🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally I don't get Excited over finding one coin
any more. even a Wheat cent.

But Friday I decided it was time to search my yard
for an Hour for the unknown'th. time.

only pulled one Penny out.

1930 Wheat. Don't ever count anyplace out.
Next time Silver ;)

!####!LastScan.jpg
!###!LastScan.jpg

Upvote 0

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Nice find!

I am constantly amazed at the finds people make in areas that were called "hunted out" or "cleaned out".

Just about every time I hear that for an area that has produced coins in good amounts, I laugh. :)

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all you need to do is Slow Down,
& Listen Very closely.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Sometimes a change in coil or even a different detector brings a whole new view of the area.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can search a spot for years and it will still produce due to the angle you approach and the cone of the coil's field.

I know of a couple wood chip piles in an old park that will still give me Wheat cents. When I was a kid, our uncles would show up for family reunions with a box of saw dust an wood chips. These would get a few handful of coins for us kids to find while they played cards and drank a beer. When you cover every inch of the small area and have all the coins, you can change direction and find more. After a few times doing this, you get it all. Then the next time your there, it's like someone either planted more wheaties or you somehow missed them.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
It's weird cause I can find 30-40 wheat pennies in a day and not get very excited. The next week I go to the hunted out park and get a wheat penny and I feel great. ;D ;D It does give you hope that there is still that rare coin waiting for you....

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the greatest triumphs in metal detecting is pulling just one more coin--no matter what it is!--from a heavily hunted site. Especially if the person you're up against is you. :D

Here's a previous post of mine concerning "worked-out" sites:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,71222.msg518861.html#msg518861

And I have one thing to add to the link above: Hunt it after a good rain ;)

Regards,

Buckleboy

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
jeff of pa said:
Normally I don't get Excited over finding one coin
any more. even a Wheat cent.

But Friday I decided it was time to search my yard
for an Hour for the unknown'th. time.

only pulled one Penny out.

1930 Wheat. Don't ever count anyplace out.
Next time Silver ;)
Thats because you are using one of them minelabs. If you were using a whites you would have already cleaned it out. ;D
I do understand what you are saying. I have a little park here in my town, that I have hunted at least 50 times. It still makes my day when I find a wheat or a buffalo nickle. Heck I found my seated dime up there and I know I had already hunted it at least 20 times. The key is to slow down and listen for them faint beeps.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lucky1777 said:
Thats because you are using one of them minelabs. If you were using a whites you would have already cleaned it out. ;D

:)

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I have personal patch (60x25 front yard of bulldozed house) that I "hunted out"
with my whites and tesoro.it produced barbs,mercs,wheats,and buttons.
now with a lot of work and concentration I will squeek out a find.I was thinking of raking
and clearing dead wood when ever I get the dfx or a dd coil.I beleive that most high
traffic sites are not truely hunted out.I found a merc at a local park with history,and
in an obvious spot(on top off tree root less than an inch),this place has been hammered.
with ground freeze and thaw,digging masking trash,proper technique,tools,patience,and
knowing the sites potential will lead to success.

take notes and kick @ss
oh and luck plays in too(come on it takes a loss for your gain).

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
found 2 quarters last night in my front yard (10x15) that had been there a while. i've searched the yard a few times before. goes to show there's always something there.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Went out for an hour and a half yesterday evening, a nail, a door hinge, lots of other bits of iron, tons of coke (It was an old iron works quarry), and a 10 Reichspfennig coin, from 1941.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread