocal minority is very vocal.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
with people like that I just ask 'do you need a hug?"

slick356

Feb 11, 2016
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030
Minelab Etrac
Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have taking several pics of her with my iPhone and then told the local police she was harassing me 🤔

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Facebook, OMG.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have taking several pics of her with my iPhone and then told the local police she was harassing me ��

and posted it on the Neighborhoods Face Book page.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would have taking several pics of her with my iPhone and then told the local police she was propositioning me ��

There I fixed it for ya.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must have got a bad batch of tea and crumpets. Keep on 'tectin.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if foreign accented people give me trouble I just say ' trump is going to take care of you'

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She sounds like my wife, she has an opinion and she's gonna tell ya. People like her spell tact A T T A C K.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just get off Facebook, man. Let the women have their drama.

OP
OP
ckpage86

ckpage86

Jan 7, 2017
Tucson, AZ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, I'd have responded to the Facebook post with a picture of all the garbage you've been pulling out, including the rusty nails, nasty aluminum shards, and then "Thank her" for giving you the opportunity on Facebook to publicly show that the Metal Detecting hobby helps the community. Tell folks in the neighborhood that if they ever lose a ring and would like a quick search to give you a ring.

That'll shut her up.

That's funny because that is exactly what I was going to do. Took pictures of all that garbage and was telling my wife about all the crap I've pulled from the playground. I cannot even count all the ripped up and managed soda cans buried under the mulch we have found so far. I also took pictures of my 3" plug before and after replacement on one target too. Was going to challenge the lady go find my holes, because I guarantee she can't.

I ended up not trying to get into a shitfest on Facebook. I posted pictures of some of the nasty spots already in the park where the landscaping is screwed up and said 'Metal detector guy here - Just wanted to let you know this wasn't me'. No one seems to want to talk about it after the accused posted. Whatever. I just ordered a new guitar, so I don't really care about that anymore, and have something much more interesting to turn my thought towards.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ckpage86

ckpage86

Jan 7, 2017
Tucson, AZ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just get off Facebook, man. Let the women have their drama.

I am on there as it is a page for our neighborhood. There have been some useful things on there in the past. I honestly wouldn't have even known she complained about me on there if she didn't tell me about it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Facebook? I don't go there. The world does not revolve around me. Some people, like your lady, just don't have a life.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It's encounters/people like this, is the reason that 99% of my turf hunting is done at night nowadays. So peaceful. So serene. Let's face it: detecting in turf has "connotations" (that you might be about to leave a hole). Thus you can spend your whole life trying to appease and get everyone's approval ..... OR .... you can just do it when gripers aren't around. Some people might call that "sneaking around". Ok, fine then .... SNEAK AROUND. 8-)

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Facebook? I don't go there. The world does not revolve around me. Some people, like your lady, just don't have a life.

I got on Facebook about 8 years ago and it brings way too much drama. Deleted it 4 years ago. So peaceful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes i do not do Facebook or any of those sites all i use is a few treasure sites. And as for you tube i use it for information if i have to repair something i do not know much about . You tube helped me with plumbing , deck building and some auto repairs.. I will not even watch detecting on you tube.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread